Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 pm

kalehrl wrote:What snes?
Chep's:
https://github.com/chep/snes9x-rpi
or pudding's:
https://code.google.com/p/pisnes/
While you're at it, why not include Andrey's fceux:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... p?p=325371
Both versions of snes9x will be included.
Do you know if there are there any building instructions for Andrey's fceux?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

ti84

Re: RetroPie Project SD-Card Image

Fri May 03, 2013 2:13 pm

awesome on the update...will the new Db9-driver be included?

kalehrl

Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Do you know if there are there any building instructions for Andrey's fceux?
I don't think so.
It is only available as a precompiled binary.
Maybe you can ask him in his thread to post sources.

petrockblog

Sat May 04, 2013 11:37 am

ti84 wrote:awesome on the update...will the new Db9-driver be included?
Yes, they will be included.

petrockblog

Sun May 05, 2013 7:56 am

Just updated the RetroPie Project SD-card image to version 1.5. You can get it at http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/r ... downloads/.

Have fun!

btkiz

Sun May 05, 2013 3:04 pm

btkiz wrote:I recently downloaded this image (after the April 7th update), wrote it to my SD card, copied over my roms, and rebooted the pi. I had to modify the config.txt on the SD card to see any output over hdmi (had to uncomment the hdmi_safe and boost hdmi display items). I saw the pi bootup, and then I saw the "The RetroPie Project" logo displayed, followed by a black screen. I assume this is where EmulationStation is supposed be running. I'm not seeing the white dot in the middle of the screen like in other questions I've seen. It's all black and stays that way, there might be a slightly lighter black border around the outside of the display. Any advice on changing settings or something to get EmulationStation to show up, if that's what's running after the retropie logo? Thanks!
Thanks for the replies, I finally figured this out (mostly). I got an RCA cable to use, and I could see EmulationStation and select a game. When I selected a game, I lost my RCA output signal. After a while, I connected my HDMI cable and realized that the game was being displayed over HDMI. So emulationstation shows up over RCA, then when I select a game it switches to HDMI. If anyone has seen this, or knows how to configure it to be either RCA or HDMI all the time so it's not switching output modes, please let me know. Thanks!

N1njaK1d12345

Sat May 18, 2013 6:09 pm

btkiz, I'm having the same problem.

Aloshi

Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I believe you need to disable the runcommand script, which changes to HDMI modes.

Open ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg, find lines like:

Code: Select all

COMMAND=runcommand 1 ...
change them to

COMMAND=runcommand 2 ...
(If the first argument to the runcommand script is 2, then it works as a simple passthrough - it makes the script do nothing.)

N1njaK1d12345

Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 am

Alright, I found the solution!

cd /home/pi/.emulationstation
sudo nano es_systems.cfg
For the emulator you want to run in RCA, change the runcommand.sh 1 to runcommand.sh 2
(just replace the 1 with a 2)

SgtMcFuzzyboots

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 am

Good day,

I looked around the internet for a similar problem to mine but I wonder if I'm just doing something retarded.

I managed to install Raspbian and RetroPie and I even see the roms on my screen but whenever I load a rom it briefly goes to the terminal view adds a few ============= to the terminal and goes straight back to the rom list. This happens to ALL roms. From uploaded SNES and GBA roms to the already preinstalled Duke Nukem. Though Duke Nukem gets a whole wall of text, which I simply dont understand, before returning to rom list.

What can I do about this?

I already reinstalled the image and I reinstalled it using the GIT method(which took about 1.5 days in total). Both did not work at all. I wonder if I have a problem with my settings or something like that?

Hopefully someone has an answer for me :)

Lexusjjss

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 am

Try the solution one post above yours. :P

ke0kie

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi

The image file for RetroPie fails to download on every machine I've tried (4).

RetroPieImage_ver1.7.zip is the file.

http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/r ... ect-image/

Can this image be mirrored somewhere else? Torrent? Anyone have a copy they can host?

petrockblog

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:05 pm

ke0kie wrote:Hi

The image file for RetroPie fails to download on every machine I've tried (4).

RetroPieImage_ver1.7.zip is the file.

http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/r ... ect-image/

Can this image be mirrored somewhere else? Torrent? Anyone have a copy they can host?
I changed the URL and added another mirror for the download - it should work now!

SgtMcFuzzyboots

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:04 pm

N1njaK1d12345 wrote:Alright, I found the solution!

cd /home/pi/.emulationstation
sudo nano es_systems.cfg
For the emulator you want to run in RCA, change the runcommand.sh 1 to runcommand.sh 2
(just replace the 1 with a 2)
Lexusjjss wrote:Try the solution one post above yours. :P

I went and tried that but after doing the sudo nano es_systems.cfg I go to the Nano terminal where I can't find a single shred of code.
So I can't change runcommand.sh.

Also aside from the RCA problem, I tried playing that game on HDMI using a wireless Xbox 360 controller.
In the rom list menu it works just fine but whenever I load a game, for example Zelda a Link to the Past on the SNES, the controls do not respond. Though I am still able to abort the game using F4.

