Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.12+ (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 pm

mmlpi - Minecraft Modern (Java Edition) Launcher for Raspberry Pi
  • Supports Versions 1.0 - 1.12 (1.13+ are supported, but aren't working now because of not working LWJGL3 libraries)
  • Both arm32 and arm64 support
  • Raspbian (and any other Debian based distro), Gentoo now supported
  • OptiFine, Forge Support and Installer
  • Tools, Patches for better preformance
  • Single Command Install
Tested on Raspberry Pi 3B, 4 4GB, Clean Raspbian Buster Installation (ARM 32bit)

IMPORTANT: Some versions aren't working. Tested Versions are on GitHub (https://github.com/Marekkon5/mmlpi)

Install Command

Code: Select all

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Marekkon5/mmlpi/master/install.sh | sudo bash
NOTE: If you wanna update, remove old version first:

Code: Select all

rm -rf mmlpi/
NOTE: On Gentoo, the installation takes significantly longer, and can show errors (which can be ignored)
Last edited by Marekkon5 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
rpiMike
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Might be nice to get a credit as you are linking to files from my dropbox account !

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 am

rpiMike wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Might be nice to get a credit as you are linking to files from my dropbox account !
Yes, I am sorry, I've used your files for testing and forgot to replace them with official/own ones. I will fix it

EDIT: Now using my libraries and added credits on GitHub

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am

Thanks for building this and sharing. I tried out today on a Pi 3B+ mainly to settle my curiosity around version 1.14 and LWJGL3. To be clear for everyone, this does not require a 64-bit OS.

Thoughts:
* At first glance your script uses OpenJDK 8's JRE. Won't this make everything 2x slower compared to Oracle? I opted to keep my existing Oracle JDK 8.
* Maybe something changed recently with Mojang's version_manifest.json, as it only shows me versions <=1.12.2 under both the 'Snapshots' and Experimental LWJGL 3 lists. I had to hardcode mmlpy.py to get it to give me options for 1.13 and above. Please take a look.
* Instinctively I tried installing Minecraft 1.14.4, and it immediately crashed with some bad native pointer. You should update your compatibility table to dissuade others with that human nature to install the latest.
* Back to 1.14.3 that is included in your table, it ran as advertised. Waited about 8 minutes for the initial launch and another 8 minutes to spawn a world. The game is stable but renders at about 2 fps. This won't be useful even on a Pi 4 until we can do something about that red X in your table under OptiFine 1.14.3.
* rpiMike reported getting 1.13 working, but you've just got a red X on that row. What causes it to fail specifically with mmlpi? Likewise for 1.8.9?

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 pm

jdonald wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am
Thanks for building this and sharing. I tried out today on a Pi 3B+ mainly to settle my curiosity around version 1.14 and LWJGL3. To be clear for everyone, this does not require a 64-bit OS.

Thoughts:
* At first glance your script uses OpenJDK 8's JRE. Won't this make everything 2x slower compared to Oracle? I opted to keep my existing Oracle JDK 8.
* Maybe something changed recently with Mojang's version_manifest.json, as it only shows me versions <=1.12.2 under both the 'Snapshots' and Experimental LWJGL 3 lists. I had to hardcode mmlpy.py to get it to give me options for 1.13 and above. Please take a look.
* Instinctively I tried installing Minecraft 1.14.4, and it immediately crashed with some bad native pointer. You should update your compatibility table to dissuade others with that human nature to install the latest.
* Back to 1.14.3 that is included in your table, it ran as advertised. Waited about 8 minutes for the initial launch and another 8 minutes to spawn a world. The game is stable but renders at about 2 fps. This won't be useful even on a Pi 4 until we can do something about that red X in your table under OptiFine 1.14.3.
* rpiMike reported getting 1.13 working, but you've just got a red X on that row. What causes it to fail specifically with mmlpi? Likewise for 1.8.9?
Hello. Thank you for testing my launcher. I am currently on vacation so Ill look at the bugs and try to fix them later. Sorry.

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am

Ok looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCQXd1QzAc I realize the key difference for that 1.13 demo is that he used arm64 binaries. So my number one feature request would be if you could extend the launcher to download 64-bit native libraries of LWJGL3 and such.

That would double the number of configurations to track, but users here can help you test. It just gives us a better shot at finding configurations that work and narrowing down the source of crashes in native code.

sakaki's next kernel drop fixes V3D in 64-bit mode so it should be possible to get a noticeable improvement in the 1.13 framerate over what's currently shown in rpiMike's video.

Also, in install.sh I noticed your "accessibility" workaround is specific to OpenJDK, so it appears switching to Oracle Java 8 will simplify things in multiple ways.

