altella

about MAME, ROMS and PS3 dualshock

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 am

Hello all;

Yesterday I installed for the first time MAME emulator. It works, but I have some questions...
1.- AdvanceMAME vs. Pi MAME or other versions, which is best? All the ROMS work in all versions?
2.- I have installed AdvanceMAME, it is possible to rum elaborated games such as MetalSlug? Which version of ROM do I need?
3.- Has anyone installed PS3 dualshock controller to use it with MAME?

Thanks in advance !!

Jako

Re: about MAME, ROMS and PS3 dualshock

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi!!!

I'm not sure about what is Pi Mame (maybe the imame4all from the PiStore), but take a look at this forum and see The Retropie Project, that includes a very optimized versions of "imame4all" and "final burn". With these and the Roms of the 0.35 version of mame you will have a nice set, including neogeo at fullspeed of course. AdvanceMame and the first mame emu for the PI,its nice, but the speed is not perfect in all games.

You can play games, control the mouse and keyboard... too with a Ps3 Sixaxis and a bluetooth device (a nice one), but try to find a older Raspbian Distro, because with last updates that Sixaixis program don't work. I see that you are from the north of spain, and me from the south hahaha, we speak the same languaje, if you need some help send me a PM, it can be a mess at the start. Here we only can speak in english. Good luck! :)
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

welshy

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

altella
I will try and answer your questions succinctly -

Q1. “AdvanceMAME vs. Pi MAME or other versions, which is best? All the ROMS work in all versions?”
Answer - I assume by “Pi MAME” you are referring Shea Silverman’s Binary/Card Image which is a version of AdvMAME 0.106. The best performing version of AdvMAME I have found thus far is AdvMAME 0.94. By definition there is an increase in performance over AdvMAME 0.106.0 (This is usually the case in emulation, newer revisions tend to be for better compatibility/accuracy, NOT optimisation!) BBUK has produced an automatic Installer
Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=32259

Most (But not all) ROMs are trasferable. You can either use clrmame to convert them OR just search and Download ROMS for the specific version. Unfortunately a great many ROM Download sites DO NOT list these individually but as a list (i.e. the specific ROM Set for the version of MAME). I previously posted a list of the ROM Set’s required for the games I considered playable in v0.106
Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=29427

On further testing with AdvMAME 0.94, here are some additions that I’m happy to sign off as “Fullspeed” although I have marked with an Asterisk Games that have issues/sound problems but play acceptably

KEY - GAMEMAME, MAME FILE CODE, REVISION, SAMPLES REQUIRED
Cloak & Dagger, cloak, rev 5, No
Galaga, galaga, Namco rev B, No
Gauntlet, gauntlet, rev 14, No
Golden Axe*, goldnaxe, set 6, No
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, indytemp, set 1, No
Marble Madness, marble, set 1, No
Paperboy*, paperboy, rev 3, No
Phoenix , phoenix, Amstar, No
Space Invaders, invaders, N/A, Yes
Street fighter II*, sf2, World 910522, No
Strider* , strider, US set 1, No
Tempest, tempest, rev 3, No
Vigilante, vigilant, World, No

RETRO PIE - Uses iMAME4ALL which in some cases has improved performance (NB For Neo-Geo Emulation Retro Pie actually uses GnGeo as it's core, NOT iMAME4ALL!). There is a Card Image available at petrockblog’s site
Link Here - http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/

MAME4ALL 4 Pi - pudding has produced this, it uses MAME v0.37b5 ROMS. Optimised for the Raspberry Pi with dispmanx graphics, SDL input and ALSA sound. Works in X-Windows or Console. Runs with a frontend gui or traditional MAME command line mode. It out performs AdvMAME by a considerable margin (200-250%). Thusly, Neo-Geo Titles are available at Fullspeed and even Games such as Out Run are perfectly playable (Approx 90% at Clockspeed 900MHz). However, MAME4ALL uses a different ROM set to AdvMAME 0.106, some games are transferable, some are not. Again, use clrmame to convert them OR just search and Download ROMS for MAME v0.37b5

Get it from the Pi store http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/mame4all_pi

Homepage is https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/

Q2 - “I have installed AdvanceMAME, it is possible to rum elaborated games such as MetalSlug? Which version of ROM do I need?”
Answer for AdvMAME 0.106 you will require ROMS for MAME 0.106, however, I would class Neo-Geo Titles as Unplayable due to speed issues (Even with AdvMAME 0.94). Either use MAME4ALL 4 Pi, RETRO PIE or GnGeo (A Neo-Geo Specific Emualtor)
Q3.- Has anyone installed PS3 dualshock controller to use it with MAME?
Answer, it seems users have indeed managed this, check the Forum for details

Hope That Helps!
Last edited by welshy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

altella

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Wonderful responses, thank you very much !!

etherbest

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 am

Great response welshy.

welshy

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 am

altella
One thing I did miss on my original reply of note -

AdvMAME vs MAME4ALL
There is one BIG difference between these versions of MAME, AdvMAME will play MANY MORE ROM Set’s than MAME4ALL, this is because -

AdvMAME - Written for MAME users who instead of using a computer to facilitate its use, use the Program in a Dedicated Cabinet (Which is Constructed). This is why there is the facility to input exacting display output into the .rc (Configure File) depending on which Monitor is to be used (i.e. device_video_clock 5 – 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 – 50 / 15.73 / 60 for HDMI on the RPi)

MAME4ALL - Written for MAME users of Handhelds (GP32, PSP, Pandora, Caanoo etc), which, by their nature are less powerful than a Desktop/Laptop, thus ROM Sets are more restricted. This is also the reason some of the input/output facilities are NOT used (Note the first release of puddings MAME4ALL does NOT have external Joystick support, which he is now addressing)

So AdvMAME is the Best Choice!
Well, perhaps not, even though it plays ROM Sets including (Virtua Fighter (SEGA MODEL 1 HARDWARE), Killer Instinct (MIDWAY KILLER INSTINCT HARDWARE)) for instance, the fundamental Power of the RPi is probably NEVER going to facilitate their use (Even with Open GLES Optimization). This is because MAME is dependent on the Host CPU for most of its calculations, it DOESNT generally offset these against the Sound Card/GPU like many Modern Emulators (e.g. Dolphin (GameCube/Wii), SuperModel (SEGA Model 3)). The ARM CPU inside the RPi is roughly equivalent to a Pentium II at approximately 300-400MHz (i.e. not very powerful)

Unfortunately this is Emulation for you! There is NEVER a BEST option, only various solutions. It’s up to you to decide which best suits your needs!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”