Ayberk

Most stable arcade games emulator

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:54 am

Hi all,

I have a Raspberry Pie 3 running Raspbian Stretch with desktop and trying to use it as a 24/7 online download box / media center. (although couldn't find any stably running GUI download manager)

Here is the the thing, besides above-mentioned functionally in parallel with downloads i want to play some classic arcade games like i do in other systems with MAME. In addition to that Sega or some other consoles would be nice bonuses.

I have tried Retroarch, even though once the application could run (after multiple build attempts with various configuration flags), it was super slow to do anything. Neither the navigation worked nor could launch any games.

I just want to ask what are your recommended emulators and is it possible to run simultaneous download tasks in background?

Thank you and have a great day.

Ger_Pa

Re: Most stable arcade games emulator

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Trying to run retroarch while running raspbian desktop is only going to result in very poor results. Just dual boot Raspbian and Lakka.

Lakka is a bit faster than retropie and recalbox, since it doesn't use emulationstation and then loads retroarch... Lakka is plain retroarch for linux distros and PI.
In fact if you go to retroarch site and look for a download for the PI, they will tell you to get lakka. The only thing you will lose is the dreamcast emulator, since Retroarch and Lakka only support Dreamcast emulation on x64 OS and lakka for the PI is 32

Return to “Gaming”