welshy

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am

supper
PiFBA works with a Wii remote so I see no reason why PiMAME4ALL would not as pudding wrote both (using standard SDL Linux Raw input). Have a search on the Forum/Web, you should find instructions for setting up a Wii Remote on the RPi.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

joacliba

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 am

What happened to this project? The emulator isn't in the pi store now.

And ... I tried to find a recent post from "pudding" without lucky. What happened to him?

joacliba

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I know that, the code google page is working but it's weird ...

JTCook

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 am

Well I was able to solve my trouble with Spy Hunter. I didn't have an analog joystick to test so I went straight to the source code. I changed the steering wheel to AD Stick X and also changed the auto center code to immediately snap back to center once the controls are released. I also changed the peddle to AD Stick Y to have more control when you are driving in High gear. After those changes, Spy Hunter actually became playable with digital controls (as opposed to weaving around the road like a drunk).

mikiec

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

by biobern » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 pm
Hello,
I've built an installation for a MAME Bartop Machine that boots directly into mame4all. I'd like to have a boot process as silent as possible. I've already added "quiet" to "cmdline.txt" and removed "console=tty1". Also I removed the splash screens and the splash movie. The boot process is already pretty silent now, but I still get the error message "wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found".
I don't need any wlan, I just want to suppress the error message.
Any ideas?
Thanks.....
It looks like the WiFi check built into the PiMAME menu program.

Try this - edit the file
/home/pi/pimame_files/menu.py

find the line that begins...
wlan = subprocess.check_output(.....etc

and add a # at the start of the line so that it reads...
#wlan = subprocess.check_output(.....etc

This will remove the WiFi check and should stop the message you're getting. Let me know if this works or not.

biobern

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Husar wrote:I am finall up and running with my arcade controls. Now I need to get my trackball working.

How would a USB trackball be enabled to use in MAME4ALL? I have a Happ 3'' trackball that is USB. It works just like a mouse in X. In MAME4ALL I have looked in the mame.cfg for something like mouse=1 or 0 but that setting is not there like you would expect from the mame.ini file.

Is there something different I need to do to enable trackball support for games like centipede and missle command.
Maybe I have a workaround for you: It seems that you have to remove your USB-Joystick (do you have one?) and reboot, then your Trackball will work out of the box.
In case you use a keyboard encoder like "ultimarc i-pac" for your Joystick instead of a normal USB-Joystick, you should have Joystick and Trackball working at the same time.

Does this help?

biobern

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:07 pm

mikiec wrote:
by biobern » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 pm
Hello,
I've built an installation for a MAME Bartop Machine that boots directly into mame4all. I'd like to have a boot process as silent as possible. I've already added "quiet" to "cmdline.txt" and removed "console=tty1". Also I removed the splash screens and the splash movie. The boot process is already pretty silent now, but I still get the error message "wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found".
I don't need any wlan, I just want to suppress the error message.
Any ideas?
Thanks.....
It looks like the WiFi check built into the PiMAME menu program.

Try this - edit the file
/home/pi/pimame_files/menu.py

find the line that begins...
wlan = subprocess.check_output(.....etc

and add a # at the start of the line so that it reads...
#wlan = subprocess.check_output(.....etc

This will remove the WiFi check and should stop the message you're getting. Let me know if this works or not.
Thanks for that hint. I solved the problem in a different way, but I cannot remember how I did it at the moment. Stupid me! Thanks anyway!

cacophony555

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 am

Anybody get Indiana Jones working? I have 4 different romset versions (all supposedly 37b5). They load the title screen and demo loop fine, but never register a coin.

welshy

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 am

cacophony555
I have had the same issue (with the latestt rev), it definitely worked in a previous version!

cacophony555

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:58 am

welshy wrote:cacophony555
I have had the same issue (with the latestt rev), it definitely worked in a previous version!
I tried this early version, but it still has the same issue:
http://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/so ... d0e06dbd9c

I wonder which version worked...

Or maybe you're thinking of AdvMame?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 01#p432701

welshy

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:17 am

cacophony555 wrote:Or maybe you're thinking of AdvMame?
Nope, it definitely worked in both, I was playing it on AdvMAME with my nephew and we were in hysterics because the samples sounded funny. So I loaded it in MAME4ALL but he decided it was much more hilarious with the speech distorted! I don't recall which version it was but it was back in August because he came to visit on school holidays. To be honest, it was still distorted in MAME4ALL.

KitchUK

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 am

Has anyone been able to get 'Toki' working with mame4all? I get garbled graphics with this one.

