welshy

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:45 pm

antiriad
'But the "voices" of various characters are crackling and at a much more higher volume that the music or other sound effects.'
I don't currently have either title on my Pi but it sounds like (as they are both system 16B board) it could very well be due to the drivers. I run at 900Mhz and don't recall any sound issues with Golden Axe when conducting testing for pudding, it may be (if possible) increasing the CPU may well alleviate the issue (it does suggest 950 as a running overclock). As for the different 'volume' of music/sound effects pressing F1 will put the emulated Cab into 'Service Mode', often there are options available for settings, including sound.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

antiriad

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi and thank you again for your support!
I'm using a "class 10" SD card and I've read that overclocking core and sdram frequence will cause corruption of SD card. It is true?
While if I overclock the arm at 900 what kind of power supply do I need?

Thanks

welshy

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:59 pm

antiriad
I did a quick test for you and unfortunately three is no option in Service Mode for Golden Axe to adjust the music/sound effect levels and I agree, the sound effects do seem to be at a higher volume to the music (there probably isn't much that can be done to alleviate this, its just an effect of the emulation).

With reguards to overclocking
'I've read that overclocking core and sdram frequence will cause corruption of SD card'

Well, the answer to this is 'can', not 'will'. Generally with overclocking the better the power supply the more stable it is, also cooling can cause an issue, although heat shouldn't be a problem with the RPi upto 1000MHz (allowable overclock). I have overclocked all sort of CPU's over the years and there is NEVER an 'exacting' solution, often individual chips can O/C higher than others.
The 'cheap' PSU I generally use (its just an HTC phone charger!) is only stable to 900MHz due to inconsistent 6v overvolt (on all 3 of my RPi's) using a better one I can achieve 1000MHz. From what I have tested/read SD card corruption is only an issue at 950MHz (mine are stable for a while at this level, then corrupt!) and above, generally dependant on the PSU used.
The best thing to do is make a 'back up' of your SD Card Image (so if it corrupts you can just re-flash it), then raise the O/C slowly, one level at a time, use it for a while, if its ok, up it again and you will find the 'Stable' limit on your set up.

antiriad

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

welshy
Thank you for all the explanation.

MAME4ALL, that is always based on MAME 0.37b5, is used in a lot of devices like tablet, smartphone, portable console, and now Raspberry.
Strange that nobody attempted to "fork" MAME 0.3765 to fix these small imperfection in emulation, or the sound missing in some titles. :cry:

Nevertheless MAME4ALL on Pi is great. 8-)

antiriad

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 am

Yesterday I've tested MAME4ALL on a HDTV via HDMI cable.
Video quality is stunning, but:

- Scanlines are not correct at HD resolution: they are too thin and not regular. I really don't care too much about it: eventually I will use SLG-HD to add scanlines to the rPI. But with antialiasing it seems that speed is better on some games. It is only a my impression?

- Performance drop switching from composite (SD) to HDMI (HD) it is really noticeable: at 800mhz I had most of the games at 100% speed on my CRT TV... while on my HDTV I had to overclock to 900mhz to reach (almost) the same speed. So I suppose that rPI and MAME4ALL is slower at high resolution like 1080p? There is a way to use HDMI output but fixed to a lower resolution (like 480p)?

Thanks

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:43 pm

There have recently been a number of fixes to the SD card driver which should improve / eliminate the corruption problems that were seen...

Be interested if you still see issues with latest rpi-update

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

welshy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:10 pm

gsh
I had read there have been some changes to the Drivers/Kernel, will do an update, conduct some testing and let you know of my findings.

antiriad
'But with antialiasing it seems that speed is better on some games. It is only a my impression?'
I haven't done any testing in this regard but it obviously exerts an overhead in computation. Donkey Kong runs at around 250-300% and Outrun 93% (of optimum) at 900MHz with antialiasing set, so yes, dependant on the title you may see variations.

'There is a way to use HDMI output but fixed to a lower resolution (like 480p)?'
Yes in the boot config
In console or a Terminal Type - sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Approximately half way down You will see
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

Remove the # and edit to whatever you wish e.g.
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=600

Then left ctrl & x
y (yes) to change settings
Enter

Reboot your RPi to make the changes

All the available hdmi modes are listed Here - http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Ridrok

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:06 pm

antiriad wrote:welshy
Thank you for all the explanation.

MAME4ALL, that is always based on MAME 0.37b5, is used in a lot of devices like tablet, smartphone, portable console, and now Raspberry.
Strange that nobody attempted to "fork" MAME 0.3765 to fix these small imperfection in emulation, or the sound missing in some titles. :cry:

Nevertheless MAME4ALL on Pi is great. 8-)
Hello,

I probably can fix some problems in Mame4all-rpi since I currently try to port V60 cpu from recent versions of mame into Mame4all-rpi to see if I can one day run Virtua Racing. By the way, it's a hard work and I am not sure I will succeed one day.

So if you can tell me more on the games running but having problems and if possible tell me what version of mame did fix the problem, then I may setup a git fork and begin fixing glitches.

