Tx0Rx0

Pcsx-Rearmed Bios RetroPie

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am

Has anyone figured out how or where to put the bios so that pcsx-rearmed in the retropie package can use it? I thought it looked in .pcsx/bios, but putting it there seems to have no effect. I've heard that it is required for crash team racing, and it would be really awesome to play it.

steev

Re: Pcsx-Rearmed Bios RetroPie

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Put it in whatever folder you have set for 'system_directory' in /etc/retroarch.cfg.
If 'system_directory' is unset it will load it from the same folder as your game ROM.

Tx0Rx0

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm

So system_directors is unset for me, essentially everything is grayed out. I placed the file in ~/Retropie/roms/psx/, and the file is SCPH1001.bin. Emulation station sees it because I enabled .bin inputs, but pcsx rearmed does not. If I change system_directory to, say, /home/pi/emusystem/, It still doesn't work. Am I using the right file, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks for the help.

CodenameV

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Tx0Rx0 wrote:So system_directors is unset for me, essentially everything is grayed out. I placed the file in ~/Retropie/roms/psx/, and the file is SCPH1001.bin. Emulation station sees it because I enabled .bin inputs, but pcsx rearmed does not. If I change system_directory to, say, /home/pi/emusystem/, It still doesn't work. Am I using the right file, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks for the help.
Just a quick guess , if no system_directory configured , maybe the bios file needs to sit in the same folder as the libretro.so your running in this case ( if defaults are left ) ~/Retropie/emulatorcores/pcsx_rearmed/

worth a go anyway :)
CodenameV

Tx0Rx0

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00 pm

It works if I set system_directory, and it only recognized it once i changed it from .BIN to .bin. I think I got it figured out. Is there anyway to change the sound or disable the sound? It's really quite scratchy in Crash Team Racing

steev

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah I think the filename needs to be lowercase.
You can disable audio by setting 'audio_enable=false' in retroarch.cfg.
There are some other audio settings in there that might help with the sound, but I haven't messed with those yet.

NF3RN0

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 am

Tx0Rx0 What did you set the system_directory to? I am still have the same problem you had. Mine is already set to system_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/. I have no luck putting them in that folder or the /emulatorcores/pcsx_rearmed. The appropriate roms folder is not working either.

robrush

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:35 am

where is the bios file in the first place? I'm getting an error as well and can't for the life of me figure out pcsx for the retropie, everything else seems to be smooth.

is there any kind of guide for getting pcsx running on retropie? I did a fresh build over the weekend but pcsx is still dead in the water, and assistance would be appreciated.

petrockblog

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 pm

robrush wrote: Is there any kind of guide for getting pcsx running on retropie?
If there is such a guide or someone takes his time to write such a guide, the wiki of RetroPie would be a perfect place for that ;)
Just that you know: I have tested the PCSX core with a ROM that did not need any BIOS files in the first place (Ridge Racer Type 4). Because if that I have no real experience about that issue.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

robrush

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 am

well there is a bit of a guide by Tx0rx0 up here at
http://tx0rx0.com/retropie-and-the-raspberry-pi/

Although the mystery of the BIOS files still looms. I found what I believe to be the correct bios files, and tried the steps and was still unsuccessful.

Tx0rx0 do you have any insight on the BIOS files or the correct way to load roms?

I noticed in the tutorial, you say that pcxs requires .img files, while the other documentation mentions .bin/.cue, and lastly, the RetroPie setup says to use .7z files.

I'm going to sit on this for a minute and try again later, I'm still battling xboxdrv to discover the generic gamestop controllers (pdp afterglow is listed in version 0.9 but it doesn't seem to be released) that's a whole other mess.

I'm determined to get this thing running and from a total and absolute beginners perspective I hope to build a somewhat comprehensive guide from start to finish.

ringnutz

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Ok guys, been in the same boat as you for a while now, finally got MGS working by placing scph1001.bin in the Retropie\roms\psx directory. It has to be all lower case and the emulator does not whine about a HLE BIOS, hope this helps you guys. While i did finally get it to run, it runs like crap, but progress nontheless

robrush

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 am

Hey that's progress! I'm gonna give it a shot when I get home. How are you putting your roms in the directory? Does the 7z format work? or do they need to be extracted .bin/.cue files and modify the retroarch.cfg file to read them...? I've read conflicting claims to both.

I'll try to tackle that along with the generic xbox controller drivers. Once that is done I'd be happy to try and document the steps and changes it took because there seems to be a huge interest in this config however tricky it may be.

ringnutz

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 am

pcsx will play .bin, .iso, .7z, everything i have thrown at it so far. If you are using emulationstation you have to edit home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg to have it include those different extensions, same goes for genesis, i had only .bin roms but it was looking for something different

robrush

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:38 am

I wound up putting the bios files in the /emulatorcores directory, because that's what my system directory was set to.

