noob

any good gamepads?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 pm

i was wondering which gamepad is good to use for gaming and also for mouse if possible, i would prefer plug and play, but if i have to set it up it is also good. i dont want to spend more then $25. any ideas?

noob

Re: any good gamepads?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am

found this,

http://dx.com/p/2-4ghz-wireless-dual-vi ... gn=sub6991

is there anyone who used it yet?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am

DO NOT buy the Saitek P380. It was a waste of money a couple of weeks ago at £6.50 and would be worse now at £10. The analogue sticks are horribly unresponsive.

toxibunny

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 am

Original PlayStation dual shock.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 am

I use an old Microsoft Sidewinder Pro Joypad, they're ideal for retro gaming, have no analogue sticks though.
I can verify that the Linux drivers for it work perfectly too.

There go for about a fiver (£5 sterling) on eBay.

Pangtang

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I've been using a Joytech PS One controller with an externally powered Rockfire adaptor. Works well with Emulation Station (Start/Select can be used to trigger shutdown).
Attachments
20130204_204740.jpg
20130204_204740.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

SomeRandom

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

+1 Toxibunny.

Nothing like the dual-shock for gaming. Just grab yourself a playstation to usb convertor, for a couple quiditches[1] and your good to go.

1. Although i use such terminology in jest, i do in all reality detest, harry potterness wherever it rears its foul, boring, oh look im flying on a flipping broomstick aren't i original....no not really harry,.....head.

Although i do fully acknowledge that other people are entitled to differing opinions, and that we as a whole should endeavour to respect and acknowledge those opinions, even if they are completely and utterly wrong. As is the case with the thoroughly debilitating disease that is known as "Liking Harry Potter" or "LHP".

Thus we should instead endeavour to show sympathy and extend a "warm-hand" to all those suffering from this serious condition, in acknowledgement that one day they too will grow into a normal human-being.
Thus my earlier play on the word "quiditches" is wholly justified, when trying to help people see the error of their ways. For you see sometimes in order to save souls from the murky pit of mud that is harry potterness, one must get their own hand dirty. i.e Use phrases the potterite, might understand).

That is all.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Off topic a bit but LOL! One of my nephews was an extra in most of the HP movies. :shock:

Back on topic, I've heard that the Ouya controller is going to be quite good. I presume it's blue tooth communication.

bbond007

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 am

i like Thrustmaster Ferrari gamepad

its really nice, just no rumble. I have the wireless

this one.

http://www.costcaptain.com/mm5/merchant ... nAod-SAAPg

daneast

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 am

Years ago I created an interface between a PS1 dual shock controller and Pocket PC PDAs. I used a PIC microcontroller to communicate digitally with the controller, which then interfaced with the Pocket PC using IrDA and a custom driver I created on the PPC. I could use the analog stick to operate a mouse pointer, and the controls simply triggered key events that were bound to the specific game. Worked great.

Anyway, it would be straightforward to interface a PS1 controller to a pi via the GPIO pins and bitbang the communication protocol the controller uses (active handshaking is required to get the controller to recognize the device).

As others have said, apparently USB adapters are already available, but it could also be done at a lower more direct level (aka cheaper and with less latency and less power consumption).

cabe

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 am

Have to say the Xbox controller is the most comfortable I have ever used. Plenty of guides to get it up an running on Linux out ther in both the wired and wireless (needs additional receiver) varieties.

noob

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 pm

i've bought a speedlink strike fx wired gamepad, i need a powered hub for it but i want to know if there are any programs for it like xpadder, that i can use to set it up. does anyone know something like that?

Return to “Gaming”