Ridrok

antiriad

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Ridrok,
this is great!!!

But maybe it's better to communicate via email?

biobern

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi all!
Thank you for this GREAT imlementation of mame4all. Performance is GREAT!
I'm a newbie here but since I have MAME/MAME4ALL on pretty much all my technical devices I had little problems to make this work.

Only real issue: Performance is very bad with rotated screen. (I set "display_rotate=1" in config.txt).
Any hope for an upright screen?

Thanks.....

Ridrok

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Hello,

Just to let you know: https://github.com/Neo2003/mame4all-pi-adv.git
It's my git where I forked mame4all-pi (I hate googlecode, sorry).

There is nothing in this git yet usable.

The master branch is just a plain fork of mame4all-pi at current version while the model1 branch is the branch I use to try implementing model1 system emulation (Star Wars Arcade (C) Sega, 1994; Virtua Fighter (C) Sega, 1993; Virtua Racing (C) Sega, 1992 and Wing War (C) Sega, 1994).

So you can post here (I think it's a proper place) about games currently supported by mame4all-pi which have problems, then I will try to locate and back-port fixes pushed to the main mame into this master branch.

I promise nothing expect the fact I will try make it better :D
If some of you want to participate, just let me know your github account so that I add you to this repository.

Thanks and regards,
Ridrok aka Neo2003

KitchUK

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 pm

welshy wrote:gsh
I had read there have been some changes to the Drivers/Kernel, will do an update, conduct some testing and let you know of my findings.

antiriad
'But with antialiasing it seems that speed is better on some games. It is only a my impression?'
I haven't done any testing in this regard but it obviously exerts an overhead in computation. Donkey Kong runs at around 250-300% and Outrun 93% (of optimum) at 900MHz with antialiasing set, so yes, dependant on the title you may see variations.

'There is a way to use HDMI output but fixed to a lower resolution (like 480p)?'
Yes in the boot config
In console or a Terminal Type - sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Approximately half way down You will see
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

Remove the # and edit to whatever you wish e.g.
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=600

Then left ctrl & x
y (yes) to change settings
Enter

Reboot your RPi to make the changes

All the available hdmi modes are listed Here - http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
I currently am running Pi MAME4ALL via HDMI with my display of 720p (Modes 1 & 4) and by doing the above mame still outputs at 720p instead of 480 for example.

Would the only way to see a performance boost be to change the resolution in the config file and not just the framebuffer setting?

welshy

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:57 pm

KitchUK
Depends which hdmi_group you have set, hdmi_group=1 (CEA) Mode 4 IS 720p, where as hdmi_group=2 (DMT) is 640x480. I'm not sure MAME4ALL over rides the framebuffer settings (or any emulator) as here is no config for resolution. Generally MAME sets the resolution to whatever the original Cab was so it would be dependent on the ROM which is running (except for Vector titles where the resolution can be set). However, I may be incorrect in this assumption!

welshy

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:51 am

gsh wrote:There have recently been a number of fixes to the SD card driver which should improve / eliminate the corruption problems that were seen...

Be interested if you still see issues with latest rpi-update

Gordon
I have conducted some testing with the update. My RPi's are now stable at 950MHz (previously 900) and will actually run at 1GIG now, it causes system crashes, but will reboot as the SD Card doesn't corrupt as was seen before. Some drivers/configurations need altering, for instance the Xbox 360 controllers now require --detach-kernel-driver added to the rc.local script. Nice Work!

biobern

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 pm

biobern wrote:Hi all!

Only real issue: Performance is very bad with rotated screen. (I set "display_rotate=1" in config.txt).
Any hope for an upright screen?

Thanks.....
Some more info to the rotated screen problem:
If I try "ror=yes" in "mame.cfg" instead of "display_rotate=1" in "config.txt", I have no performance issues. But the game menu is not rotated then. Additionally there are heavy problems with Neogeo-games like viewpoint (Some screen elements are not rotated). Could somebody please comment on this? Thanks....

antiriad

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Ridrok wrote:Hello,

Just to let you know: https://github.com/Neo2003/mame4all-pi-adv.git
It's my git where I forked mame4all-pi (I hate googlecode, sorry).

There is nothing in this git yet usable.

The master branch is just a plain fork of mame4all-pi at current version while the model1 branch is the branch I use to try implementing model1 system emulation (Star Wars Arcade (C) Sega, 1994; Virtua Fighter (C) Sega, 1993; Virtua Racing (C) Sega, 1992 and Wing War (C) Sega, 1994).

So you can post here (I think it's a proper place) about games currently supported by mame4all-pi which have problems, then I will try to locate and back-port fixes pushed to the main mame into this master branch.

I promise nothing expect the fact I will try make it better :D
If some of you want to participate, just let me know your github account so that I add you to this repository.

Thanks and regards,
Ridrok aka Neo2003

Hi Ridrok,
thank you for creating this fork of MAME4ALL Pi.

Here there are some issues with some games:

- "Golden Axe", "Moonwalker", "Riot city", "Altered beast" and "Alien Storm" (all Sega System 16B games) run well, but audio samples (voices) are crackling, and with a higher volume than music.

