deltalimablahblah²

@Fidelius

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 am

Hi Fidelius, hi all,

the script

Code: Select all

ls -1 roms | gawk '{system("./mame -verifyroms " $0)}' | gawk '/is bad/'
works realy fine. Is there any chance to expand the script for auto remove/autorename none working roms?

ZakAttacks

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 am

when I edit the file, mame4all_pi/cfg/default.cfg with nano, it tries to "Convert from Mac Format" and then shows miscellaneous characters and a lot of @ symbols. Leafpad just shows a weird symbol. I can't even paste it into this post. Any idea why it is doing this, and can someone post their working default.cfg for me so I can edit controls? Thanks!

kanageddaamen

Thu May 08, 2014 6:21 pm

I am implementing pi Mame4all using the composite output going to a CRT tv. Everything is working really well except that when a game uses a narrow but tall resolution (usually older games, like galaga, donkey kong, that sort of thing) the top and bottom of the screen are cut off. This usually results in not being able to see the score, or number of credits or lives, etc.

Everything works fine in more traditional 4:3 and similar aspect ratio games.

Is there any resolution for this? When I plug the pi into a HD tv with an HDMI cable, the issue is not present, but I would really like this resolved for the CRT tv in my cabinet.

kradams67

Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

I have been using MAME4ALL for Pi and pretty much everything works except for keeping my joystick mappings. I've been trying to use Input: General to map my joystick buttons for 1 and 2 players as well as the coins (start). It works while I play that game, but as soon as I start another game, my mappings are gone. I tried searching for the default.cfg file, but I do not have that file or the cfg folder it should be in. Is there another file out there I should be using?
Thanks

sharkthemepark

Thu May 15, 2014 9:44 pm

I've got an issue as well: using the latest version of Mame4All-pi and a fresh raspbian install, the sound lags ever so slightly behind the video.

As in, when the game is started, the sound works fine, but after a short time it begins drifting until there is a noticeable delay between an action happening on screen and its corresponding sound.

One workaround I've found is pausing and unpausing the game to let the sound "catch up," at which point it syncs up perfectly for a short time before desyncing again

welshy

Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 am

sharkthemepark wrote:I've got an issue as well: using the latest version of Mame4All-pi and a fresh raspbian install, the sound lags ever so slightly behind the video.
Welcome to the Forum! It could be there have been Kernel changes in the latest version of Raspian (there was a previous, similar 'Issue' with Stella a few months back), but it seems on the new website the 'changes' Doc has been removed so I cant check/confirm! Try an older version

Here - http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/down ... /raspbian/

If this resolves the sound lag, msg back and I will report it (or you can See Link Below), the Testing Team were excellent at resolving the previous Stella issue which also improved many other Emulators due to an underlying pcm_underrun problem!
See Here for more info - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=57035
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

danny_bhoy67

Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 am

Hi, I'd like to throw my joystick woes into the mix in the hope that someone has a solution for me!

I've read through the thread and noticed similar but not identical issues. I've also read through proposed fixes on the Google issues thread and seen some fixes, but I'm not sure any apply directly.

I have the latest binary for mame4all-pi and am trying to map the buttons for my Arcade Pro (Datel Arcade Stick) using the in game settings (Tab button > Input General), but despite being able to map all the buttons I need, I get absolutely no response from the 6 axis joystick. I have successfully managed to map my PS3 controllers to use their analogue sticks, so I know it is possible to map 3rd party controllers to my build.

My jstest output is:

Joystick (Datel Arcade Stick) has 6 axes (X, Y, Z, Rz, Hat0X, Hat0Y)
and 13 buttons (BtnX, BtnY, BtnZ, BtnTL, BtnTR, BtnTL2, BtnTR2, BtnSelect, BtnSt                                               art, BtnMode, BtnThumbL, BtnThumbR, ?).
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

Axes:  0:-32767  1:-32767  2:-32767  3:-32767  4:     0  5:     0 Buttons:  0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  7:off  8:off  9:off 10:off 11:off 12:off
The thing I don't understand is that the buttons all register responses as expected, however, when I test the joystick, the only values that change are those on axis 4 and 5 - they simply register values that are a combination of 32767 and/or -32767.

This has left me completely confused and strikes me as the reason mame4all doesn't really know how to handle it.

It then is further complicated by the fact the sdljoystick output only read 4 axes:

1 joysticks found
4 numaxes
0 numballs
1 numhats
13 numbuttons
Has any one got any idea what is going on and how I could fix this?

danny_bhoy67

Sun May 18, 2014 6:23 pm

In regards to the issue above...

I got it working on PiFBA by changing the up/down and left/right axes input to 4 and 5 +/- instead of 0 and 1 +/- .

Is there anyway to make mame4all accept this input? I wish it had a text based controller input config file :(

Jessie

Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I have a PS3 Hori stick that wont work with Pi Mame4All either and I have two encoders that I used on my arcade cab that Pi Mame4All wouldn't read the joysticks on as well. I just ended up reflashing the firmware to make them behave like a usb keyboard. This doesn't help you much but I just wanted to let you know there are issues with PS3 controllers and Pi Mame4All. At some point the original author of the software commented on some kind of issues with the "HATs" they use and that it wasn't an easy fix so it would not likely get fixed. Its been a while since I have seen the original author and I don't think anyone is actively working on this project at the moment so I would just move on to another controller if possible.

