Chep

Re: snes9x-1.39-rpi -- full speed SNES emulation with sound

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:22 pm

kalehrl wrote:I saved it in the middle of a round and it put me at the beginning when I loaded it.
I've never seen this. Can you reproduce?
Chep

kalehrl

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I tried 2 savestates on donkey kong country and the first was in the middle of a round and the other at the end of it. The first one threw me at the beginning when loading it while the other worked fine.
Also tried 2 savestates on aladdin and they both worked fine so this is not very important.

gpalmq

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice work. I have had problems emulating the snes in other ways. (The retropie script installs a pocketsnes core that had bizarre color problems. Self compiled cores had issues as well. Snes-libretro was unplayably slow and Bsnes-libretro wouldn't load.)

Since the changeover to the confTool, is there a good way to change the direction control from the stick to the D-pad (on an old 360 controller)? The input.config file is more difficult to look through and parse than the old joystick.h. It seems clear that I just need to add some more items with the button numbers under the correct controller, but I'm not sure what the mapping should be.

I'm also having a freezing load save issue, but that has been mentioned.

Thanks for your effort.

Chep

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 am

kalehrl wrote:I tried 2 savestates on donkey kong country and the first was in the middle of a round and the other at the end of it. The first one threw me at the beginning when loading it while the other worked fine.
Also tried 2 savestates on aladdin and they both worked fine so this is not very important.
I'm working on it. Feel free to add issues in github. It's easier for me to remember.
gpalmq wrote:Nice work. I have had problems emulating the snes in other ways. (The retropie script installs a pocketsnes core that had bizarre color problems. Self compiled cores had issues as well. Snes-libretro was unplayably slow and Bsnes-libretro wouldn't load.)

Since the changeover to the confTool, is there a good way to change the direction control from the stick to the D-pad (on an old 360 controller)? The input.config file is more difficult to look through and parse than the old joystick.h. It seems clear that I just need to add some more items with the button numbers under the correct controller, but I'm not sure what the mapping should be.

I'm also having a freezing load save issue, but that has been mentioned.

Thanks for your effort.
My controller has a button to switch between stick or pad so I don't know how to solve your problem. Maybe SDL can detect you have 2 direction control systems... I'll try something... Please be patient.
Chep

Chep

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am

Savestates bug seems to be fixed :-)
With donkey kong country it used to me at the beginning of the level too but I can't reproduce it since I fixed freeze bug. I think it was the same problem.

I had to do a dirty patch in emulator "core" to start dk country otherwise I got a segmentation fault after Nintendo title. Bug is also reproducible with palerider's version. kalehrl how did you make it work?
Chep

yottskry

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Am I the only one who is having no luck whatsoever with snes9x? I've compiled it a few times on both Raspbian and Arch and it basically doesn't run anything. I get a black screen on Super Mario World and I can get as far as the game select on Super Mario All Stars. Yoshi's island gives me a black screen, as does Super Bomberman.

As other people seem to be playing games with no trouble I assume I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Chep

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm

yottskry wrote:Am I the only one who is having no luck whatsoever with snes9x? I've compiled it a few times on both Raspbian and Arch and it basically doesn't run anything. I get a black screen on Super Mario World and I can get as far as the game select on Super Mario All Stars. Yoshi's island gives me a black screen, as does Super Bomberman.

As other people seem to be playing games with no trouble I assume I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?
You are not the only one. Please add issues here with maximum information.
Chep

kalehrl

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I had to do a dirty patch in emulator "core" to start dk country otherwise I got a segmentation fault after Nintendo title. Bug is also reproducible with palerider's version. kalehrl how did you make it work?
It worked for me from the very start both with palerider's version and yours.
Could it be a bad rom?
Nothing else pops to mind.
Am I the only one who is having no luck whatsoever with snes9x? I've compiled it a few times on both Raspbian and Arch and it basically doesn't run anything. I get a black screen on Super Mario World and I can get as far as the game select on Super Mario All Stars. Yoshi's island gives me a black screen, as does Super Bomberman.
I had the same problem with sega mega drive emulator dgen.
I solved it by using dispmanx SDL binaries:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p230325
I also run snes9x with them.
Try it and maybe it will fix your problem.

yottskry

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

kalehrl wrote:
I had the same problem with sega mega drive emulator dgen.
I solved it by using dispmanx SDL binaries:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p230325
I also run snes9x with them.
Try it and maybe it will fix your problem.
I don't get the issue with dgen, and if I use the dispmanx SDL libs EmulationStation doesn't correctly load emulators (it just bails out to command line when you choose a game. Known issue but one I don't want to have to address)

Chep

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

kalehrl wrote:Could it be a bad rom?
Don't think so. I have the same bug with Super Mario world. I'm trying on my computer because I have no rpi for the moment so it could the problem. yottskry seems to have the same bug on rpi.
Chep

kalehrl

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

if I use the dispmanx SDL libs EmulationStation doesn't correctly load emulators
I'm familiar with this issue.
The workaround is here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 12#p306012
@Chep
Try using dispmanx SDL libs and see if it helps with black screen issue.

sgtslaughter

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 am

Just curious, anyone here able to run Street Fighter Alpha II (USA)? I've tried both the snes9x-rpi and the emulator bundled with retro pie with no avail. The rom works for me though on my PC using zsnes.

I've had the black screen issue a bunch (since I've rebuilt my OS so many times), not sure what fixed it most of the time, but I installed some more packages, did the latest apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, rebooted and it worked after the fact.

kalehrl

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

anyone here able to run Street Fighter Alpha II (USA)
I tried it but it doesn't work for me as well.

