Page 1 of 1

New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug? [SOLVED]

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 pm
by Robert_M
So, here I am - new to Minecraft, and my first exposure to it is on the Raspberry Pi.

There's something that happens with annoying regularity, and I'm wondering if it's a feature or a bug.

I'll be happily digging out structures or building something when the game acts as if the mouse buttons are stuck. Sometimes it's the left-click and it goes beserk hacking away at what I've been carefully building over hours of work. Other times it's the right-click and I get a storm of unwanted blocks.

When I quit the game and go to the LXTerminal, I see the same code:

Code: Select all

random.get: 1185741083
I've learned just enough to realize the Pi Edition is in "Creative" mode, which I take to mean is conducive to spending hour after hour just building things or hacking into the underground, so if this activity from the game is intentional, is there a way for me to shut if off permanently?

At first, I thought this was happening due to what I would call an "overload in the command buffer" as it initially seemed to happen when I was clicking like mad to hack out tunnels. I imagined that it was getting confused about how many times I had actually clicked the button and it was getting "stuck in a loop" of button clicks. Since then, I tried (Really!) to slow down how quickly I click the buttons. And now it really does seem to happen randomly.

So - to summarize my questions: A.) Is anyone else experiencing this? B.) Is there a way to make it stop?

I've tried searching online for clues about this (both general searching and on the Minecraft Wiki) and haven't found anything that speaks to this specific line of code. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!




SOLVED - it turns out that if the action of chopping blocks or placing blocks is "stuck" hit the corresponding mouse button one more time to clear it.

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:34 am
by spartanx13
A.) Is anyone else experiencing this?
This happens to me fairly often on my Dell laptop [Windows 7] . I don't know how it works on the Pi version of MC though. In fact, I didn't even know there was a Minecraft Pi version.

B.) Is there a way to make it stop?
I honestly don't know, but as an experiment, goto [url]http:/mineshafter.info/downloads[/url] and install the "Mineshafter Proxy" it's no charge and is virus free. Try it instead and see if you experience the same issues.

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 am
by malakai
I have not noticed this behavior but considering it is still in Alpha and at an early stage I would either post on their forums as the main site doesn't really have any method of getting help or track any bugs they may or may not be aware of. I would think unless you notice any issues in game It could be safe to just ignore it and consider it a quirk of how it was ported to the Pi. It is basically an early version of the Pocket edition if I understood the development process that was reworked to be usable with the Pi.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/216 ... i-edition/

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 pm
by LemmeFatale
This might sound crazy, but what sort of mouse and power-supply are you using, and are you using the most recent Raspbian image? Also, does this mouse-button sticking ever occur outside of the game?

The reason I ask is just in case it's related to the key/button "sticking" issues that I seem to recall were an issue previously, rather than related to Minecraft: Pi Edition itself.

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm
by sdd
random keys sticking is a bug on the pc version, a quick fix is to install optifine. This doesn't help much for the pi though, but if you press escape while its happening I think that will stop it. It did on pc anyway, might work here.

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm
by Robert_M
malakai wrote:I have not noticed this behavior but considering it is still in Alpha and at an early stage I would either post on their forums as the main site doesn't really have any method of getting help or track any bugs they may or may not be aware of. I would think unless you notice any issues in game It could be safe to just ignore it and consider it a quirk of how it was ported to the Pi. It is basically an early version of the Pocket edition if I understood the development process that was reworked to be usable with the Pi.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/216 ... i-edition/
Malakai - Thanks for the forum page link. Since I didn't find one on the main Minecraft Pi page, I just assumed it didn't exist.

Thanks! :-)

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 pm
by Robert_M
LemmeFatale wrote:This might sound crazy, but what sort of mouse and power-supply are you using, and are you using the most recent Raspbian image? Also, does this mouse-button sticking ever occur outside of the game?

The reason I ask is just in case it's related to the key/button "sticking" issues that I seem to recall were an issue previously, rather than related to Minecraft: Pi Edition itself.