I no longer get the BIOS load error, but the roms will still not load. It does the initialization, but then just shows a blank screen.... if I hit esc, i return to emulationstation.

as a crazy check to be sure my roms weren't bunk, i downloaded pcxs standaone and fired it up. i was able to get the same .bin rom running.

the only error being thrown here after the bios loads is

RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Stocks GLSL shaders will be used
RetroArch [WARN] :: Failed to init rewind buffer. Rewinding will be disabled.

seems like the psx emulator here is a whole ball of wax on it's own.

Would those errors cause a game not to load? I'm going to try different roms and see what results I can get.

Tx0Rx0

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Sorry, didn't realize that there were any questions here
I set system directory equivalent to whatever folder in the configs/psx folder, then threw the scph1001.bin file in there. I'll be updating the guide to make it step by step and with screenshots, so if you're still stuck it might be helpful. I should have that done by the end of the weekend.

Robrush those errors occur for me whenever it starts. Did you set the GPU/CPU memory split correctly? The GPU wants 128MB or 196MB of memory. Do you have the 1st gen or the 2nd gen raspberry pi?

Wingnutz overclocking can help with performance if you find a stable overclock. In addition, some games run a LOT better without sound. Crash Team Racing for me runs at just about full without sound, and maybe 80 percent with.

The controllers part is the part that vexs me. I can't seem to get logitech rumblepad and other assorted controllers to map each other and stay different. I'm reinstalling this weekend, so perhaps that's the case. I also seem unable to setup four controllers. A GUI would go a long way for most people in setting this up.

robrush

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm

I agree that a gui for the controller config would be incredible. I'm still struggling to get my generic xbox controllers recognized.

I believe the memory split is correct, but I'll double check just in case.

I didn't think those errors were related to the emulator not working, they looked like generic/fallback warnings rather than actual errors.

hopefully the memory split has something to do with it. I found that the pcsx emulator on its own works, but not spectactularly, the window is small and the audio through the 3.5 jack is crackly as all get out. But that's a known thing anyway, not worried about that.

Thanks for the tip on the memory split, i'll bump it to 192 and see if anything changes.

robrush

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:58 am

crazy week...

i changed the mem split, still no luck. really odd. I have nothing special going on with my config. Pretty much running off the stock image, mapped a few nas drives and configured the wifi card, that's it.

I might try a rebuild from binaries just to see if anything changes. Were most of you able to get the psx emulator to work out of the box? at least it's finding the bios files now... just no emulation love.

I have a second pi as well I might try it in to see if there is somehow something up wtih the one i'm using now... the struggle continues.

ringnutz

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:31 am

I think my mem split is like 256 or higher, model B. I've only tried a few games (MGS, FF7, RE2) FF7 and RE2 are slightly slow but playable, MGS is not... I configured a PS3 controller over BT no prob with an azio mini BT dongle, not sure about any xbox controllers. Sorry, between 2 jobs and a wife and kid I have little chance to check this thread...

caa

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi,
I had a lot of trouble getting the BIOS to work, too, and just wanted to confirm the way to make PCSX find the BIOS:
I edited the file /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/psx/retroarch.cfg and added the following line:

Code: Select all

system_directory = /home/pi/psx_bios/
Of course the BIOS file has to be in that directory. The file that worked for me is named scph1001.bin (I had to set it to lower case) and its MD5-sum is 924e392ed05558ffdb115408c263dccf.
I'm using RetroPie from November, 3rd 2013 with PCSX-ReARMed r15-347-gc6c27cc Version 1.9 (Nov 2 2013).

The following methods did not work for me:
  • putting the BIOS file in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/psx/ (the directory where the psx-roms are)
I have noticed some improvements after getting the BIOS to work, for example Metal Sludge X now has continuous sound and music within the levels, the intro of GT2 doesn't stop in the middle, the intro of Tekken 3 now has sound, etc.

From the warnings Robrush mentioned, I only get
"RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Stocks GLSL shaders will be used"

I hope that helps some people.

Regards,
Carsten

Ransak

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:18 am

So, PCSX actually works for some people? O_o

I've been using the same BIOS file, the md5 matches. When launching any PS1 ROM from emulationstation all I get is a blank screen. Killing retroarch and exiting emulationstation I can see the log of PCSX launching, it finds the BIOS fine (the correct path is in /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/psx/retroarch.cfg and the scph1001.bin file is all lowercase) and loads it without any errors, but nothing happens, just a totally blank screen. SSHing into the Pi and running top while it's sitting there after launching PCSX shows retroarch running at about 50% CPU, so I left it running for a few hours to see if anything would actually happen but still nothing. I've even tried a few other BIOS files with no luck.