Possibly someone else knows something else that I don't and will buzz in here. I'm just spatting out what I recall from my poor memory.

danny_bhoy67

Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 pm

I got the PS3 controller working by commenting out the rule that stops controllers being recognised if they have more than 6 axes. I then recompiled and I could map the PS3 controller no problem.

For whatever reason, MAME4aLL-pi won't pick up my arcade controller joystick and I think it has something to do with the axes being inputs 4 +/- and 5+/- instead of 0 +/- and 1+/- but as I could manually edit the fba2x.cfg file, I was able to overcome this on pifba and would really like to get it working on the MAMe4all-pi emulator.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

pH7_JP1

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Way back on Mar 09, dclark61 wrote:
Hey all;

I recently installed a spinner, which basically works like a mouse on X axis only. Works great with every spinner game I've tested such as Tempest and Arkanoid. Can't get it to work with Mad Planets, though (supposed to spin the ship). There are two "dial" input settings, which are set identically to that in Tempest, not sure if that matters. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I would very much like to get a spinner working with Tempest and have had no luck so far. I am using Mame4All as installed with a RetroPi image 2.3. I can't configure the virtual "dial" to respond to a mouse X (horizontal) or Y (vertical) movement. I consider this a prerequisite to buying a spinner or hacking my own. Does anyone have a clue of how to make this work? Apparently, dclark61 at least got this far and that is all I want to do for now.

pH7_JP1

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm

OK, I did figure it out, so I will post my finding here in case someone else needs to solve the same problem. This applies to the RetroPi image 2.3 install. it would have not been correct for some earlier installs and who know about the future, but here goes:

In the directory:

/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi
Edit the file:

mame.cfg
Add this line somewhere in the first section. I added it right after the cheat=no line.

mouse=yes
After doing this, the mouse X-axis controls the player in Tempest automatically. I assume it will work for many games as well.
pH7_JP1 wrote:Way back on Mar 09, dclark61 wrote:
Hey all;

I recently installed a spinner, which basically works like a mouse on X axis only. Works great with every spinner game I've tested such as Tempest and Arkanoid. Can't get it to work with Mad Planets, though (supposed to spin the ship). There are two "dial" input settings, which are set identically to that in Tempest, not sure if that matters. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I would very much like to get a spinner working with Tempest and have had no luck so far. I am using Mame4All as installed with a RetroPi image 2.3. I can't configure the virtual "dial" to respond to a mouse X (horizontal) or Y (vertical) movement. I consider this a prerequisite to buying a spinner or hacking my own. Does anyone have a clue of how to make this work? Apparently, dclark61 at least got this far and that is all I want to do for now.

DanDare

Re: @Fidelius

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:07 am

deltalimablahblah² wrote:Hi Fidelius, hi all,

the script

ls -1 roms | gawk '{system("./mame -verifyroms " $0)}' | gawk '/is bad/'
works realy fine. Is there any chance to expand the script for auto remove/autorename none working roms?
Hi,

Actually playing a bit with MAME (yay!).
I wrote this small script that will create a directory "badroms" under mame root folder (if it doesnt exist already), and move all "bad" roms to it.
You _must_ execute the script from mame's root directory:

#!/bin/bash
# checkroms.sh

mkdir badroms 2&> /dev/null
cd ./roms
ls -1 *zip > ../dumplist.txt
cd ../

while read rom
do

cd ./roms 2&> /dev/null
res=$(../mame -verifyroms $rom | grep "is bad")

if [ "$res" != "" ]; then
echo $res" moving to badroms directory"
mv $rom ../badroms
else
echo $rom" is good"
fi

done < dumplist.txt
cd ../
rm dumplist.txt
Save to a file (e.g. checkroms.sh), under root mame directory and give it right permissions/execution bit (e.g. 'chmod +x checkroms.sh').

Im not any professional coder (neither a one liner one :p) so *Run IT at YOUR own RISK*

salute

22TGL22

Help!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 am

I'm a noob... I have installed the MAME4ALL emulator. I can't figure out how to install ROMS. Please help!

freddog

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:41 am

Is there a recommended joystick/controller to use with mame4all? I'm just curious about what's being used as an arcade controller.

22TGL22

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:25 am

An atari classic joystick. Or if you go on adafruit.com, they sell one for about $15.

JustaLiriK

Re: Help!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 pm

22TGL22 wrote:I'm a noob... I have installed the MAME4ALL emulator. I can't figure out how to install ROMS. Please help!
There's a "rom" folder un the mame4all directory just put jour roms there and launch frontrend.
Codez comme Da Vincy

bidinou

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 am

Hi !

I'm not 100% sure, but I have the feeling that the input lag is lower when not using the scanlines mode in mame4all / fba2x. It used to annoy me more or less (less in mame4all, more in fba2x). Can any of you confirm this ?

