shedtronic

Help can't use retro pie (ROM issue)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi,

We have created the following retro pi arcade machine with the ultra cabs joysticks and buttons as illustrated. Works pretty well and even managed to get coop play running on a couple of ROMs which was great. But then the educational institution we work with said that ROMs couldn't be used legally due to licensing issues.

Obviously we could go down the legal ROM route but who wants to play Tic Tac Toe when you could be playing Gauntlet or other arcade classics.
So my question is this, if we can't use roms, what is the best way to get students to make games for the Pi so that we can either:

Load our own games into Retro Pie? Hard I imagine as we would literally need to write our own roms????

Use Pygame to make games and then try and assign the UltraCabs Joysticks and buttons to work within Pygame

Install Android on the Pi and build from Unity 3D and somehow get the Ultracabs Joysticks working within Android, er . . . help?

Or is there another way?

Very sad not to be able to use Retro Pie as we spent so long setting the whole thing up but the problem might present an interesting challenge for students involved. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

The Traveler

Re: Help can't use retro pie (ROM issue)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 am

Use Pygame to make games and then try and assign the UltraCabs Joysticks and buttons to work within Pygame
I'd call this the most simple and direct way to achieve your goals.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

shedtronic

Re: Help can't use retro pie (ROM issue)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks I will try that approach. I thought that might be the easiest way but it depends how controllable the Ultracabs Joysticks are through Pygame.

Return to “Gaming”