O, how I wish it were simply an issue of lack of power!

Alas, no - I have a 1A USB hub powering my Pi and I'm using a wired mouse; yes, I have the latest image; and no, it doesn't exhibit this behavior outside of the game. Thanks for offering help, though! :-)

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm
by LemmeFatale
Ah, damn. Well, at least all bases are being covered, right? :)

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 pm
by OnDek_27
That is the seed. Your world continues to have the same number each time, but if you create a new world, it would be different. I believe you could stop it by going into the Minecraft source files, but I have not found those yet. They are written in C++, so you would need to know that to edit them. I know enough about C++ to get rid of that, if you are able to find the files. But is it really that annoying? I don't really care about it, because it does not affect my mods or the game-play. It isn't a bug, and it allows you to see what the world is you are playing on, if the future versions allow you to enter a seed for new worlds. Just ignore it, it doesn't matter.

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 am
by Robert_M
OnDek_27 wrote:That is the seed. Your world continues to have the same number each time, but if you create a new world, it would be different. I believe you could stop it by going into the Minecraft source files, but I have not found those yet. They are written in C++, so you would need to know that to edit them. I know enough about C++ to get rid of that, if you are able to find the files. But is it really that annoying? I don't really care about it, because it does not affect my mods or the game-play. It isn't a bug, and it allows you to see what the world is you are playing on, if the future versions allow you to enter a seed for new worlds. Just ignore it, it doesn't matter.
I wish I could say that I understand all of your comment, but I think I got enough of the gist to realize the "random:get" isn't really related to the problem that I'm having. Sure enough, I opened the game, then immediately moved to the LXTerminal window, and there was the command. The fact that I was seeing it after the errors was just happenstance and not part of the problem, so that part of my question is officially SOLVED. :-)

So - thank you for that part, OnDek_27!

But, to reiterate, the UNSLOVED problem that I'm having is that at random times, the game acts as if the mouse buttons are stuck and being held down. Sometimes it means chopping or bashing through carefully-wrought work (depending on which inventory item I'm currently holding). Other times it means I'm suddenly boxed in and surrounded with a mushrooming mass of blocks I didn't intend to place.

I'm curious if this could be at all related to using an HDMI to VGA converter box? I kind of doubt it, but I can't think of anything else about my setup that is so different from everyone else's; and am stumped as to why no one else has had this problem. I've even considered it might be caused by leaning my hand on the space bar while using the mouse, so I modified how I hold my hands at the keyboard, but that didn't seem to help. I've also changed the memory share to give the GPU more memory, but that doesn't seem to make it any better. (I've yet to try 448 GPU 64 CPU, but I don't expect that to make much difference if 384 GPU to 128 CPU didn't.)

For a bit of further information, I downloaded the game from within the Raspberry Pi, from the desktop GUI, so there was no issue of transferring files between computers.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, I'd certainly appreciate hearing about it - at the very least to commiserate at our misfortune.

Otherwise, I suspect it's ultimately just a symptom of this being such an early release and that it will, hopefully, be resolved in later versions.


I appreciate all the comments offered so far on this issue. Thanks, gang!

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm
by OnDek_27
Is your version the leaked copy or the official download from http://pi.minecraft.net/?page_id=10 ?

Re: New to Minecraft - is this a feature or a bug?

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 am
by Robert_M
It's the official download.

I used the Raspberry Pi to download it directly to the SD card. Everything seemed to work just fine with the download and install.

I don't know if it's just more unrelated randomness or not, but the game seems to run better on my older Rev. 1 board with 256 MB RAM than it does on the Rev. 2 board. I've adjusted the memory split to be 128 / 128 so it'll work on either Pi, but it seems to like the older one better. At least, it runs longer before it misbehaves.

I'm considering going to the second-hand computer shop to pick up another wired mouse, just to see if maybe by some weird chance the game doesn't like the one I'm using - who knows? Even though the mouse is causing no other problems with the Pi maybe Minecraft and my mouse got into a fight when I wasn't looking and now they just disagree on principle.