It's pretty sad to see the best emulators for the pi are not supported anymore :-( With just a little more work they would have been perfect. Does any of you have any piece of information on this subject ?

Cheers !

Vanfanel

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 am

bidinou wrote:Hi !

I'm not 100% sure, but I have the feeling that the input lag is lower when not using the scanlines mode in mame4all / fba2x. It used to annoy me more or less (less in mame4all, more in fba2x). Can any of you confirm this ?

It's pretty sad to see the best emulators for the pi are not supported anymore :-( With just a little more work they would have been perfect. Does any of you have any piece of information on this subject ?

Cheers !
I -more or less- understand how pudding's MAME4ALL and PiFBA work regarding screen graphics output, and I don't see any reason why they should be laggy: both use a simple double-buffer scheme, where the buffers are exchanged during the vsync period. One uses the BCM DispmanX API, and the other uses GLES2 with a DispmanX EGL context. There are any more buffers, just the visible one and the one being draw into during that frame.
I don't see these emulators laggy, I don't see any input lag in the games that work al 100% speed with stable 60FPS. And, as I say, I don't see why they should be laggy: it's all in the sources, you can see how it's done.
As for the scanlines shader causing extra lag, well, it makes no sense either: why should it? You're using a simple pixel shader anyway, what the scanlines shader is very simple, you can read the code for it. No way it's adding input lag to rock-solid 60FPS games.
Maybe it's your monitor/tv? Look for a "games" mode, if it has one. Try a CRT monitor or TV if you can, compare, etc...

There's nothing more I know on the subject, but I'd really like to hear other opinions: is it really a common idea that piFBA has input lag?

amp1276

Editing the ROM list

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:49 pm

What is the best way to edit the list of ROMs on the front end? I don't want to delete the ROMs just think out the list on the front end.

freddog

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 pm

kanageddaamen wrote:I am implementing pi Mame4all using the composite output going to a CRT tv. Everything is working really well except that when a game uses a narrow but tall resolution (usually older games, like galaga, donkey kong, that sort of thing) the top and bottom of the screen are cut off. This usually results in not being able to see the score, or number of credits or lives, etc.

Everything works fine in more traditional 4:3 and similar aspect ratio games.

Is there any resolution for this? When I plug the pi into a HD tv with an HDMI cable, the issue is not present, but I would really like this resolved for the CRT tv in my cabinet.
From https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/:
If the image goes of [sic] your TV screen then you can change the border width by setting "display_border" in mame.cfg. By default this is set to 24 to cater for most TVs. If you want to remove the border simply set it to 0.
I had truncation issues on my HD TV. I set display_border=24 (it was 0).

bidinou

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 pm

@Vanfanel : thanks for the reply ! I thought other people including pudding acknowledged this issue in the past ? As I refer to input delay, what is at play here could rather be the USB stack ? Or the way USB events are processes ? Or maybe specific emulation cores ? (I remember being shocked by the input delay in RType Leo on my PC with the latest version of MAME while other games seem OK).

On the Pi + PiFBA, I'm especially shocked by the lag in Giga Wing, for instance.

There is something else that still shocks me : how blurry the picture is (and it's not that satisfactory with the pixel shaders effect either) ; it's obvious bilinear filtering makes the picture blurry, but I really do not notice it that much on MAME on my PC and the very same screen.

Sorry for raising the same questions again and again ;)

Cheers !

Vanfanel

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:45 am

@bidinou: can you please point me to where pudding itself acknowledges the delay problem? I would be very interested in reading his words regarding this.
As for the blurry image, yes, it's bilinear filtering but it can be disabled somehow I think.
Maybe the effect is more noticeable at different output resolutions, and that's why it's more noticeable in the Pi compared to your pc on the same monitor.

bidinou

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:38 pm

@Vanfanel : I'll check this ASAP !

Regarding the bluriness, this is my assumption too. It must be due to an intermediate / internal resolution used because in both cases, the picture is then displayed in a screenmode corresponding to my native screen resolution.

Also, when enabling the shader, I can clearly see (on my 1280x1024 issue) that the non "even stretch" + scanlines causes some strange distortion (when scrolling). Which doesn't happen on MAME on PC with scanlines effect (or scanlines shader).

Nitrogen_Widget

Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:24 pm

i'll have to take a closer look but, i'm running mame4all on a 19" 4:3 1280x1024 lcd panel via an hdmi to dvi adaptor in the vertical orientation.
"rotation=1" setting.
my pie is set to output at 640x480.
So is mame4all.

I have noticed that when some games startup their title screens are full screen but the game itself does not stretch fully.

anyway it's looks damn good to me.
too good.
so i enabled the scanlines.
now it looks awesome to me.
except because I have the whole display rotated the scanlines go the wrong way. :)

so I need to stop rotating the pi & rotate the emulator & front end.
I can snap a pic this weekend of a properly rotated & scanline enabled game running.

The only thing is this is a dedicated vertical cab i'm building for classics so the majority of games are mid 80's and lower. (the one's I played back in high school)
I left some of the newer roms in the mix and i'll try them also because maybe you are seeing an issue on games that are newer & require more of the rpi?

Return to “Gaming”