MamiyaOtaru

Re: BOX86 on RPI4

Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm

MamiyaOtaru wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:01 am
Unreal Tournament 1999 runs OK here :) Needed to get libnsl.so.1 from i386 ( https://packages.debian.org/buster/i386/libc6/download ) and put it in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu for UT to start at all, but then it did. Singleplayer campaign (Start Unreal Tournament) and multiplayer game with bots works. Quick match (Start Practice Session) crashes as soon as I try to start it. No real problem though, multiplayer with bots can be set up pretty much exactly the same as quick match.

I could only get sound to play by installing osspd. No combo of padsp or aoss would work. Sound with the ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem is terrible and laggy but with Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem it sounds just as it should. But the audio lag is still really bad though. Changing OutputRate=22050Hz to OutputRate=48000Hz reduces the lag a lot but it is still there.
Got sound working without lag. osspd-pulse shows no lag, while osspd-alsa does. Couldn't say why, but there it is. Installed osspd-pulse and pulseaudio and UT99 runs pretty well.

Of course Raspbian doesn't install pulseaudio by default. When it is installed, alsa-lib gets redirected to pulseaudio, which talks to the sound drivers. You can switch things around so that pulseaudio talks to alsa-lib which talks to the drivers. That keeps things a lot more like Raspbian defaults (and avoids weird issues like sound only being in mono). I've done that so alsa remains "in charge" of audio and the mixer and output selector continue to work as expected. And somehow ut99->oss-pulse->pulseaudio->alsa-lib->drivers shows no audio lag while ut99->oss-alsa->alsa-lib->drivers does, though it ostensibly has one less step! weird!

UT99 can dip to around 20fps (or worse) looking from the top of Morpheus with as much level geometry in view as possible. From other places on the map, or from more enclosed maps the framerate stays pretty playable. It seems really sensitive to poly count. Anyway with some overclocking or further speed boosts from box86 this one looks ready to go :)

Return to “Gaming”