JustaLiriK

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 pm

symbios25 wrote:Hello i`m a little beginner into this but how i can install mame4all manual without the use of PiShop in the raspberry?? there are not any instruction anywhere.thanks
Hi,
you've got to download the archive , search it on http://code.google.comand simply uncompress it in any convenient folder.
Codez comme Da Vincy

welshy

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:38 pm

symbios25
It can be found at the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread here on the Forum

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

bidinou

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:40 pm

It seems Squid has resumed development ! Excellent news !! Any details ?
(posting this on the pifba thread as well)

JustaLiriK

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi,
I've made a bash script to handle emulators and roms launch.
https://github.com/JustaLiriK/rpi-arcad ... r/emulmenu
I need feedbacks and advices to learning purpose.
It's base on dialog paquets wich is available on most distros or easyly
grabable.
Regards.
Codez comme Da Vincy

Acris

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 am

Hello,
sorry for my english, iam french

saw mame4all could use cheats code
cheat.dat the file is present and I have enabled in mame.cfg
It's work fine.

The problem is that the dat file is very old and I am using this one http://cheat.retrogames.com/download/cheat0156.zip
I wonder if there was a possibility to use an archive containing the xml games
again apparently supported format for mame

I tried to replace

Code: Select all

[Directory]
cheat=.
by

cheat=/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/cheats.zip
I launch dodonpachi , tab -> enable cheat but nothing.
Is it possible ?

If it is not possible, how to convert all xml files to cheat.dat ?

Thanks a lot for your replies

d8thstar

how to exit?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:09 am

hi all,

i am new to this board and loving my Pi! i have everything just about all set up except for one issue.

it seems the ability to exit with START+SELECT on a 360 pad was removed Feb. 11, 2015. Is there anyway to set this up in the mame.cfg file?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

pumpkinhead

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 pm

It was changed to a defined QUIT key. On the XBOX 360 controller it defaults to the XBOX button.

From the readme.txt:
* Frontend quit is now a defined QUIT key, START+SELECT no longer work.

d8thstar

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 am

thanks for the reply pumpkinhead.

i tried hitting the xbox button on the controller but it does not quit mame. is there somewhere in a cfg (and which cfg) that I can change this?

thanks for any input.

pudding

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:31 am

Is that to quit the frontend or MAME itself? For MAME you need to configure the buttons in the program itself, i.e. hit TAB.
(aka squid). Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

d8thstar

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:59 am

"Is that to quit the frontend or MAME itself? For MAME you need to configure the buttons in the program itself, i.e. hit TAB."

yes but when i tab to set controls in mame, there is no option to quit or exit the emulator. the keyboard esc key exits but there is no whee to set that within mame itself, at least nothing that i see.

just to be clear, i'd like to be able to set the exit emulator to a button or button combo with a control pad. hitting that should exit whichever game you're playing and return you to a front end. in my case, i am running emulation station.

appreciate any feedback you might have squid and keep up the great work!

etherbest

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 am

pudding wrote:Is that to quit the frontend or MAME itself? For MAME you need to configure the buttons in the program itself, i.e. hit TAB.
Just curious, why did you chose sourceforge to mirror the code?

bidinou

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:04 am

Hi everyone :) Huge news !

My friend Jbam released yesterday an HEAVILY improved version of RetroPie called "HAPPI game center". It's clearly much more than a tweaked RetroPie.

Please check it out : http://happi-game-center.com/ (choose English and click on the top right menu)

For Pi 2 only unfortunately. (binaries are optimized for it and the emulators used are heavier on resources)

--> he replaced MANY emulators with better versions, optimized some of them at source code level (PSX at 100% speed for instance), made some homemade pixel-shaders that give a CRT-like rendering which is really amazing (with no slowdown) - you all read about my complaints regarding MAME4all rendering :) - , added many emulators / platforms (PGM, fullspeed Amiga 1200, PSP, ScummVM, SegaCD/32X...). ATM "MAME" is kinda broken but the FBA build supported many arcade systems (like PGM !!).

It's meant to be used with an USB controller.

(I'm cross posting this in the pifba & mame4all thread)

He spent a couple of fulltime months doing this (12 hours a day or so). He has to get back to work so doesn't know if he'll be able to continue as he has to make a living (he is an independant game developer). I think if there is a huge response and if we support his work, he'll be able to spend some more time on it ; amazing stuff is planned for the future, I'm not sure I can share the information here :) Of course, source code will be released (it's on a repo right now I think) so improvements will eventually be backported to RetroPie.

BTW, please don't hesitate to tell me your remarks about the distro here. I don't want him to be flooded with questions, I'll filter them here (or on another dedicated thread).

Cheers !