- Some (great) IREM games like "Undercover Cops" or "In the hunt" run at full speed, but they have no sound (still not supported in Mame 0.37b5).

- the background in the first level of "Silent Dragon" is flickering, as well as the background in the third (flying) level of "Superman".

- It would be a dream to have the possibility to play the games "Shadow Force", "Night Slashers" and "D.J. Boy" on the rPi (games that are totally not supported)

If you can fix these... you are the man!
Thank you!

Husar

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

I am finall up and running with my arcade controls. Now I need to get my trackball working.

How would a USB trackball be enabled to use in MAME4ALL? I have a Happ 3'' trackball that is USB. It works just like a mouse in X. In MAME4ALL I have looked in the mame.cfg for something like mouse=1 or 0 but that setting is not there like you would expect from the mame.ini file.

Is there something different I need to do to enable trackball support for games like centipede and missle command.
Ed

biobern

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Husar wrote:I am finall up and running with my arcade controls. Now I need to get my trackball working.

How would a USB trackball be enabled to use in MAME4ALL? I have a Happ 3'' trackball that is USB. It works just like a mouse in X. In MAME4ALL I have looked in the mame.cfg for something like mouse=1 or 0 but that setting is not there like you would expect from the mame.ini file.

Is there something different I need to do to enable trackball support for games like centipede and missle command.
I just tried my Logitech USB-Trakball and a Keyboard-integreated Mini-Trakball with Marble Madness and Centipede. Both just work without doing anything. Have you checked Tab->Analog controls->Track X/Ysensitivity?

Husar

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 am

The sensitivity doesn't do anything since the trackball doesn't respond to any movement at all. In Raspbian the trackball, spinner, and my Bluetooth keyboard trackpad all work. Load up Mame4all and none of the work in any game you would expect them to.
Ed

biobern

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:35 am

Husar wrote:The sensitivity doesn't do anything since the trackball doesn't respond to any movement at all. In Raspbian the trackball, spinner, and my Bluetooth keyboard trackpad all work. Load up Mame4all and none of the work in any game you would expect them to.
Sorry, I have no further idea then. I never had something like this with any of my many trakballs on any of my many mame-computers.

welshy

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 am

Husar wrote:Now I need to get my trackball working. In MAME4ALL I have looked in the mame.cfg for something like mouse=1 or 0 but that setting is not there like you would expect from the mame.ini file.Is there something different I need to do to enable trackball support for games like centipede and missle command.
MAME4ALL is a MAME fork that is built for Mobile devices (Phones, Tablets, Portable Linux Consoles etc.) and as such, configuration options are more limited, the drivers are probably not included/functioning within the program for your particular TrackBall. Have you tried AdvMAME? Although not as good performance wise as PiMAME4ALL (which pudding has optimised for the RPi) it is a fork specifically for Cab Builds with many more configuration settings which should allow use. Other than Marble Madness (which is a little slow @ 900MHz Overclock) all the other TrackBall titles (Missile Command, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Millipede etc.) run fine in AdvMAME, you could always integrate BOTH versions (PiMAME4ALL and AdvMAME) into your Front End, using the best version of MAME depending on the Title being played.

Edit - I just had a look at the Issues list at the code Homepage. It seems there may be an issue with Mouse support, you could try the newest version, see if that resolves your problem.

Husar

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:03 pm

welshy, not ideal but I like the work around to use AdvMame-pi for trackball games and MAME4All-pi for other games. I have not played enough mame games to notice a big different between the two emulators yet. I am running everything through PiMAME front end right now but started experimenting with RetroPi as well. What I have not tried is RetroPie with MAME3All-pi yet. Maybe that will have different results with the trackball.

Thanks for the help.
Ed

welshy

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Husar
PiMAME4ALL is a good deal faster (250-300%) than AdvMAME although this is not immediately noticeable due to both being able to run many titles fullspeed. It is particularly evident with higher performance boards, Neo-Geo Titles, Smash TV, OutRun, N.A.R.C, Mortal Kombat etc. which AdvMAME cannot run anywhere close to 100%. If your using Shea's PiMAME I believe both are included.

Ridrok

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:07 pm

antiriad wrote:Hi Ridrok,
thank you for creating this fork of MAME4ALL Pi.

Here there are some issues with some games:

- "Golden Axe", "Moonwalker", "Riot city", "Altered beast" and "Alien Storm" (all Sega System 16B games) run well, but audio samples (voices) are crackling, and with a higher volume than music.

Hello antiriad,

Can you try to pull, compile and test from the GIT I created, I changed a bit the NEC uPD7759 ADPCM Speech Processor code. It should produce a little better sound now for System16B.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone https://github.com/Neo2003/mame4all-pi-adv.git
cd mame4all-pi-adv
make
Ridrok

antiriad

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Ridrok!

Wow! Thank you very much! I'm not so expert on compiling code, but I will test it!
Please let me a couple of days to learn how to do it! ;)

Thanks

Return to “Gaming”