berighteous

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 pm

dodonpachi is upside down. How come there isn't a video option in the menu to rotate the screen?

berighteous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:53 pm

um... scanlines should be disabled for vector games... :shock:

They look awesome on raster games though...

welshy

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 am

berighteous wrote:dodonpachi is upside down. How come there isn't a video option in the menu to rotate the screen?
Read further back in the Thread, pudding is aware of the issue and is addressing it.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

berighteous

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 am

Will mame4all-pi work with 2 usb joystick cards? I use the zero delay one player usb cards on my PC mame builds, and I haven't tried 2 of them yet on the pi. (waiting for a shipment from china) I'm building 2 bartop arcade cabs for my Pies and I'd prefer them two players. I've used the xin mo on my last pc build, and I read that 2 players on one usb adapter wasn't working yet, but what about 2 adapters?

WebKarnage

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I've tried reading everything on MAME but can't ever get any ROM I download to run. Tried 3 different sites as sources. Always something missing or other error, but never any game running.

It's also not possible to exit the app without pulling the power. I can get to a black screen only.

I feel like there are some basics here I just really don't get, that I'm expected to know from somewhere.

welshy

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:30 pm

WebKarnage
Most ROM sites don't list which version of MAME they are for, just the ROM Revision. To detail the games that are compatible and which Revision add the option -listgames when starting PiMAME4ALL then download the revision listed (for instance it lists compatibility of Tehkan's Bomb Jack as (set 1) or (set 2)). To exit the program pressing 'Esc' should be sufficient.

WebKarnage

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:32 am

Hi,

Thanks for that. Esc is what leads me to a black screen, making me concerned I had another issue which was also causing games not to run, although it sounds like it might be my lack of understanding of the MAME version situation.

I'll try and look for games using your info and that sent to me privately by a kind forum member and we'll see how I go! Get a feeling I might get a game running but might have quitting issues still.

Thanks very much for the help!

Karn.

WebKarnage

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Got it all running with Gauntlet and Airwolf but the Quit is still a little unpredictable (sometimes good, sometimes black screen). Think I have a dodgy Pi or MicroSD as the boot up is really unreliable (nowhere near 50% success).

Karn.

[Edit - Forgot to mention I had to search for MAME4ALL ROMS on Google or you get the wrong ones.]
Last edited by WebKarnage on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pudding

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

New version released:
* Supports more joystick axis and up to 16 joystick buttons.
* Frontend keys and joystick controls now configurable.
* Joystick START+SELECT now quits frontend.
* Vector games no longer display scanlines.
* Flushes filesystem for hiscore and input saves.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

berighteous

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 am

how do I update it? I originally installed with pimame distro.

berighteous

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:27 am

Boo on pistore. Full of rage and hate. I was able to get it from there, but of course it had to install it in a stupid place instead of giving me the option of just downloading a zip and putting it where I needed it (/home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi - ya know some place where it could easily be found... but nooooo )

I moved the executable and the cfg to the right place on my pi and all is great. Thanks for fixing the vectors. I think that's the first time anybody's fixed a bug I reported in several years (maybe 20? I was a "quality assurance" tester in the 90's) yay!

Anybody know if the pi can handle two joystick cards? I'm still waiting for my wiring to come from china (originally ordered sanwa connectors instead of happ, silly me!) so I can try it. I have a bunch of these cards and I would rather use them for two player cabs than have to buy another xin mo.

welshy

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 am

berighteous
If you check out the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi (NEW) thread I have listed the emulators available on The Pi Store and added links to the Homepages/Direct Download for users who would prefer not to use it.

berighteous

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:07 pm

I didn't see a direct link for mame4all, only to his page.

welshy

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 pm

berighteous wrote:I didn't see a direct link for mame4all, only to his page.
Its the homepage! Download link at the top Here - https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/source/browse/

berighteous

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for pointing it out. It was in the source code section of his page, I thought that was just source code.
Last edited by berighteous on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

berighteous

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 am

I also got a

Segmentation fault Hash table lookup: Assertion 'hash_table !=NULL' failed

error message playing "forgotten worlds (us)" or "lost worlds (japan) about 10 seconds into playing or 15 seconds watching the attract demo after the warning screen and splash screen.

berighteous

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:59 am

berighteous wrote:
Anybody know if the pi can handle two joystick cards? I'm still waiting for my wiring to come from china (originally ordered sanwa connectors instead of happ, silly me!) so I can try it. I have a bunch of these cards and I would rather use them for two player cabs than have to buy another xin mo.
yes it works with 2 joystick cards... the big question I have is how does it determine which joystick is joystick 1? I set up the first joystick and tested it and it was fine, but when I plugged the second usb joystick in and rebooted it became joystick 1. Boo. I turned it off and switched the usb connectors (they're in a hub) and switched back on and the "wrong" joystick is still called joystick 1. Is there a way to set the correct usb to always be joystick 1?

topguy

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 pm

There probably is, but it might require some complex "udev" rules. If its two identical joystick-devices it gets even more tricky.

The output from "lsusb -v" with both joysticks inserted might give some clue to how to solve it.

(its pretty long, use pastebin or something)

murlock

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:50 pm

I've one question about Mame4All :
I've compiled Mame4All from github and I've also updated microfirmware.

I'm using mame4all with X11, I've put a bluetooth adapter and connected two wiimotes.

With one player, mame4all run perfectly (no slowdown and sound is perfect)

Adding second player, mame4all began to drops a lot o fps, making game unplayable.

Tested game is Bubble Bobble.

I've overclocked my pi to 900 mhz without success.

Do you have already tested two players games ?

WebKarnage

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I have only played Gauntlet using the keyboard for 2 players (not the most practical thing).

I'm not sure if using Bluetooth and Wii remotes is a bigger drain, or if it's something specific to the game you are trying. It's well worth trying another game that is two players before taking it further to see if there is some type of game specific element.

WebKarnage

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

I should have mentioned that playing Gauntlet with 2 players was fine. The Pi was like yours clocked to 900MHz.

murlock

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks,

With a keyboard and a USB Joystick, no slowdown during my test with Gauntlet or Bubble Bobble.

With another Bluetooth adapter, my rpi has frozen : I suspect that my power supply doesn't provide enough power in several case.

vuqnguyen

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:30 am

If I have an older version of mame4all_pi, how do I upgrade to the new version without losing my configurations and high scores? Can I simply just replace the "mame" binary?

Thanks,
Vu

welshy

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:53 am

vuqnguyen
That may work, (I would try a straight Binary replacement FIRST!) but it depends on the new structure of the program. The best thing to do is remove all the high score and config files you have (however, if you haven't changed anything there is no need), replace with the new version, then put them back in the respective folders.

pudding

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:06 pm

You won't lose your MAME settings/hi scores using either the Pi Store version or overwriting with the ZIP version. Just mame.cfg will be overwritten.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

Return to “Gaming”