welshy

PCENGINE EMULATOR BINARY

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 am

CONSOLE HISTORY
As regular readers of my “Guides” will no doubt have guessed by now, I’m rather fond of the PC Engine, it kick started the “Grey Import” market in the UK and I purchased one myself in 1988 after being “Astonished” witnessing R-Type I running on the little White Marvel. One memorable advertisement quoted Jeff Minter (Famous 80’s Game Programmer) who proclaimed “It’s not an expensive Console, it’s a cheap Arcade Machine! In 1986 Hudson Soft (Of Bomber Man fame) designed a Dual GPU chipset (One 16-bit HuC6260 Video Color Encoder (VCE), and one 16-bit HuC6270A Video Display Controller (VDC), the original concept being an additional Module for the Famicom (NES), which Nintendo rejected. Hudson then approached NEC (Who were eager to get into the Console Market) who in partnership produced a standalone Console using the Dual GPU, along with an 8-bit HuC6280 CPU (A modified WDC 65C02 core with several additional registers and functions including sound generation) and “HuCARD” ROMS that were Credit Card sized. Released in Japan in 1987 the diminutive White Console (14x14x3.8cm) was a revelation, quickly surpassing the Famicom as the number one seller. SEGA’s Megadrive* (Genesis), released a year later, found itself apparently technically surpassed even before it made it to market and barely made a dent in the PC Engine’s position (At odds with what transpired in the West with the TurboGrafx-16, but that’s’ another story!) and with the release of a CD attachment in 1988 (A first for a Console) it went on to be the leading platform in Japan until the Super Famicom (SNES) appeared in 1991. It has since become a hugely collectable “Retro” Console (Especially the Original “White” version), Hardware is expensive and rare Software (Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire for example) sells for in excess of $1000!

*Although the Genesis/Megadrive has a 16-bit CPU (Motorola 68000), its GPU was a single upgraded 8-bit Texas Instruments TMS9918 used in the Master System, Colecovision and MSX Computers

EMULATION
Unfortunately there don’t seem to be many Linux solutions to PC Engine Emulation and although the Repo version of Mednafen (v0.8.D) will Emulate it, compatibility is poor and CD Emulation is so SLOW as to make it unplayable. To this end I have been “Tinkering” with compiling a W.I.P version (Which includes the pce_fast Module that Retroarch uses). I have now managed to compile Mednafen-0.9.24 W.I.P with PC Engine Emulation ONLY, which works well (Both Hu-Card and CD’s) and accepts ANYTHING I have thrown at it including Street Fighter II (16Mbit Hu-Card) and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (CD + Arcade Card Pro) which a lot of Emulators struggle with, so hats off to the Team who wrote it! SuperGrafx Emulation is also excellent but in all honesty Dai Makai Mura (Ghouls N Ghosts) and 1941 Counter Attack are the only worthwhile games that were produced for this short lived System (Although it was backwards compatible with all PC Engine Titles. The story of the SuperGrafx is even more interesting, but I digress...). Unfortunately a 512MEG RPi is required to compile it (Even then, it was a constant “Juggling” act as to prevent it running out of RAM!). I might publish a “Guide” in due course with instructions to Compile and Set Up/Configure (Although it’s tricky to Compile and complicated to Set Up/Configure correctly so I may not!), to this end, below is a link to pcengine.zip (Extracts into a Folder, pcengine) which includes the Binary, mednafen-9x.cfg File and a README.txt with FULL Instructions and my personal recommendations of the best “AAA” Software available for the System
For the best results run under the X11 (Windows Environment) with Image: 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian*, at least a Medium Overclcock (900MHz) and in Fullscreen Mode

*You can get a SIGNIFICANT performance increase by using Image: 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian, Download Link Here - http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/raspbian/

PCEngine/TurboGrafx-16 Emulator (Mednafen Module: pce_fast) Download Link Here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B51Q7dp ... edit?pli=1

