Moonmarch

Angband 4.2.0 with SDL2 - Free Role Playing Game

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Angband

I have been playing Angband almost everyday, considering the fact Angband was released in 1990. After I found a way to play this game Angband full screen, I'm talking about every part of the screen is filled with pixels. There are no missing parts of the screen, all you will see is the game, and the status bar on the left side of the screen. Is the SDL2 version of Angband superior to the SDL version of Angband, well not exactly. I will tell you the difference between Angband SDL, and Angband SDL2 is almost nighttime versus daylight.

I do have problems with missing graphics, overall the game is completely playable. I have not tested out all of the graphic tile options for Angband. If you need access to the graphics tile sets you use in Angband SDL, then you should continue to use Angband SDL. I use the original graphics tiles with Angband SDL2, because the original graphic tile set is the most compatible with Angband SDL2. I feel that the original graphic tile set is more authentic Angband in comparison to the other graphic tile sets. The other graphic tile sets will transform Angband into some kind of a Diablo clone. If you use any other graphic tiles with Angband SDL2, Angband will either crash or Angband will crash later in the game.

Here is a link to a guide that I wrote that will show you how to compile Angband 4.2.0 with SDL:

Angband 4.2.0 Free Roguelike and Nethack MS DOS - Raspberry Pi Forums
viewtopic.php?t=252949

Actually the fastest way to run a version Angband on your computer is using the DOS version of Angband. The picture of Angband I used in this guide is actually the DOS version of Angband. While the DOS version of Angband does not receive new updates, starting Angband with DOSBox is 100% frustration free.

Here is how you play Angband using DOSBox:

Download Angband from the website, Angband is freeware:

Download Angband - My Abandonware
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/angband-1c3#download

Unzip the Angband_DOS_EN.zip file, extract into a directory where you store your DOS games. After unzipping the file start DOSBox. CD to the angband directory, then use the command ANGBAND.EXE in the DOS terminal. That is all you have to do to play Angband using DOSBox.

For additional compiling instructions, use the Angband 4.2.0 Free Roguelike and Nethack MS DOS guide that I wrote.

To compile Angband SDL2 you will need the SDL2 dependencies installed on your computer, to install the SDL2 dependencies use the command in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-net-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev
After installing the dependencies, access the angband-4.2.0 directory:

cd angband-4.2.0
Run the commands in the terminal:

./autogen.sh

./configure --enable-sdl2 --enable-sdl2-mixer --with-no-install
Before you run the make command, check the terminal to see if SDL2 is enabled. If SDL2 is enabled, you can run the make command to compile the program:

make -j2
After compiling Angband SDL2, start Angband at least 1 time, access the angband binary directory:

cd src
Before you start Angband you will need Full KMS OpenGL drivers enabled if you are not using the RPI4. To start Angband:

./angband -msdl2 -ssdl2
Close out of Angband using the keyboard command ALT + F4, because the in game menu is not usable.

After exiting Angband, access the .angband hidden directory, open the terminal (CTRL + ALT + T):

cd .angband/Angband
Open the sdl2init.txt file using a text editor:

mousepad sdl2init.txt
You can adjust any parameter that you choose in this file, I don't know if Angband will crash on your computer or not. I will leave a copy of my sdl2init.txt file that you can use as reference, here is my sdl2init.txt file:

window-display:0:0
window-full-rect:0:0:0:1920:1080
window-fullscreen:0:true
window-renderer:0:hardware
window-wallpaper-path:0:/home/pi/angband-4.2.0/lib/icons/att-128.png
window-wallpaper-mode:0:tiled
window-status-bar-font:0:0:12x24x.fon
window-graphics-id:0:1
window-tile-scale:0:width:6
window-tile-scale:0:height:6

subwindow-window:0:0
subwindow-full-rect:0:0:0:1920:1080
subwindow-font:0:0:12x24x.fon
subwindow-borders:0:true
subwindow-top:0:true:false
subwindow-alpha:0:255

You can copy and paste this wall of text over your sdl2init.txt file if you choose. If your computer monitor uses a different screen resolution, then you would have to adjust the parameters yourself.

This parameter adjusts the font size:
  • window-status-bar-font:0:0:12x24x.fon
This parameter adjusts the internal screen resolution:
  • subwindow-full-rect:0:0:0:1920:1080
Here are the parameters that will adjust the size of the graphic tiles:
  • window-tile-scale:0:width:6
  • window-tile-scale:0:height:6
I would continue to write this guide, this guide is long enough.

