Lorenzo1393

Need a new power supply

Sat May 25, 2019 6:46 am

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ that I bought as part of a kit. However having used it for a little while I have noticed that the packaged power supply isn't providing the pi with enough power causing the under voltage symbol to be on the screen semi permanently.
I tested my pi with a power supply with output 5V-5.4A (2.4 per port) and random micro usb cable and it worked flawlessly (even with some pressure on it). However that setup doesn't include a switch.
So my question is can anyone recommend a power supply that will work under pressure that includes a switch?
I've tried to find one myself but I find Amazon's description/pictures don't match so struggling to find a reliable source.
Many thanks

Andyroo

Re: Need a new power supply

Sat May 25, 2019 11:21 am

Not found one to buy yet. All the ones I’ve tried have thin string masquerading as wire :roll: I thought about using breakout boards and a switch but they where the wrong sex, a sacrificial cable with a different plug / socket or making one up (though my soldering is not great on small items) but gave up with all of these.

I ended up putting the Pi power supply into a replacement switched socket rather than pull the cable in and out and got one with USB charging in at the same time. (NO the Pi does not run off the sockets USB).
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Imperf3kt

Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm

You could use the official power supply and modify the cable.
Note that adding a switch will increase resistance and may cause low voltage issues.
If you want a power supply with a switch, the best is a wall wart that you switch on and off at the wall (AC side)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

PhatFil

Sun May 26, 2019 12:25 am

fwiw I am a big fan of smart switches, provide any suitable PSU with mains power via a smart switch and you can send it a ' turn of in 90 seconds' command before executing a shutdown, and also wake the pi on demand too..

LTolledo

Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm
If you want a power supply with a switch, the best is a wall wart that you switch on and off at the wall (AC side)
+1 on this

All my RPis are switched ON/OFF via the AC side , using an extension cord with switches per socket (6-socket with 6-switches)
or you can get a single-socket single-switch combo.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Gaming”