felipeota

CPS2Emu

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:03 am

I've managed to compile and run CPS2Emu on the Pi. It runs quite fast.
The code is at https://github.com/felipeota/cps2emu-rpi.
Precompiled binaries for Raspbian are at: https://github.com/downloads/felipeota/ ... emu.tar.gz

To install it just uncompress cps2emu.tar.gz in your home directory.
Copy rom files to cps2emu/roms
From cps2emu/ run:

Code: Select all

./cps2romcnv <rom>
where <rom> is the rom name without the extension. This will create a cache file for that rom, it can take a while.
Then to run the emulator:

Code: Select all

./cps2emu <rom>
I've tried it without starting X in Raspbian. I've just managed to get it running so there are a lot of issues like the sound doesn't work. I really didn't know much about this emulator until I started looking for one for the Pi. It was originally designed to run on the GP2X so I figured it would run quite well. Porting required was minimal, since GP2X is arm and there was a version for the N900 that was using SDL.

I'll try to improve it over time.

That's it, enjoy!

aguirrech

Re: CPS2Emu

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:36 pm

That's great! will CPS1 roms work with this emu?

aguirrech

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:12 pm

I can't get roms loading. Zipped roms aren't recognized in roms directory.

welshy

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 pm

felipeota
I tinkered with this code months ago, it seems to have the same problem I encountered with the “original” GPX2 code, it compiles, coverts the ROM to cache, loads fine then at “Press Any Button” closes! Your “Binary” suffers from the same obstacle (On my set up), whether in “X” or “Console” Any suggestions?

Aguirrech
One last thing, you have to use “cps2romcnv” to convert the ROM to CACHE FIRST! If you’re interested/are not aware, MANY EMU’s on the Linux Handhelds (PSP, Dingoo, Pandora, GP2X etc) load the ROMS into “cache” (They don’t have enough RAM to hold the FULL ROM) because “Flash Rom” memory access time is “pitiful” next to “Mask Rom” and a lot of these BIG games streamed the bitmaps for the animation straight off the ROM’s! Thats’s why the Neo-Geo’s animation of sprites is SO BUTTER SMOOTH! (Just compare the PS1 or Saturn versions of the Metal Slug Series!)

NGDEVTEAM still produce games for the Neo-Geo (Also Dreamcast Ports), you can still see the Advantages over CD/DVD (Due to memory access time) here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1f_942aio

But, of course the disadvantage is the game costs, Neo-Geo $500, Dreamcast $35!!!!!

Just a shame the Neo-Geo AVS (Home version) was so SHOCKINGLY EXPENSIVE when it was released or it MAY have become a bigger seller (Thus reducing Hardware/Software costs) like it’s MVS cousin! But that’s what your get for “State of the Art” hardware! (As it WAS at the time!)
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

aguirrech

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:00 pm

yes but i can't create the cache files because of that.

felipeota

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Aguirrech

You should run the program from the installation directory. Also when running it you should omit the file extension. Also please post the message you are getting.

Wheezy

For me it runs fine. I tried it with sfa2 and sfa3. Sfa3 has some gfx issues. Always from a tty console without starting X. I will post more detailed instructions and try to make it run from X.

aguirrech

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi got it working!, how can i change the general settings? any way to get fullscreen or edit buttons? :twisted:

felipeota

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Glad it worked for you! There is no way right now to make it work full screen or change the default keys. I'll make those work in future releases and try to make it work inside retro arch for a better frontend.

Return to “Gaming”