Chep

Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,

I have pushed some little improvements this week. If you are using a debian distribution you can use dpkg-buildpackage to create a .deb file and then install it with dpkg. If you are using another distrib, you can run 'make install'. Snes9x and confTool will be installed in $DESTDIR/usr/bin (use empty DESTDIR variable to install in /usr/bin).

360 controller seems to work. On my gamepad both direction pad and joystick work.

I'm working on black screen issue. I saw some (many) crappy things in code and I'm trying to find a fix in a newer version.

Someone told me (private message) that he's using a original super nes gamepad and so he can't map any quit button.
What I'd like to know... Is there any way that I can set it so a button combination exits the emulator?
I think this is a good idea. This is less 'dangerous' than only one button.
Chep

Aloshi

Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm

You might want to go the "enable hotkeys" button route of RetroArch. Basically, hotkeys (e.g. load/save state, quit) only work while the "enable hotkeys" mapped input is held down. It's a bit easier to code than proper combination support.

Chep

Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 am

Aloshi wrote:You might want to go the "enable hotkeys" button route of RetroArch. Basically, hotkeys (e.g. load/save state, quit) only work while the "enable hotkeys" mapped input is held down. It's a bit easier to code than proper combination support.
I don't understand. If you have no button left how can you enable hotkeys?
Chep

Tchaly

Thu May 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey Chep !

I've tried to play bomberman 5 with 2 keyboards and one game pad (3 player mode). It seems that only 2 players are recognized : 1 with keyboards, the other with a game pad.
If I confTool only with 2 keyboards, the 2 keyboards' players are recognized. If I confTool with 1 keyboard 1 game pad, it works as well.
So my guess is : with your current version of snes9x-rpi, more than 2 players isn't supported, right ?
If it is, is there anyway to fix it ?

Bye !
Tchaly.

Chep

Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Tchaly wrote:Hey Chep !

I've tried to play bomberman 5 with 2 keyboards and one game pad (3 player mode). It seems that only 2 players are recognized : 1 with keyboards, the other with a game pad.
If I confTool only with 2 keyboards, the 2 keyboards' players are recognized. If I confTool with 1 keyboard 1 game pad, it works as well.
So my guess is : with your current version of snes9x-rpi, more than 2 players isn't supported, right ?
If it is, is there anyway to fix it ?

Bye !
Tchaly.
Is it possible to have more than 2 players when playing on a real super nes? If yes this is a bug, I'll try to fix.
Chep

JBaker1225

Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, with a multi-tap. You just have to enable multi-tap support somewhere in the code.

Tchaly

Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 am

Chep wrote:Is it possible to have more than 2 players when playing on a real super nes? If yes this is a bug, I'll try to fix.
Yes, like JBaker1225 said, it's possible to play more than 2 players with the multitap device ! Here is a little wiki about this device : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES_Multitap .
The list of command line here : http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Snes9x specify that there is a :
-nomp5 Disable emulation of the Multiplayer 5 adapter
I was thinking that there might be a -mp5 command line to enable it ? So I've tried but the command isn't recognized. Too bad !

Chep

Sun May 19, 2013 9:44 am

Neither nomp5 nor mp5 options exist in the version we are using. Current code is looking for 5 controllers so I don't know why it does not work. I think input events are intercepted but not interpreted. This is in a part of the code I don't know yet.
Chep

dylanh724

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 am

Did anyone ever get this working with OpenElec XBMC??

Chep

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:04 pm

dylanh724 wrote:Did anyone ever get this working with OpenElec XBMC??
Never tried sorry. I only tested on arch and raspbian. If you try, please report any problem here.
Chep

Chep

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi all,

I just pushed a branch SDL2.0 here:
https://github.com/chep/snes9x-rpi/tree/SDL2.0
I need to make more tests before merging it in master.

To use it, you will need SDL2 and SDL_ttf recompiled with SDL2. You will also
need boost libraries > 1.50 (see below).

I tried to play Zelda a link to the past, Aladdin and Donkey Kong
country. Fullscreen is now better (it should use openGL ES to fit screen size) but it does not
improve global performances.

It is important to restart confTool because input management has changed in SDL2
and some keys/buttons may have changed.

---------

I found a lot of crappy code and tried to fix it in this branch:

do
{
CHECK_SOUND ();
while (gettimeofday (&now, NULL) < 0) ;
} while (timercmp(&next1, &now, >));

CHECK_SOUND does nothing... Busy waiting has been banned since 1834 because it
uses 100% of cpu. I changed it and now use boost_chrono and boost_thread to
sleep (next1 - now) milliseconds. That's why you will need boost_thread > 1.50
because older versions do not include boost::this_thread::sleep_until(). Debian
packaging is not up to date.

On my computer snes9x does not uses 100% of CPU anymore but on raspberry it
still need to because CPU is slower. I'll try to find more optimization. Anyway
it makes the process nicer for the others.

----------

While playing on my computer (faster to compile and test) I got more crashes
than on raspberry. I found them, see commit: d525016 * Ugly fix of strange code
It does not crash anymore but the first line of the screen is sometimes
crappy. I need to understand the code to fix it properly.

----------

I also know why Super Mario All Stars crashes but I don't know how to fix it
now. I read the code and it just can't work... To be continued...
Chep

KitchUK

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Chep
You mentioned you know the reason Mario All Stars doesn't work with any emulators (controls go unresponsive). Did you manage to fix this? Could you shed some light on why this happens?

Return to “Gaming”