davedude0

Re: Minecraft

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

can i ask how much ram minecraft classic needs?
I know that for the current pi minecraft is a dream, but ill settle for a clone. Or any sandbox game,blocky or not ;)

jimmis98

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:24 am

gadgetoid wrote:Alas, the forums need more edit button!

A few hundred chunks later and I managed to connect... it spawned me in the middle of the ocean which was puzzling, but I swam to the shore and grabbed a screenie along with my SSH session with the running MC Server.

Note the 1-3 seconds between chunk generations. My Pi is overclocked to 900Mhz.

In-game, it isn't so bad. I'd probably have to play for a few hours to get a feel for the performance though.

If I am not mistaken, the quoted post from the first page is showing a minecraft client and server running at the same time, so if what is claimed there is true, then gadgetoid has achieved running minecraft from a Pi. If so, how????

tbar

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:55 am

jimmis98 wrote:If I am not mistaken, the quoted post from the first page is showing a minecraft client and server running at the same time, so if what is claimed there is true, then gadgetoid has achieved running minecraft from a Pi. If so, how????
You are reading it wrong. He has the Minecraft Client running in one Window on his laptop and is connected to his Raspberry Pi through SSH in another Window. He is not running the Client on the RPi.

Crippen69

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Not sure if anyone has considered it, but there is a version of Minecraft Classic on the Nintendo DS called DSCraft.

As the DS is Arm based, would this be a more viable option to look into porting?

Pat

ghans

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:39 pm

It has to be
1) open-source
2) (most importantly) support Open GL ES (ES !)

(IMHO ) Then we may have a further look into it.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

therulerofchina

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

guys if you want to start a minecraft server on your Pi I would give these pieces of guidance: add more swap (512MB is probably best), overclock your Pi to make it run smoothly, and start it with 512MB of ram. Preparing spawn area can still take half an hour though.
as for starting the client, i would do the same as before, but limit the client to 512MB of ram/swap.

homerguy

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Why not use the C++ alternatives?

www.mineserver.be

or

http://www.mc-server.org/

Both have been written in C++, runs fine on my pi. Chunks do spike the pi, but its still highly playable.

ghans

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:47 pm

That was posted 3 posts before ...
We want to see a Minecraft client ! Come on guys , port it for free !
Reverse-engineer all the binaries !

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

zproc

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm gonna try running a mini minecraft server with a tiny world (tiny 'height') with 512mb of swap and maybe bukkit, maybe hosting the world on a flashdrive, just out of curiosity.

But I wanted to say, there's this Minetest, Minecraft-like/clone in devel in C++ that's available in Ubuntu repos, if anybody wants to take a look at it... :

http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Minetest_Wiki

cave

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Are there new tests with MC-Server or Mineserver Running on RPi?

especially with the dynamic Turbo Mode enabled?

“High” “950MHz ARM, 450MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt”
“Turbo” “1000MHz ARM, 500MHz core, 500MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt”

is it now compiling without problems?
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

zproc

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I couldn't compile neither of the two C/C++ servers... maybe I'm gonna give it another try.

dzponce14

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I ran minecraft_server.jar with no GUI on my RPi and I was recieving block errors and respawn glitches very *extremely :evil: * frequently, adding to the case, it was pretty hot on the CPU as well.

I'd recommend NOT running a minecraft server on the RPi, Just do what I did, find an old desktop/laptop (Compaq Armada E500, 512 MB of RAM, running SliTaz), install java, and leave it in a WELL ventilated area. :mrgreen:

ghans

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 am

And why would it be equally bad while using a thrird-party C Server ?

ghans

Return to “Gaming”