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Hello. Thank you for the suggestions and info. I am currently working on new big update which will support arm64 (for lwjgl3). About Java - I used OpenJDK because it was easier for me to install and include in the install script. Oracle Java isnt in the apt repositories anymore and if you want to download it requires an Oracle Account. If you know some workaround let me know. Thank you.

jdonald wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am
Ok looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCQXd1QzAc I realize the key difference for that 1.13 demo is that he used arm64 binaries. So my number one feature request would be if you could extend the launcher to download 64-bit native libraries of LWJGL3 and such.

That would double the number of configurations to track, but users here can help you test. It just gives us a better shot at finding configurations that work and narrowing down the source of crashes in native code.

sakaki's next kernel drop fixes V3D in 64-bit mode so it should be possible to get a noticeable improvement in the 1.13 framerate over what's currently shown in rpiMike's video.

Also, in install.sh I noticed your "accessibility" workaround is specific to OpenJDK, so it appears switching to Oracle Java 8 will simplify things in multiple ways.

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Awesome, looking forward to trying it out.

For getting Oracle Java 8, you can take a look at rpiMike's setupMC1.sh. He stored the .tar.gz in his own Dropbox folder and unpacks it. Maybe not what we're used to but it gets the job done.

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 am

Hello. Thank you for the info, I'll use that idea. Currently I am unable to get working any lwjgl3 versions so it will be delayed.
jdonald wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm
Awesome, looking forward to trying it out.

For getting Oracle Java 8, you can take a look at rpiMike's setupMC1.sh. He stored the .tar.gz in his own Dropbox folder and unpacks it. Maybe not what we're used to but it gets the job done.

User avatar
rpiMike
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am

jdonald wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am
Thanks for building this and sharing. I tried out today on a Pi 3B+ mainly to settle my curiosity around version 1.14 and LWJGL3. To be clear for everyone, this does not require a 64-bit OS.
I thought lwjgl3 was only available for 64bit?

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am

I was able to run it on arm32 Raspbian using the nightly binaries from: https://www.lwjgl.org/browse/nightly/linux/arm32 . But using the latest version returns a SIGSEV JVM error. Same for arm64 (for me). Please let me know if you have any working libraries.

rpiMike wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am
jdonald wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am
Thanks for building this and sharing. I tried out today on a Pi 3B+ mainly to settle my curiosity around version 1.14 and LWJGL3. To be clear for everyone, this does not require a 64-bit OS.
I thought lwjgl3 was only available for 64bit?

User avatar
rpiMike
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm

I also get a SIGSEV JVM error with 3.2.3 nightly on Gentoo 64bit.

I do have an older lwjgl3 that still works with 1.14.4 and Optifine, however fps is low and sound corrupt.

Edit: played for 5 mins and the sound has recovered and fps improved

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Could you please share the .so files? I wasn't able to compile the older version from source. Thank you
rpiMike wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm
I also get a SIGSEV JVM error with 3.2.3 nightly on Gentoo 64bit.

I do have an older lwjgl3 that still works with 1.14.4 and Optifine, however fps is low and sound corrupt.

Edit: played for 5 mins and the sound has recovered and fps improved


Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you so much. BTW I just managed to get running LWJGL2 versions on 64bit.
rpiMike wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm
Hopefully this has what you need:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x765uoy6ihj3 ... m64.tar.gz

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm

rpiMike wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am
I thought lwjgl3 was only available for 64bit?
That used to be the case, but was resolved this past May by @PokeMMO. See this GitHub comment.
Marekkon5 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am
using the latest [LWJGL3] version returns a SIGSEV JVM error. Same for arm64 (for me). Please let me know if you have any working libraries.
Here are the 32-bit binaries saved on my system that worked with 1.14.3 last week: LWJGL3.tar.xz
rpiMike wrote: I do have an older [arm64] lwjgl3 that still works with 1.14.4 and Optifine, however fps is low
Did you install the updated kernel from a few days ago? The one you ran a while back had V3D acceleration broken, and as far as I know sakaki hasn't yet incorporated the latest kernel into released images for Raspbian 64-bit or Gentoo. edit: Ok looks like Gentoo got an update this morning.

With 32-bit 1.14.3 I get about 40 fps and with the right graphics drivers I'd expect roughly the same on 64-bit 1.14.4.

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am

My setup:
RPi 4 with 4GB RAM - Running latest Raspbian (arm32)
RPi 3B with Pi64: https://github.com/bamarni/pi64

On both Pis I am running latest Oracle Java, tested LWJGL2 versions work.

Lastest LWJGL3 Version (from https://www.lwjgl.org/browse/nightly/linux/) - No versions are working on both (32 and 64).
rpiMike arm64 - Doesn't work for me.
jdonald arm32 - Works but only 1.14.3. No other versions (tried 1.14.4, 1.14.2, 1.13.2) doesn't work for me.

I am currently trying to compile older LWJGL3 natives.