Brutal Wolfenstein 3D

I wrote this guide that shows you how to run a Doom 2 mod called Brutal Wolfenstein. This guide is called Brutal Wolfenstein 3D and GZDoom 3.82 Legacy Doom Engine Source port Linux. While this Doom 2 mod does not run fast on the RPI computer, the game is more than playable if you lower the graphic settings to the lowest settings. People should not miss out on this opportunity to play Brutal Wolfenstein on the Raspberry PI computer. Here is a link to the Brutal Wolfenstein 3D and GZDoom 3.82 Legacy Doom Engine Source port Linux guide that I wrote:

Brutal Wolfenstein 3D and GZDoom 3.82 Legacy Doom Engine Source port Linux
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=250214#p1527621

bfready

Re: Angband 4.2.0 with SDL2 - Free Role Playing Game

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 am

Hi, Moonmarch.

Do you ever play multplayer on any of the doom mods you play? I've been trying forever to get Doomseeker and Zandronum to work on my RPi4. I've got Zandronum running (thanks to Ptitseb), but unfortunately it's the wrong version of Zandronum.. So you can't play mutlplayer (using doomseeker atleast.. I'm sure you can initiate a local multiplayer game).

I've gotten a lot of mods to work just fine. Granted, you have to lower the resolution and turn off dynamic lights (of course):

Nazi Zombies Doom Edition <-- I want to find a way to play this in multiplayer. Fun game, just like COD NZ, except crappy Doom graphics.
Dustedpandemonium
Brutal Doom V21
Diablo 3D <-- Tristram (sp) part is very slow, but once you are in the dungeon it runs fine.
Strange Aeons <-- awesome mod
Strife <-- pretty good too
ZDoomwars

There are some others.

Moonmarch

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:19 pm

I thought this would be the day someone has a question about Angband, I do have a GZDoom build guide that is about Doom. Angband is freeware if anyone needs to know. bfready, You can ask me questions about Doom or Doom 2 in the Brutal Wolfenstein 3D and GZDoom 3.82 Legacy Doom Engine Source port Linux guide, which I feel is more appropriate. I will answer your question though. If ptitseb is building Zandronum for the RPI computer, this is the person you should be asking these questions that involves the Zandronum build for the RPI computer. That is who authored the program. My advice for you is to continue searching for answers to your problems, which includes how to play multiplayer games using a Doom source port. That is how I find software to compile on the RPI computer, searching the internet, and reading forum posts. I did find a guide that shows you how to play Doom online, here is a link to the guide:

How to play Doom online multiplayer - DoomWiki.org
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/How_to_play_D ... ultiplayer

Not that I don't want to help, reading all of these guides will take a long time. You seem to be one of the people that have interest in using Doom seeker on the RPI computer. How to run Doom Seeker on the RPI computer, you would have a better answer than me at this point. My plans include running Enemy Territory Legacy, or Counter-Strike on the RPI computer. Not all of my plans involve Doom or Doom mods. The RPI computer is not exactly a gaming computer, which is the reason why the RPI gaming forum section is not very active. Usually posts about Minecraft. About Doom Seeker, you can try asking the doomworld forums if you are stuck, here is a link to the doomworld forums website:

Forums - Doomworld
https://www.doomworld.com/

bfready

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi, Moonmarch.

I got Doomseeker and Zandronum working fine. It's just virtually all the people who use this are on Zandronum 3.0. Pititseb ported 3.1. This makes it unable to join any of the games. It sucks, but I doubt it's worth anyone's time to try and port Zandronum 3.0 to Rpi. I was actually just interested if you play multiplayer much on Doom (was looking for someone to play coop with). Or just to hear what mods you have successfully ran on the Rpi.

Sorry about changing the topic. You mentioned Brutal Wolfenstein 3d in this post, so I thought it was "fair game."
Definitely like roguelikes and will probably try and compile Angband this weekend, using your tutorial.

Thanks again.

Moonmarch

Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 pm

I have tested out several Doom mods for Doom, Doom 2, or even Freedoom. I wrote the Brutal Wolfenstein 3D and GZDoom 3.82 Legacy Doom Engine Source port Linux guide, because I wanted to see if people were interested in such a project. I had the impression the GZDoom source port was pushing the RPI computer hardware. I was tired of seeing posts about Android games on the RPI computer, how to install the Steam Store, how to run GameCube games on the RPI computer, etc. Any time a person asks for games on the RPI computer, always the same answers. Play Minecraft, play retro games using Retropie, buy a difference computer, etc. When I started using GZDoom on the RPI computer for the fist time, I was surprised myself. I don't use Windows OS very often.

I did write this short guide that shows you how to run Doom mods using GZDoom. Present day I actually use the Brutal Wolfenstein mod with other Doom maps. I search for new Doom mods all the time. Here is a link to the Doom/Doom 2 mods using GZDoom Doom Engine Source Port Linux guide that I wrote:

Doom/Doom 2 mods using GZDoom Doom Engine Source Port Linux
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=255303

Return to “Gaming”