Select: File, Download for the FULL Zipped Archive
Last edited by welshy on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

welshy

Re: PCENGINE EMULATOR BINARY

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Update -
If you dont want to run in "X" changing Framebuffer Resolutions, the dispmanx backend will render pcengine "Fullscreen" (Run in Console)

Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... t=dispmanx

1. Compile and Install Dispmanx
2. Remove the existing .mednafen Folder (If you have previously run pcenigne)
2. Run pcengine from Console with a ROM
3. Go into "X" and delete the Default mendafen.cfg File and replace with the one from pcengine.zip

I am currently working on the inclusion of dispmanx into the Binary for Rev2

welshy

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:34 pm

This being the second posting of the Thread (I noticed the first had a broken link to the Binary on Google Docs) and with views topping 300 I just wanted to enquire -

Have any users found this Interesting/Informative/Useful?

If so could I please have some feedback, the next revision was to hopefully include dispmanx graphics (For better Performance).....but if there is no Appeal/Demand.....

ulysess

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am

If you don't mind I going to post your binary in my blog. It's very interesting

Thanks for you effort ;)
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

welshy

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm

ulysess
Thank you, no problem, nice to finally receive some feedback! I guess the apathy is due to a general unfamiliarity with the System outside Importers and Collectors (Which is the reason I wrote a brief History) and the failure of the Turbografx-16 in the West. This was due to many factors, Price, Marketing, now deemed “Illegal” 3rd Party developer Contracts by Nintendo of America (The reason why many of the best titles were not available in the USA) but mostly because of the UGLY block of black plastic it was housed in (Most of which was empty!). Which is a shame as it is host to some awesome Shoot ‘em ups and RPG’s, generally regarded as the BEST in their respective genres and not available on any other System

LemmeFatale

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

I've got a bit of fondness for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, myself; I've actually got one of the official PAL units - which were renamed simply "TurboGrafx" for this region - from the botched market-test that almost no-one knew about, which was one of the reasons for the system never getting an official European and Australian release! (They found a load of them, brand new and never opened, in a warehouse, several years ago, now.)

I've not had the free time to check this out yet, but I was just wondering, aside from Mednafen, are you aware of Temper? It's a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 emulator originally written for the GP2X (thus, for a low-power ARM platform), and later brought to the Pandora. There's some info on it here (a little outdated, now, as I'm pretty sure it now does support CD-ROM games), including who to contact regarding the source code (it's not open source), if it's of any interest!
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

welshy

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

LemmeFatale
I remember being at the Launch, which was in reality no more than a “Market Test” via one of the Importers (Telegames I believe?) who seemed more intent on pushing me to take Neo-Geo stock! (Which had just been released in Japan). Whilst having a discussion with the Marketing Director for the company we BOTH agreed it was an incorrect decision to choose the TG-16 as a base unit rather than the Original Japanese Console (They sold 90/10 in its favour). Hudson were also present, showing the PC Engine GT', although there was an announcement later “Would the person who removed the PC Engine GT' please return it to the Hudson Soft Stand!” lol! In retrospect the thief would have been better off stealing one of the many Non-Commercial “Timed” games than were on display (These Titles are rare and much sought after by collectors!)

With regards to alternatives I looked at Temper (No Source Code, incorrect Aspect Ratio) and Hu-Go! (CD emulation requires iso/mp3 dump’s, NOT .bin & .cue) which are Non-Standard so users would have to convert them which is difficult and laborious to those who don’t use Emulators a great deal. Like I said, options were/are Limited, even with x86/Windows Emulation!

Anyway, thanks for the interest!

toxibunny

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:10 am

Lot of good shmups on the PC engine. I've never seen one in real life, but I remember adverts for the turbografx-16 from back when I used to read american comics in the early 90s...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

welshy

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 am

toxibunny
A VCOOL console to be sure, probably the best variety of excellent shootemups of ANY retro machine! As described above IF they had marketed the original 'white' PC Engine in the US (It still hold the record for the smallest console ever) with an official European release too the 16Bit 'WARS' may have turned out very differently...

jayminer

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:42 pm

The download link appears to be broken, any chance this could be re-uploaded?