Any ideas?

Katamari

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 pm

SgtMcFuzzyboots wrote: I went and tried that but after doing the sudo nano es_systems.cfg I go to the Nano terminal where I can't find a single shred of code.
So I can't change runcommand.sh
Apparently you weren't in the right place. Did you ls before trying to open it? If there was just a blank page, then that means that the file didn't exist in the directory that you were in, but that file has to be there for emulationStation to work.
Try this:

cd ~
# Brings you to the home directory
ls -a
# Should show all folders and files including the hidden ones. 
# The "." in ".emulationstation" means that it is normally a hidden
# If you don't see ".emulationstation", then it is under another user's folder. So do cd /home and see what other users there are

# If you see ".emulationstation"
cd .emulationstation
ls
# You should see that a file es_systems.cfg already exists.  If not, then I have no clue what is wrong
# If you see it, then:
sudo nano es_systems.cfg
# You should see a bunch of stuff here.  If you saw it with ls but it is blank, then I have no clue what went wrong
Once you have it open, then try the modifications that they said.
SgtMcFuzzyboots wrote: Also aside from the RCA problem, I tried playing that game on HDMI using a wireless Xbox 360 controller.
In the rom list menu it works just fine but whenever I load a game, for example Zelda a Link to the Past on the SNES, the controls do not respond. Though I am still able to abort the game using F4.
In emulator controls are different than the main menu controls and have to be set separately. Exit emulationStation and do the following (copy-pasted from http://supernintendopi.wordpress.com/)
Press F4 to exit EmulationStation and go back to terminal.

cd RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools
./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
Next you are going to use your controller and follow the prompts. If your controller has less buttons than the config tries to setup (My SNES controllers lack the R2/L2, R3/L3, and Joysticks), then you need to select a dummy button (I used left trigger) for the buttons you don’t have. We will edit those out later. Once this is done, it will bring you back to the terminal.
One thing I would recommend personally is to make a copy of the original retroarch.cfg file as a backup/reference because there are a lot of useful features in there that you may want later. Also, you may want to look through the website I linked for other things like setting up an exit button on your controller.

nexusrex

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:31 pm

can i config the buttons or no

SgtMcFuzzyboots

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Katamari wrote:
SgtMcFuzzyboots wrote: I went and tried that but after doing the sudo nano es_systems.cfg I go to the Nano terminal where I can't find a single shred of code.
So I can't change runcommand.sh
Apparently you weren't in the right place. Did you ls before trying to open it? If there was just a blank page, then that means that the file didn't exist in the directory that you were in, but that file has to be there for emulationStation to work.
Try this:

cd ~
# Brings you to the home directory
ls -a
# Should show all folders and files including the hidden ones. 
# The "." in ".emulationstation" means that it is normally a hidden
# If you don't see ".emulationstation", then it is under another user's folder. So do cd /home and see what other users there are

# If you see ".emulationstation"
cd .emulationstation
ls
# You should see that a file es_systems.cfg already exists.  If not, then I have no clue what is wrong
# If you see it, then:
sudo nano es_systems.cfg
# You should see a bunch of stuff here.  If you saw it with ls but it is blank, then I have no clue what went wrong
Once you have it open, then try the modifications that they said.
SgtMcFuzzyboots wrote: Also aside from the RCA problem, I tried playing that game on HDMI using a wireless Xbox 360 controller.
In emulator controls are different than the main menu controls and have to be set separately. Exit emulationStation and do the following (copy-pasted from http://supernintendopi.wordpress.com/)
Press F4 to exit EmulationStation and go back to terminal.

cd RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools
./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
Next you are going to use your controller and follow the prompts. If your controller has less buttons than the config tries to setup (My SNES controllers lack the R2/L2, R3/L3, and Joysticks), then you need to select a dummy button (I used left trigger) for the buttons you don’t have. We will edit those out later. Once this is done, it will bring you back to the terminal.
One thing I would recommend personally is to make a copy of the original retroarch.cfg file as a backup/reference because there are a lot of useful features in there that you may want later. Also, you may want to look through the website I linked for other things like setting up an exit button on your controller.

This worked PERFECTLY. Thanks for that.
The game loads in RCA and the controller responds in game. Though the mapping seems kind of warped. I entered the keys as I was asked to but for some reason the D-pad turned into an A button. I think I can fix that.

Thanks for your advice!

SgtMcFuzzyboots

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Also not that big of a deal but while am at it with the questions.
The RCA lacks the sound which HDMI did have. Is there another setting which needs to be changed for this?

CrazyErick

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 pm

petrockblog wrote:Just updated the RetroPie Project SD-card image to version 1.5. You can get it at http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/r ... downloads/.

Have fun!
Is there somewhere we can get the old images from? Having some problems with 1.7 and Stella/sound.

Return to “Gaming”