mrgommel

My NES Design

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:58 am

Hi all,

This is a first time post for me, but I've used quite a lot of information from others found on these forums to make my design. I'll explain a few of the things to hopefully make things a little clearer. To star things off, I would be using the Pi 3 B+.
1.) I plan on getting a power supply unit, similar to the one found here: https://www.alliedelec.com/traco-power- ... /70406357/. This will be wired up to a standard outlet so you don't need to worry about carrying around a dedicated power adapter (you can just plug in a standard power cable found with most desktop computers). This is depicted via the image on the far left.
2.) The item at the very bottom would be a Mausberry so I could safely shutdown/power on the pi; found here: https://www.mausberrycircuits.com/colle ... =352148009.
3.) The RESET button would allow me to escape the current game and go back to the home screen of Emulation Station.
4.) The LED would be a Bi-Color LED so it would be red when the pi is powered down, and green when powered on.
Now for the more complicated stuff...
5.) I am looking to wire up so the original controllers would work via the GPIO pins, but you could also use a USB NES controller if for some reason the original fails to work. I would use a DP3T slide switch to control which port would provide power so you wouldn't be able to use an original controller AND a USB NES controller for P1. The reason for the 3rd switch in the DP3T would be for a lightgun. The reason for the 2nd DP3T slide switch would be so I could write a piece of code to automatically load the correct controller mapping based on which spot the switch is on (left = lightgun; middle = USB NES controller; right = original NES controller).

I BELIEVE I have everything drawn out properly, and theoretically, this should work. Has anyone attempted to do this, and do you see any issues with what I have showing? Any recommendations to alterations/changes based on what I have? I'm looking to keep this to be used ONLY for NES as I plan on doing a similar setup for SNES, Genesis, etc. (just a personal preference).

If you have any questions, or need me to clarify anything, feel free to let me know. Thanks for the feedback/help!

WillBoxOwO

Re: My NES Design

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Absolutely awesome, looks promising!
What will be the dimensions of the case?
I like cats

mrgommel

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:55 pm

I plan on keeping it the same dimensions as the original NES case. The things that are not shown here are that I would have access to a dedicated USB port for a keyboard connection as well as the SD card under the flap where the original games would go, and on the back I would not only have the HDMI and power ports, but also a dedicated USB connection for the lightbar for the the lightguns and the LAN port. Just wanted to make sure the wiring was setup properly before attempting to buy all of the various parts.

Anyone know if the controller mappings are the same for the original controller and a USB equivalent? If it's different, then I think my design will remain the same, if the mappings are the same, then I have an alternate idea for that scenario.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 am

Your 5A supply is surely overkill, and too big. The 3A model is enough, unless you want to add a hard-disk.

mrgommel

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:17 am

I was actually thinking closer to 4A to account for the 4 fans and the pi, and my buddy who is a master electrician said to always find a power supply by adding all of the amps together, then add 25% (hence why I'm looking at 4A). I agree that 3A should put me really close to the max for everything there.

Imperf3kt

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:23 am

I recently discovered the Pirl charger which can output 2.7A across four USB ports simultaneously.
Here's a YouTube video by an electronics expert I follow.

https://youtu.be/J58RLAKeIps

https://www.pirlcharger.com

Perhaps a better and smaller option than the power supply you've chosen.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

mrgommel

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:56 am

My only concern with the Pirl Charger is that I would have 2 choices for the setup:
1.) Keep my design as is and provide less current than necessary to the fans.
2.) Re-wire it so one of the USB ports is used for the fans, but then they would always be on as long as there is power being supplied to the Pirl Charger.

Correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:23 am

mrgommel wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:17 am
I was actually thinking closer to 4A to account for the 4 fans and the pi, and my buddy who is a master electrician said to always find a power supply by adding all of the amps together, then add 25% (hence why I'm looking at 4A). I agree that 3A should put me really close to the max for everything there.
Must be quite giant fans then.....
Large enough to lift your device clear off the table. :-) So why so many and such power hungry fans, a single 1Watt (200mA @ 5V) fan should be enough to generate the amount of airflow you would need.
4A is ridiculous. Worst case use of an RPI is 2.4A, with all four cores, plus GPU running at 100%, and also powering several power hungry USB devices, and a HAT board. Normal use is more like less than 2A.
It’s good to have some reserves, but not twice as much.

mrgommel

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:17 am

So, aside from the PSU sizing, are there any other areas of "concern"? Anyone know about the controller mappings and whether the original controller uses the same mapping as the USB alternative to the original controller?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Well, the USB and classic interfaces have really nothing in common, the classic NES and SNES controllers used a shift register to serially clock in the button data.
Instead USB uses so called “end points”, a different one for for each function, memory device, IO device, sound device, serial device etc. and a dedicated micro controller handled this. For joysticks and keyboards and such the endpoint logic type is “human interface buttons”,and the driver in the computer (PC, Mac, RPI etc) then translate the data so the device appears to be a “classic keyboard joystick or. Joypad etc).
I don’t think. You have to worry about mapping, and in fact most emulators handle keyassignment remapping.

rpiMike

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Have you considered the NESPi case ?

https://thepihut.com/products/retroflag-nespi-case-plus

mrgommel

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 pm

@rpiMike - I did look at them initially; however, it does not allow for a user to connect the original controllers, allows for a single fan integration, and no LED power indicator.. to name a few things that come to memory.

@mahjongg - The reason for the inquiry about the game controller button mappings was so the user wouldn't have to re-map the keys each time the pi is powered back on, or chooses to use a different controller based on the game selected. I'm referring to the RetroArch configs found here:
(Globally): /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
(System-specific): /opt/retropie/configs/SYSTEMNAME/retroarch.cfg
(ROM-specific): /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/SYSTEMNAME/ROMNAME.cfg

This website gives a pretty good outline for how the remapping config can work: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... igurations

mrgommel

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:37 pm

So, I thought some more about it and somehow COMPLETELY spaced the fact that the NES had 4-player games (was only thinking of the original design of the NES). So, based on this, I decided to re-work my design and scrape some of the other stuff I had put in my original design; while adding a few new items. The things I got rid of were the switches that indiciated whether you were using a lightgun, USB controller, or NES controller (at least the part that was going to re-configure the controller mappings) since you can pre-map the controllers based on what I found here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... oller-type. While this references the Playstation there is a section called "MultiTap" which was designed for this purpose.
Other useful/honorable mentions where I found interesting information (if anyone is curious): Finally, the other parts I added are a USB hub and 4 blue LEDs. The LEDs will light up depending on which game is being "previewed" in EmulationStation and light up the correct LED for P1 if it's a 1-Player game, P1 and P2 LEDs if it's a 2-player game, and all 4 if it's a 4-player game. I added in some diodes as well that should help make this possible based on the wiring I have shown in my new design.

Of course, I'm always open to suggestions on edits based on what other people know and help guide me in the right direction as needed (especially since this will be a first attempt for me to do something like this). Thanks everyone so far who has helped provide feedback on my original design!

caryste

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 am

Wow looks great. I'm curious how you'll be able to fit it in the original case though.
Carpe diem, carpe noscem, carpe vitae!

mrgommel

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm

That's where all of my years playing Tetris come into play! ;)

Imperf3kt

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm

mrgommel wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm
That's where all of my years playing Tetris come into play! ;)
But Tetris didn't require a soldering iron :/

I wish you luck :D
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

mrgommel

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm
But Tetris didn't require a soldering iron :/

I wish you luck :D
Maybe in YOUR version of Tetris it didn't! :lol:

Thanks for the well wishes! It'll actually be my first REAL project with Raspberry Pi. I did a BASIC setup for my brother where it was a simple raspberry pi case, Raspberry Pi 2 B+, and a couple of USB controllers... nothing close to this scale!

Return to “Gaming”