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:17 pm

jayminer
Dam! Haven't seen this thread appear for a while! Spookily I have just built a new SD Card Image based on the Binary. Which Games were you wanting to emulate exactly? The RetroArch Core is undoubtedly superior for Hu-Card Titles but not CD/SuperGrafx ones (which are too slow even with a Medium O/C) but it does 'Tear' slightly on scrolling as its SDL rendered.

jayminer

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:33 pm

I didin't have any particular game in mind but I was interested in trying some CD games, for example Dracula X and Ys IV just to see how well they would run.

Tearing sounds a little scary but I would still be interested in trying this if possible?

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm

jayminer wrote:Tearing sounds a little scary but I would still be interested in trying this if possible?
Oh, its not bad. just the usual problems with SDL rendering compared to OpenGLES, the CD Titles run excellently, as do the SGX ones. Sure I can make it available, I will edit the post once its uploaded somewhere!

Download Link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51Q7d ... sp=sharing

KitchUK

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:02 pm

I tried to get the cd games working with the retroarch core in RetroPie and it was having non of it. Thus was mainly for the Ys 1 & 2 set. I included the bin and cue and the bios but it wouldn't run it. I'll give this a shot on a spare sd card. Thanks!

jayminer

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks! Gonna try it out right away!

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm

KitchUK wrote:I tried to get the cd games working with the retroarch core in RetroPie and it was having non of it. Thus was mainly for the Ys 1 & 2 set. I included the bin and cue and the bios but it wouldn't run it.
They will run but as is usual with RetroArch the Bios file has to be named VERY specifically, they are to slow to be realistically playable anyway.

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Nice to see some more PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 fans on the Forum!

Jessie

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:14 pm

When I was a teenager I asked for a SNES and my dad got me a TG16. I was bummed at first but after I got the CD attachment and the SCD card (years later) I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I was kind of hoping to replay Gate of thunder and Lords of thunder. Sounds like that may not happen on the pi.

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Jessie wrote:I was kind of hoping to replay Gate of thunder and Lords of thunder. Sounds like that may not happen on the pi.
They work fine with the posted Binary, in fact I haven't found a title yet that doesn't work, even Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (CD + Arcade Card Pro) which a lot of Emulators struggle with.

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am

All
Obviously messing about with display resolution settings can be a drag. I currently use the SDL dispmanx back end to get fullscreen output in Console (See Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=25146). The latest version seemed to break on compile so I used the version below*, this is because I wanted the Aspect Ratio to be correct (it just filled the frame buffer in older versions as indicated above in the post). Using dispmanx performance in Console is the same as XWindows at 320x232 mode, but with a resolution of 1920x1200. If using other emulators and/or programs with the same Image a word of warning, it will break everything else that uses SDL in XWindows so DONT install it, just run as kalehrl suggested in the Thread on a 'By Program' basis by running -

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/pi/SDL12-kms-dispmanx/build/.libs" (or wherever you have located it)

*SDL12-kms-dispmanx-ef612f203eb6bf13d58621d7504c0684c0e7677c.zip

Its just a shame I couldn't compile Mednafen with the dispmanx package included for a v2. I did toy with the idea of producing a zip along with the additional dispmanx but didn't as there wasn't much of a response/demand for PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 emulation here (as can be seen above).

KitchUK
If you would like to try RetroArch with CD Titles make the BIOS file name syscard3.pce and put it in the Folder where the ROMS/CD Images are located, it should then work so long as your files are not 'bad rips'.

Jessie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

With Japan as exception they weren't very popular systems so I'm not surprised that there wasn't much interst. It has been a while since I dug mine out of the garrage and plugged it in, and to be honest many of the games didn't age well, but there are some definate gems in the TG16/PCE library.