Vanfanel

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:57 am

KitchUK wrote:Has anyone been able to get 'Toki' working with mame4all? I get garbled graphics with this one.
Same here, Toki shows grabled graphics and stalls on the grabled title screen.

itsmedoofer

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi,

Been trying without success to get MAME4ALL to load ROMs from a network share.... My setup guide was here...
http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/731/ ... k-share/p1

It can see the share, ROMs are listed but when I got to load a game it says the the individual files in the zip are missing... If I copy the same ROM onto the SD card it loads fine.

The ROMs load fine in ADVANCEMAME.

This is the line from fstab..
//192.168.0.6/roms /media/roms cifs username=martin,password=password,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

This is from my mame.cfg......
rompath=roms;/media/roms/MAME-37

ls -la gives

drwxr-xr-x 0 pi pi 0 Feb 14 13:30 MAME-37

Has anyone got any ideas ? The frustrating this is it did work briefly however after a reboot it started failing again...

Cheers Guys....

manny

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

I've got mame4all and I copied all my roms from my computer and put them in the pi's ROM folder and not all the games work like bubble Bobble and marvel vs Capcom and tekken tag tournament, other games have worked but the others don't what can I do?

KitchUK

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:55 pm

manny wrote:I've got mame4all and I copied all my roms from my computer and put them in the pi's ROM folder and not all the games work like bubble Bobble and marvel vs Capcom and tekken tag tournament, other games have worked but the others don't what can I do?
Try using PiFBA for these games (Capcom CPS1 & 2).

welshy

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:56 am

manny
Welcome to the Forum! Tekken TT will not run in PiMAME4ALL, for a full list of the Titles and their MAME Codes) which are compatible, Open a terminal, 'CD' into the Folder, then

Type: ./mame -listgames

If you are using MAME ROMS from another System (e.g. PC) the CORRECT ROM version MUST be used, for MAME4ALL you are looking for MAME version 0.37b5 or 0.37b11 ROMS. The MAME Code reveals the revision needed, i.e. if you want to run Asteroids the Code for MAME4ALL is 'asteroid', asteroids, asteroid1 etc. are different revisions of the ROM and wont work!

As KitchUK has suggested Marvel vs Capcom works in PiFBA, for a full list of compatible Titles, Open a terminal, 'CD' into the folder, then

Type: ./fba2x --gamelist

This creates a txt File in the Folder which you can view which again, lists all the compatible Titles with their MAME Codes

Hope that Helps!
Last edited by welshy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsmedoofer

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:16 pm

I've fixed the issue with not loading over a windows network share, I've used this entry in my fstab and it works fine:

//192.168.0.6/roms /media/roms cifs username=martin,password=password,nounix,noserverino,defaults,users,auto 0 0

Info was borrowed from here:-

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... re-944766/

resoncamper

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:44 am

Anyone know if it's possible to force mame4all to run at 50hz. Currently have it running on a crt tv and the sound is quite choppy, found out how to do it for the other emulators by adding a line to retroarch.cfg but from what I've read about mame4all it is unaffected by this.

welshy

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 am

resoncamper
Welcome to the Forum! MAME differs from other emulators as it replicates Arcade Cabs, it has no setting for PAL/NTSC due to their nature (they all run on 60Hz refresh rate Monitors irrespective of Country). The differences in display Fz only effected Systems connected to their native TV display encoding modulators, be it PAL: UK (50Hz), NTSC: USA/JAPAN (60Hz) or SECAM: EUR/AFRICA (50Hz). Some versions of MAME take account for this by having Option Settings for Cabs Built on CRT TV's with differing refresh rates (AdvMAME for instance), but as MAME4ALL was originally a fork for Handhelds where this wasn't an issue (PSP, GP32 etc.) it probably isn't present in the code as an Option. Depending on how old you PAL CRT they may be a solution, some later models had NTSC/60Hz compatibility but often only for RGB connection, not composite or RF, check the technical documentation for the display. OR you could force the RPi into 50Hz Mode, see if that helps See Here - http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Jessie

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:15 am

How do I get this emulator to detect my joysticks? I hit TAB and go into the menus and it will detect any button just fine, but when I go to any section that asks for directional input it will not work with me. Almost like it expect analogue input. Is there a config file I can just edit somewhere with my jstest results?

welshy

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 am

Jessie
There should be a config file in the requisite MAME4ALL_pi Folder (mame.cfg) utilising standard SDL input codes for Joystick and Keyboard which can be edited.

Jessie

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:22 pm

welshy wrote:Jessie
There should be a config file in the requisite MAME4ALL_pi Folder (mame.cfg) utilising standard SDL input codes for Joystick and Keyboard which can be edited.
I'll look in there again. Seems like there were no lines for input in that file but I will give it another look.

welshy

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Jessie
Appologies, my error, the latest version auto detects joysticks then you should be able to defined inputs in the usual MAME manner thru Tab, Input (General) or Input (this Game).
Last edited by welshy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”