welshy

FBZX - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 pm

FBZX
There seems to be a fascination/obsession with using FUSE on these pages for ZX Spectrum emulation, so I am posting an alternative. FBZX easy to install, can emulate MANY versions of the Spectrum Hardware (Original Spectrum (both issue 2 and issue 3), the classic 128K, the Amstrad Plus 2, the Amstrad Plus 2A and the Spanish 128K. This include 48k, 128 etc) AND works in Console FULL SCREEN with no alterations to the raspi-configs! Its NOT PERFECT, the sound can “click” somewhat, but personally, I think it offers a more “Elegant” solution to ZX Spectrum Emulation!

FBZX-2.10.0 - Compiled using 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian, RPi is 256MEG and over clocked to 900MHz
Source Code - fbzx-2.10.0.tar.bz2*
Dependencies - sdl1.2-dev
Additional Files Required - Game Images (.z80, .tap and .tzx)

*Download Here - http://www.rastersoft.com/descargas/fbzx-2.10.0.tar.bz2

1. Download the source code from the Link
2. Extract the source code
3. CD into the extracted folder and Type -
make
make install (NB It DOES NOT produce an executable from a "make" only compile!)
4. Now make a New Folder, e.g. “ZX Spectrum Game Images” and put your downloaded image files in here (NB They MUST be extracted, it WILL NOT play compressed files (zip, rar etc))
5. To Run the Program Type -
fbzx
(From Console it will automatically be “Fullscreen”, adding -fs to the command line in Terminal under “X” gives “Fullscreen” Mode)
6. Press F1 for the Menu
7. Press "ESC" Twice to Exit

To insert, load and run a Game Image -
• Press F3 to “manage TAP/TZX”
• Press 1 to select a TAP/TZX file, then “ESC”
• Press [J], [CTRL]+[P], [CTRL]+[P], [ENTER] (this is so that we end up entering LOAD “” into the system)
• Wait while loading...........
• The Selected Game Image should now be ready to play!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

welshy

Re: FBZX - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Just a quick note for readers unfamiliar with Linux, Instruction 3 -
make
make install

Obviously, for "make install" you will have to be a "ROOT" user! Or just add -
sudo make install

This was pointed out to me in another Thread!

lost84

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 pm

is it worth saying that you will need SDL?

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

If you intend to use SDL on the raspberry pi without using X windows the SDL library will attempt to access the framebuffer directly. By default only the root user has access to the framebuffer device so we need to add the current user (i.e. what you logged in as) to this group. To do this we need to add the user to the group video, input and audio groups (audio if we use it later) for a minimum you must have video and inpu

sudo usermod -a -G video,input,audio [your username]

Sudo reboot

(see http://jonmacey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/ ... art-1.html)

FBZX works well on my pi, not got the sound working though, anyone had more success?

welshy

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

lost84 wrote:is it worth saying that you will need SDL? ?
I did note:
Dependencies - sdl1.2-dev

In regards to SDL, I don’t think there is a requirement to “add the user to the group video”, I haven’t found the need thus far (In relation to ANTHING I have compiled, on ANY version of Raspbian, as ANY “user”. Surely it’s a “Shared” dependency, although I stand to be corrected! He could mean if you compile it yourself from source rather than “apt-get” (The statement is subsequent) it IS a requirement?

Sound works fine, although, it has a tendency to be “Clicky”. Since the original post I have also installed it on 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian (On a new 512MEG RPi), again, without any issues

To be honest I think this Thread is now a tad redundant due to Andrey’s Unreal (ZX Spectrum) - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16707, I originally posted it as alternative because there seemed to be a fascination/obsession with using “FUSE” for ZX Spectrum Emulation

Return to “Gaming”