pygmy_giant

Re: Another Elite thread

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 pm

We should not leap to conclusions based on just that info. Wish I had not read it though as its a bit depressing and I feel like I have an interest now that I have made my pledge. They do say that
We have provided redundancy arrangements in excess of the minimum.
. But in the news today the government has announced that they want to reduce this minimum.

There is no absolute garuntee that Frontier will get this kickstarter money although the pledge rate does seem to be picking up again.

SiriusHardware

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:18 am

I do really wish that this kickstarter project of theirs was -specfically- for a Pi version of Elite: Dangerous.

I'm long past the stage where I could afford to build new gameworthy PCs every two or three years and so will not, realistically, ever be able to play the PC version at an acceptable framerate. It therefore makes little sense for me to pledge towards a version that I will never play.

pygmy_giant

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:58 pm

I think they would certainly get a flood of pledges if they themselves pldged to a Pi version rather than teasing and hinting at it.

poglad

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 pm

I was fairly excited when I pledged at the start, but the Kickstarter "updates" have become increasingly boring, even irritating. Roll on Jan 4th so that they can start giving us some proper updates rather than drivel from their marketing guy. (Thumbs up to the MagPi here, I enjoyed their emails...)

As for the unfortunate people who've had to start 2013 looking for a new job, I really feel for them. They just got a shot of 80's games-industry nostalgia of the other kind. :cry:

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 am

They have just reached their funding goal!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20897768

ejsolutions

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

A Mac version, how quaint. :roll:
I wouldn't even see me playing it on my Linux laptop, let alone the dust-ridden desktop PC.
Target the Pi first, that's what I say - much more like days of yore, sitting for hours in front of a telly screen, until eyelids need matchsticks.

I'd still like a definitive guide to getting the original running on the Pi. I've muddled around some posts and done some Googling but just got more and more confused. How's about a turnkey image, anyone?

pygmy_giant

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I am not convinced that I will be able to use my copy when I get it in a years time - my Windows laptop is 5 years old. I might end up giving it away. I do hope they release a Pi version as it's GPU capability is greater than it's CPU capability and it needs something to showcase it.

Broccoli

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm

ejsolutions wrote: I'd still like a definitive guide to getting the original running on the Pi. I've muddled around some posts and done some Googling but just got more and more confused. How's about a turnkey image, anyone?

I found this http://one.xthost.info/zelko/ELITE/index.html which is some sort of remake/port with arm binaries. If someone could figure out if this works and post a guide it would be great.

poglad

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 am

ejsolutions wrote:I'd still like a definitive guide to getting the original running on the Pi. I've muddled around some posts and done some Googling but just got more and more confused. How's about a turnkey image, anyone?
I think the word on the street is that you can run a BBC emulator at full speed under RISC OS, so perhaps someone who has managed to do so could knock up an image that contains the emulator and Elite ready to go!

I still think a Pi version is actually going to happen as a "surprise" - I'd like to think they want to make it free, and therefore needed the Kickstarter project to finance the PC version in order to pay for the development. Otherwise it does seem odd that they didn't even have it as a stretch goal. People were complaining about the lack of a Pi version early on, but as I pointed out, if it had been part of the Kickstarter project then they'd have had to pay. This could be a way of making a free Pi version available. Optimistic?

brox

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm

texy wrote:I,m very surprised that no one has mentioned the X-Universe series of games.
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3/screens ... 27_th1.jpg

Texy
X- series are all beautiful games (much, much better than original Elite and any original Elite clones). But the problem is even simpliest X-BTF will not run on Pi. It uses a lot of CPU/HDD. Not to mention sources are inavailable and DirectX required to run... Perhaps if we wait some 30 years, Egosoft might release the sources)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Return to “Gaming”