thanks

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 pm

Are you trolling?

Its a very obvious no

cricrithezar

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:49 am

Kerbal space program is just a simulation game, and some programs or mods allow you to slow down the simulation rate in KSP, i think the question is, would it run, not would it be playable in real time. you could have some preaty neat videos made with it and mechjeb and it would be quite awesome to have a bunch of RPIs and something like iridium and make multiple missions simultaneously. I am no programmer so i don't know if it would run, but i don't think computing power is necessary and KSP is now linux compatible. Of course there may be many other reasons why this would not work such as the ARM processor ? I really do not know what would keep it from running but it would certainly nt be playable like it is on any other computer (if it even runs at all).

Correct me if i'm wrong on anything, I am no pogrammer and don't know how KSP is coded.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:50 pm

cricrithezar wrote:Kerbal space program is just a simulation game, and some programs or mods allow you to slow down the simulation rate in KSP, i think the question is, would it run, not would it be playable in real time. you could have some preaty neat videos made with it and mechjeb and it would be quite awesome to have a bunch of RPIs and something like iridium and make multiple missions simultaneously. I am no programmer so i don't know if it would run, but i don't think computing power is necessary and KSP is now linux compatible. Of course there may be many other reasons why this would not work such as the ARM processor ? I really do not know what would keep it from running but it would certainly nt be playable like it is on any other computer (if it even runs at all).

Correct me if i'm wrong on anything, I am no pogrammer and don't know how KSP is coded.
It is incredibly CPU and GPU intensive and runs poorly on anything but a proper desktop PC with a full GPU. The pi wont even get past a loading screen.

The pi connected via some sort of serial cable could well act as a mechjeb though, run the game on the desktop PC and connect the pi and let the pi act as a controller only.

mrpi64

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 pm

6677 wrote:Are you trolling?

Its a very obvious no
dude, NO trolling. :x
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

mrpi64

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 pm

would it work? no. but someone could probably make a clone. no comment, jamesh.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 pm

mrpi64 wrote:would it work? no. but someone could probably make a clone. no comment, jamesh.
Comment.

You really need to understand how much effort is involved in this. Your answer to everything is 'port it' or 'clone it'. The first is impossible without source code, and the second, depending on the app, would require man years of work. I'm not saying people shouldn't try of course, they are welcome to do anything they want. Just be realistic on the amount of work required.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

OtherCrashOverride

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:16 pm

mrpi64 wrote:but someone could probably make a clone.
That 'someone' could be you!

mrpi64

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 am

I'm not that good at much, especially that! :D
I'm happy to help.

MaxxB

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 pm

I wonder if they would release an API, that way you could use the Pi as a programmable 'probe' that could run in a multiplayer mod.
I don't see this replacing the client and the pretty GUI, but it might be fun to create a probe that could be programmed to launch, fly to an asteroid, land, do science and then either return to Kerbin or harvest minerals. There is a mod that enables multiplayer and the unmanned probes could be used to demonstrate how NASA and ESA plan and execute their missions without GUI or real time camera feeds. Any adjustments to course etc could also be programmed to include transmission delays to simulate the huge distances involved.

It's way beyond what I'm capable of, but it's an idea that might provide a fun project for someone.

Maxx

Return to “Gaming”