ti84

Re: My experience getting Emulationstation up and running

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Noob question...How do you get roms from a pc to the pi sd card...will the pi read an usb flash drive? Or can you use a ubuntu machine to move your roms to the PI sd card?

thak

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Ok ... So that means my snes rom are not valid... Gona test more so... (But the one i tried was .zip and ok with retro arch on android :-\ )

Thx Bonehead_pi!

Bonehead_pi

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Thak,

You can check what file formats each of the respective emulators want by looking at the "~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg" configuration file.

thak

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Thx again Bonehead_pi!
By the way, did you manage to run nes/snes/gbc througt composite video? 'Cause i've the same problem (hdmi ok but composite ko)
Also, it's seem that gbc emu run the game in sort of zoom mode, only for the bottom/top of the screen, can we manually fix the aspect ratio for each emu?

LittleJoe

Incorrect N64 controller behavior in EmulationStation

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:36 am

Hi all!

Set up N64 controller (using a Mayflash USB adapter) on the RPi just fine in both ES and RetroArch.

Works perfect in-game, but browsing games doesn't work as well.

With the first game in the list highlighted, when I press the down button the selector jumps to the third game. Press it again, it jumps to the fifth, and so on. The same is true for the 'start menu', e.g. it's impossible to shutdown the Pi from the menu since the shutdown option will never be selected.

Using a keyboard, all works fine.

yottskry

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I've just built EmulationStation from source (pulled from GitHub) and I get the error message:

lvl0: Error - could not find a font!
lvl0: System font "" wasn't found! Well, you're kind of screwed. Sorry. Report this to Aloshi, please.

Does anyone know *how* one sets the system font? From the source, it's using the Boost Font::GetDefaultPath but I can't find out how it determines the default font and path.

Aloshi

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Font thing resolved here: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/64

On Arch, you need to install the font with "pacman -S ttf-dejavu".

yottskry

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Aloshi wrote:Font thing resolved here: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/64

On Arch, you need to install the font with "pacman -S ttf-dejavu".
Thanks for your work on this and your quick response today. I expect Arch users who have X installed will already have the font, but I don't use X so it wasn't there.

LittleJoe

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Regarding my earlier comment on my N64 controller(s). I just installed the latest RetroPie and binaries and now things work. However, upon starting EmulationStation for the first time, during the initial controller setup, it sort of skips the 'up' and 'left' button, and they end up as 'type="hat"' in ES_input.cfg. I changed that to "button" and their ids to what they should be (and the corresponding 'value' to "1") and now things work perfectly! No need for a keyboard anymore.

pollt

Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 am

I've struggled for some hours with the input_exit_emulator_btn command, and I can't figure it out.
In the config I have enable_hotkey_btn set to the same as my start button, and the input_exit_emulator_btn set to the same as my select button (I use a SNES style USB-controller) but somehow it won't work.
What to do?

Do you need to player-assign all the commands that are to be executed with the controller (in this case, input_player1_exit_emulator_btn)?

JBaker1225

Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 pm

pollt wrote:I've struggled for some hours with the input_exit_emulator_btn command, and I can't figure it out.
In the config I have enable_hotkey_btn set to the same as my start button, and the input_exit_emulator_btn set to the same as my select button (I use a SNES style USB-controller) but somehow it won't work.
What to do?

Do you need to player-assign all the commands that are to be executed with the controller (in this case, input_player1_exit_emulator_btn)?
You need to have the first one set as:

Code: Select all

input_enable_hotkey_btn = 9
Or whatever number the button you want to be set. It looks from your description like you're missing the "input_" at the beginning.

Return to “Gaming”