Here's the log:

Starting PCSX-ReARMed r15-347-gc6c27cc
Running PCSX Version 1.9 (Nov 2 2013)
Init new dynarec
testing if we can run recompiled code..
test passed.
Mapped (RAM/scrp/ROM/LUTs/TC):
800000000/1f800000/1fc00000/08000000/b4ad3000
found BIOS file: scph1001.bin
RGB565 supported, using it
plugin: plugins/builtin_gpu
plugin: plugins/builtin_spu
plugin: plugins/builtin_pad
plugin: plugins/builtin_pad
Plugins loaded.
Loaded CD Image: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/psx/Tekken 3.7z.
selected sound output driver: libretro
CD-ROM Label: (Some weird ASCII symbols)
CD-ROM ID: SLUS99999
ari64_reset
RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
RetroArch [WARN] :: Failed to init rewind buffer. Rewinding will be disabled.
This is all on a rev2 Pi with Retropie 1.9.1.

What am I missing? I can't find any additional logs that point to any kind of problem. The only kind of change I can think of is I had to force HDMI in /boot/config.txt by uncommenting hdmi_force_hotplug=1 . All other emulator cores work except PPSSPP, but I only own one ROM for that so I haven't focused on it.

Any help would be appreciated! :D

welshy

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:54 am

Ransak
I think it depends on which version of Pcsx_ReARMed your using in RetroPie. The Binary will accept pretty much ANY bios, but I have found the RetroArch Core is a little more selective, try changing the Bios File Name to scph5501.bin, it worked for me. Additionally if running the Binary version (rather than the RetroArch Core) there is a 'Built In' HLE Bios, its just less compatible (some Titles wont work and/or have issues).

'All other emulator cores work except PPSSPP'

I doubt that would work to an acceptable level on the RPi anyway! The PSP is closer to a PS2 in raw processing power than a PS1.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Ransak

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck. I renamed the scph1001.bin to scph5501.bin and it loaded the same as scph1001.bin (the log was identical as the one I posted above except for the new file name), blank screen with retroarch running at 50% CPU.

A thought occurred to me. I compiled pcsx-rearmed manually from git using the notaz git source here, but how exactly does retroarch know the location of the pcsx binary? PCSX wasn't installed for some random reason when I loaded the retropie image and ran through the retropie_setup.sh . I'm assuming it would have dropped the binaries in /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/whatever and the libretro.so in /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pcsx_rearmed - only the pcsx_rearmed/libretro.so was installed, no pcsx binaries other than that library were installed which is why I compiled it from source.
welshy wrote:Ransak
I think it depends on which version of Pcsx_ReARMed your using in RetroPie. The Binary will accept pretty much ANY bios, but I have found the RetroArch Core is a little more selective, try changing the Bios File Name to scph5501.bin, it worked for me. Additionally if running the Binary version (rather than the RetroArch Core) there is a 'Built In' HLE Bios, its just less compatible (some Titles wont work and/or have issues).

'All other emulator cores work except PPSSPP'

I doubt that would work to an acceptable level on the RPi anyway! The PSP is closer to a PS2 in raw processing power than a PS1.

Ransak

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 am

Yep, that has to be the issue, I don't think retroarch knows where the pcsx binary is. I can manually start pcsx from the command line after I've exited emulationstation. Looking at the es_system.cfg shows:

COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin/retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pcsx_rearmed/libretro.so --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/psx/retroarch.cfg %ROM%"
The two retroarch.cfg files in that line don't contain a path to the binaries, so how does retroarch know the path to pcsx?

welshy

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am

Ransak
I cant advise on the Emulation Station cfg script as I don't use it. However I do use RetroArch, on running and selecting an Image it searches the same folder where the .cue & .bin files are for the Bios. The Binary has to be compiled separately from the Source Code, I find its faster than the RetroArch Core anyway (it has built in OpenGLES (fullscreen) or SDL (640x480) rendering). When running you can either use the Built In GUI to select the Bios and save the config, or put it with the executable and run straight from Command Line. Try running the Pcsx_ReARMed Binary 'Stand Alone', if it then works at least you know its an issue with your Emulation Station Script.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Ransak

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Yep the pcsx binary I compiled from the notaz git source does run from the command line, just not from emulatorstation which of course launches retroarch. I think I've determined that the BIOS definitely isn't the problem, it has to be either the emulatorstation or retroarch config. Since emulatorstation launches retroarch which in turn launches specific binaries for whatever emulator is being used my guess is it's a config issue in retroarch. I could be wrong but that's my take on how the process works for launching specific emulators, please correct me if I'm wrong :D
welshy wrote:Ransak
I cant advise on the Emulation Station cfg script as I don't use it. However I do use RetroArch, on running and selecting an Image it searches the same folder where the .cue & .bin files are for the Bios. The Binary has to be compiled separately from the Source Code, I find its faster than the RetroArch Core anyway (it has built in OpenGLES (fullscreen) or SDL (640x480) rendering). When running you can either use the Built In GUI to select the Bios and save the config, or put it with the executable and run straight from Command Line. Try running the Pcsx_ReARMed Binary 'Stand Alone', if it then works at least you know its an issue with your Emulation Station Script.

Return to “Gaming”