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Congrats on getting most LWJGL2 versions to run. Hopefully that resolves the 1.12.2 and 1.8.9 problems in your table, may have been caused by by OpenJDK.
Marekkon5 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am
(tried 1.14.4, 1.14.2, 1.13.2) doesn't work for me.
Well that's consistent with your old compatibility table. I didn't try 1.14.2, but 1.14.4 and all 1.13.x versions crashed for me last week. Perhaps we can't expect to get much more out of the 32-bit configs without a lot of effort.

Though we don't have an explanation for why those provided arm64 binaries work for rpiMike but not you. To me that suggests that it won't be resolved by compiling older LWJGL3 versions.
Bamarni's distro is so old that it doesn't even boot on a Pi 3B+. On a Pi 3B I think it reports loading the VC4 driver but if you run glxgears + top you'll find it's doing software rendering. Plus on a Pi 3B+ or older you're limited to 1 GB of RAM and there's more that can go wrong if constantly swapping. You could have better results keeping any 1.13+ arm64 tests on a Pi 4B 2GB or higher.

mmg
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 pm

First of all, thank you for your time. Me and my daughter have a problem. We want to install minecraft 1.14 on her new RPi 4. She currently has minecraft 1.12 on it but wants 1.14. to play with friends. Do you know if there is any tutorial or similar so we can solve this? We are beginners at raspberry pi and not very good at writing English, but hope you understand.

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 pm

That reminded me to try to fix the OptiFine. I will switch to Gentoo for testing on the Pi3B then, but I don't know any Pi4 arm64 OSes which have GPU rendering and all those features. Thank you.
jdonald wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Congrats on getting most LWJGL2 versions to run. Hopefully that resolves the 1.12.2 and 1.8.9 problems in your table, may have been caused by by OpenJDK.
Marekkon5 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am
(tried 1.14.4, 1.14.2, 1.13.2) doesn't work for me.
Well that's consistent with your old compatibility table. I didn't try 1.14.2, but 1.14.4 and all 1.13.x versions crashed for me last week. Perhaps we can't expect to get much more out of the 32-bit configs without a lot of effort.

Though we don't have an explanation for why those provided arm64 binaries work for rpiMike but not you. To me that suggests that it won't be resolved by compiling older LWJGL3 versions.
Bamarni's distro is so old that it doesn't even boot on a Pi 3B+. On a Pi 3B I think it reports loading the VC4 driver but if you run glxgears + top you'll find it's doing software rendering. Plus on a Pi 3B+ or older you're limited to 1 GB of RAM and there's more that can go wrong if constantly swapping. You could have better results keeping any 1.13+ arm64 tests on a Pi 4B 2GB or higher.

Marekkon5
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:52 pm

There isn't currently a simple way to do it, but if you're using my launcher then:
1. Install version 1.14.3
2. Install OptiFine using the Tools/Install Optifine menu
3. Replace the binaries with those jdonald shared:

Code: Select all

cd ~/mmlpi/minecraft/bin/natives/
rm -rf LWJGL3
wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6gaickl7daob1c/LWJGL3.tar.xz?dl=1 -O LWJGL3.tar.xz
tar xf LWJGL3.tar.xz
rm LWJGL3.tar.xz
You can then start it from the launcher using the OptiFine version.
mmg wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 pm
First of all, thank you for your time. Me and my daughter have a problem. We want to install minecraft 1.14 on her new RPi 4. She currently has minecraft 1.12 on it but wants 1.14. to play with friends. Do you know if there is any tutorial or similar so we can solve this? We are beginners at raspberry pi and not very good at writing English, but hope you understand.

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Marekkon5 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 pm
I don't know any Pi4 arm64 OSes which have GPU rendering and all those features.
The Gentoo image released yesterday should do it: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=249248
mmg wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 pm
wants 1.14. to play with friends.
Welcome @mmg. So far this is only working for 1.14.3. Are her friends on 1.14.4? If so this won't be compatible, but at least she'd get to experience all the 1.14 features in singleplayer mode.

User avatar
rpiMike
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I've got 1.14.4 + Optifine working on my Pi4 4GB with the latest Gentoo 64bit and the lwjgl3 files that I linked.

mmg
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm

rpiMike wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm
I've got 1.14.4 + Optifine working on my Pi4 4GB with the latest Gentoo 64bit and the lwjgl3 files that I linked.
Do you have any link to some tutorial or other so we can know what to do?

User avatar
rpiMike
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: mmlpi - Minecraft Launcher for Raspberry Pi. Versions 1.0 - 1.14 (+ OptiFine, Forge)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:57 pm

mmg wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm
rpiMike wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm
I've got 1.14.4 + Optifine working on my Pi4 4GB with the latest Gentoo 64bit and the lwjgl3 files that I linked.
Do you have any link to some tutorial or other so we can know what to do?
Not yet, but will do.

https://youtu.be/Jd6PAe5c4P4

Return to “Gaming”