gdw35

MAME ROMs won't load with RetroPie

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 am

I spent a good part of today installing Retro Pie. Apart from a few performance issues with some emulators (maybe because also running Apache and MySQL) I have been able to get several of the emulators up and running. I am however having trouble with the MAME emulator.

All the ROMs in the .../mame/roms folder appear in the menu in emulationstation and I am able to select a ROM and launch the emulator. What happens then is that the emulator prints out that is loading each of the files in the ZIP file and then immediately after that prints out an error for each file that it cannot be found. Is this a configuration or permissions thing or something else? I have the same problem no matter which ROM zip file I select.

Any advice to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Aloshi

Re: MAME ROMs won't load with RetroPie

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 pm

You might want to try launching MAME directly from the command line and see if you can get it working there first.

I believe the launch command will be something like this (taken from the MAME entry to es_systems.cfg made by RetroPie):

Code: Select all

retroarch -L `find /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/ -name "*libretro*.so"` path/to/rom
(Some background information on this command: RetroArch is a multi-emulator "front-end" that uses other emulators as specially compiled, dynamically linked, libraries. the "-L libretro.so" is specifying the library to use.)

Good luck!

gdw35

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks for replying Aloshi. I tried what you said and this what I get:

Code: Select all

pi@GrantsPi ~/RetroPie/roms/mame $ retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/libretro.so --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/mame/retroarch.cfg INVADERS.ZIP
loading invaders.h  
loading invaders.g  
loading invaders.f  
loading invaders.e  

invaders.h   NOT FOUND
invaders.g   NOT FOUND
invaders.f   NOT FOUND
invaders.e   NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Implementation does not support save states. Cannot use rewind.
pi@GrantsPi ~/RetroPie/roms/mame $ 
If I list the files in the ZIP archive I can see that the "missing" files are there.

Any ideas?

Aloshi

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 am

I don't use MAME myself, but I have heard from others that it tends to be picky about what ROM sets it accepts. Perhaps you should try a different .zip?

LemmeFatale

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Aloshi wrote:I don't use MAME myself, but I have heard from others that it tends to be picky about what ROM sets it accepts. Perhaps you should try a different .zip?
This is correct. Specifically, essentially, each version of MAME tends to require different ROM-sets. So, for example, if the version of MAME in RetroPie is 0.106, you'd need to use files intended for MAME 0.106 in order for it to work.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

WOLF13

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 am

gdw35: did you ever solve this?

Return to “Gaming”