rage607

Games won't run properly

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm

I habe a problem running games.
I habe ra Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
The problem is that even the intros and menus of Quake 3 and openarena are lagging so hard, that it is impossible to change any settings.

They also just open in a tiny window. Just like Minecraft does.
I already changed the resolution of the pi and the Memory split (up to 256).
Is there something I am doing wrong?

rage607

Re: Games won't run properly

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 am

I would like to add that the processor is at 95% in the menu of quake 3 (I closed and disabled anything that could potentially put some load on the cpu).
And I also tried both GL Drivers.

EDIT:
With htop I see that while the intro loads one core is at 100%, after th intro another core is at 100% and in the menu every single core ist around 96%.

EDIT2:

I also get graphic glitches in the menu. Bascially black (or missing) parts.
The temperature of the cpu is at 40°C but of course starts to climb under full load in the menu. But it never went so hot that it throttled.
Mem usage is at 41 % in the menu.

jdonald

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm

And I also tried both GL Drivers.
Strange, the common Pi Quake 3 repos that I'm aware of shouldn't run at all with OpenGL + full KMS enabled (expect to get a "failed to add service error" off the bat.)The last time I saw Quake 3 open in a tiny window was when I tested q3lite with the Mesa GLES driver, and of course one way to make that unsupported config lag uncontrollably is to run it with the legacy driver.

Back to supported configs, can you give some detail such as which Quake 3 repo you're trying to run? For example there's https://github.com/cdev-tux/q3lite and the much older https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3

Either one should be linking only with the legacy VC libs and you can confirm that it linked correctly by running ldd on your binaries and seeing /opt/vc/lib EGL+GLES libraries in there. Also, after setting back to the legacy driver in raspi-config and rebooting, check /boot/config.txt to confirm that no v3d overlay is enabled.

rage607

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am

I used this guide to get it:
https://raspberrytips.com/install-play- ... pberry-pi/

I installed it via the terminal.

I also installed the opengl drivers and the library.

For the rest you said:
I am still learning how to use linux/raspbian.
So I might not get the desired infos, that you need.

Thank you for helping me and sorry for my bad english.

jdonald

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 pm

I see now. Looks like you used one of the first two methods "From the desktop" or "From the raspbian repository". I looked at the installed products from the Raspbian repo and this looks like the standard Debian armhf quake3 which links with Mesa libGL.

My guess is that the Raspbian repo used to provide the /opt/vc-based brcmGLES-linked RaspbianQuake3. That was probably the case back when the article was written, then at some point it was accidentally switched back to the standard Quake 3. This has happened before for packages like Kodi, or even VLC as recently as last week

Until someone ports Quake 3 to work smoothly with the open-source driver, you need to use the third method on that page "From GitHub" to build the brcmGLES-linked ioquake3. Alternatively, try q3lite.

I know everything I said above sounds a little complicated, so feel free to ask questions so we can clarify.

Return to “Gaming”