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Jessie wrote:With Japan as exception they weren't very popular systems so I'm not surprised that there wasn't much interst and to be honest many of the games didn't age well, but there are some definate gems in the TG16/PCE library.
Agreed but as I said in the Forward that was mainly due to publishing conflict (Nintendo's binding third party contracts, later deemed illegal but to late to save the system) and a poor marketing campaign against a very clever/skilled one by Sega. Due to its failure in the US it never got an official release inEurope but practically 'Built' the Grey Import market here. As far as games not ageing well, that could describe most retro systems but my PCE collection far exceeds the MegaDrive one (and in the amount I use them), but as I have indicated before a lot of Retro Gaming is nostalgia based.

jayminer

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 pm

As for PCE/TG16 games not ageing well, I only recently got into the PC Engine (bought a system and CD attachment) about a year ago, I had played around with it using emulation prior to that but that's when I really started investigating the game library - and I think it holds up very well!

Ofcourse, me being a fan of shoot'em ups helps but there are tons of great games in almost every genre for the system.

Haven't been able to try the emulator yet, I launched it from terminal and only got a black screen but could hear the sound, I'm guessing this is because I didn't have dispmanx which you talked about earlier. I plugged in a mouse and was gonna try it under X11 but I must have done something bad when I connected it because my raspberry died, and wouldn't boot. Apparently the SD card got corrupted, perhaps I accidentaly made it loose contact while it was writing or something... :( And I hadn't made a backup of the card yet so now I will have to start from scratch...

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm

jayminer
Mednafen only renders correctly in XWindows, not console (that's why you could hear the sound) but in conjunction with the dispmanx back end the opposite (Console not X). There should be a README Doc in the Zip which explains everything along with some recommendations of the best AAA Software.

'Of course, me being a fan of shoot'em ups helps'
When writing the README recommendations I could have filled it with JUST shooters! I kept editing it because there were too many compared to other genre's! lol

'I only recently got into the PC Engine (bought a system and CD attachment) about a year ago'
Dam! Which one did u get? (White, Core, Core II etc.). It's probably the only console I ever regretted selling (it had to go to use as collateral for my imported Super Famicom). I keep 'toying' with the idea of purchasing a SuperGrafx with CD drive because although the best Titles are very expensive (I believe Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire is upwards of $2000 now) an EverDrive is available (although it doesn't work with SGX Titles which also rules out 1941 on cost grounds) and because the cost of CD R/W was prohibitive at the time (no copy protection!) I believe ISO's can be burned to Disc and played!

jayminer

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Mednafen only renders correctly in XWindows, not console (that's why you could hear the sound) but in conjunction with the dispmanx back end the opposite (Console not X). There should be a README Doc in the Zip which explains everything along with some recommendations of the best AAA Software.
Yeah I read the readme and noticed that, but it was just about this moment my SD-card decided it would rather be corrupted than not :/
Dam! Which one did u get? (White, Core, Core II etc.). It's probably the only console I ever regretted selling (it had to go to use as collateral for my imported Super Famicom). I keep 'toying' with the idea of purchasing a SuperGrafx with CD drive because although the best Titles are very expensive (I believe Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire is upwards of $2000 now) an EverDrive is available (although it doesn't work with SGX Titles which also rules out 1941 on cost grounds) and because the cost of CD R/W was prohibitive at the time (no copy protection!) I believe ISO's can be burned to Disc and played!
I got a Core II and the CD Interface Unit, it's quite ugly since the CD Interface Unit looks like it's designed for the White PC-Engine but it's charming in it's own way :) The PC-Engine unit itself is quite cheap to buy from Japan, even with ebay-prices, but getting a CD Unit that works can be a bit expensive :/

A SuperGrafx would be extremely cool to own, but unfortunately not many games were produced for it :/

CDRs plays without a problem on my CD Interface Unit atleast and I don't think they added any protection for the SuperGrafx since it's sort of the same CD hardware. I have burned the translated versions of Ys IV and Dracula X and they play just fine!

Return to “Gaming”