Edit : he initially made this for a friend & himself. He needs to clean up the source code before making it available, please be patient :)

kraken667

Tue May 05, 2015 10:14 am

hicksonj wrote:
kraken667 wrote: ...
I have a small 800x600 HDMI monitor, and I got big black borders on both sides. ...
Hi.
In your /boot/config.txt file, what are the following 3 parameters set to?

hdmi_drive
hdmi_group
hdmi_mode
drive=2
group=1
mode=1

Tried change these parameters, nothing happens

gkreidl

Tue May 05, 2015 10:39 am

bidinou wrote:...
Please check it out : http://happi-game-center.com/ (choose English and click on the top right menu)
What a terrible website ...
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

DougieLawson

Tue May 05, 2015 11:07 am

gkreidl wrote:
bidinou wrote:...
What a terrible website ...
It's not just terrible it's 100% completely unusable. The clouds move (following the mouse which is funky), but I can't work out how to get off the home page (which auto re-loaded about five times).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

LittleJoe

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 pm

datajerk wrote: E.g. if the native game resolution is 288x224 and my VGA output is set to 640x480, then resolution=320x240 fixes the problem and every game pixel is exactly 2 VGA pixels. mame4all will stretch the 320x240 over 640x480 but not stretch the 288x224 to 320x240. Instead I get the 288x224 pixel perfect with a small black boarder. I tested with VGA and composite capture devices using 342x256 for VGA (1024x768) and 360x228 for composite (720x576) output and got perfect results.
While I may not yet fully understand how the resolution setting works, :( it seems on my rig (and screen running at 1024 x 768) it behaves as follows:
- 320x240 causes a game to show up at 4x the original resolution - scanlines look really good; works perfectly for a.o. Metal Slug, Jungle King... but causes vertical games and wider games like Final Fight to go off-screen pretty badly (320x240 rotated looks like it'd be the deal for older vertical games, though)
- 640x480 causes game to run at 2x the original resolution (and adds huge black borders) - scanlines look bad; no games going off-screen, though
- 480x360 seems to be the equivalent of 3x - still too large black borders for horizontal games; scanlines are mostly fine
- 400x300 would be 3.5x then - looks like this would be the best setting for a somewhat wider game like Final Fight

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at... Is there a way to pass a different resolution/settings file to mame4all when launching a single game? :? If not, I guess I'll resort to setting it back to auto (i.e. taking the setting out fully) and sticking with just anti-aliasing intead. If anything, this post might help someone else looking into (half-)integer scaling...

JTCook

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Has one been able to get Virtua Racing running from MAME on the Raspi?

cacophony555

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

d8thstar wrote:"Is that to quit the frontend or MAME itself? For MAME you need to configure the buttons in the program itself, i.e. hit TAB."

yes but when i tab to set controls in mame, there is no option to quit or exit the emulator. the keyboard esc key exits but there is no whee to set that within mame itself, at least nothing that i see.

just to be clear, i'd like to be able to set the exit emulator to a button or button combo with a control pad. hitting that should exit whichever game you're playing and return you to a front end. in my case, i am running emulation station.

appreciate any feedback you might have squid and keep up the great work!
You can customize the quit button for the customize menu (can't remember exactly how it's worded), and that button also works to quit the emulator itself if the menu isn't currently up.

cyberbillp

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Mame4all works great except for one problem. It only displays out hdmi.

I installed the itontec 3.5 touch screen. It works great. Console and X work perfectly. But when I run mame4all, it always uses hdmi out.

I think this has to do with mame4all using dispmanx instead of framebuffer, but no matter how hard I look, I can't find settings either in mame4all or the pi for changing the dispmanx video out device.

When I exit mame4all, the pi goes right back to displaying on the touch screen again.

How do I redirect mame4all video output to the touchscreen (fb1)?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:08 pm

cyberbillp wrote: How do I redirect mame4all video output to the touchscreen (fb1)?
Only option with dispmanx apps is something like fbcp but that will hurt performance.
The use of dispmanx of mame4all makes things much faster but will only support gpu driven displays (hdmi, composite, dpi, dsi).
You may be better off using a mame port that doesn't have dispmanx acceleration.

cyberbillp

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks. Do you have any replacement Mame suggestions?

So many seem to be just a wrapper for Mame4all, and not a real Mame4all replacement.

Sorry, I know that's kind of a "not-mame4all" question.

welshy

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:13 am

cyberbillp wrote:Thanks. Do you have any replacement Mame suggestions?
I believe many of the 'SD Card Images' use similar back ends but could be worth trying them, if not, AdvMAME works well but its performace is inferior. You would be restricted to early 90s Titles and before.

Check out the Emulation Thread

Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

cyberbillp

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Advmame works great. Thanks.

spoek

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks Pudding aka Squid for mame4all.

Here is a small blog on some improvements, mainly
- fix on sound lag / skipping
- option for filling the complete display
- option for pixel aspect ratio
- bring down cpu from 98% to 10-15% on a Pi2 with Ms Pac-man

Hope you will include this in the git.

https://spoekblog.wordpress.com

spoek

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 am

hicksonj wrote:Sound latency problem
This problem has been driving me nuts on mame4all-pi. When an emulation session first starts, there is hardly any latency (delay) in sound vs. video. However after about 2 minutes the latency starts to increase until there is nearly 1 second latency. (this is for 8-bit 80s games).
Use the patch I did on the mame source.

read my blog about it..
https://spoekblog.wordpress.com/2016/01 ... me4all-pi/

and to the mame.cfg add:

# turn on vsync waiting
vsync=yes
waitvsync=yes
 inp=inp

Return to “Gaming”