handsomegenius

Playing Badass Acorn Archimedes Games on Risc OS

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:49 am

Ok, so I think just about every retro gaming nut out there has figured out by now that the Pi is a brilliant platform for emulating classic 8 and 16-bit consoles.

What's perhaps not so well appreciated is that there's a whole library of games from the exact same era that were written to run natively on an ARM device.

Because, before the ARM found its way into just about every smartphone, tablet, digital camera, vending .. not to mention yours and my favourite small board computer.. it was the CPU for the Acorn Archimedes, which for a short while was the most powerful desktop computer around, and this attracted a fair bit of games development.

And by installing Risc OS, downloading a few free utilities and tweaking a few things, it's not all that hard to get these games running on the Pi.

This is a pretty beginner-friendly project, it's a good little tour of a somewhat forgotten but hugely influential branch of computing history, and it's a nice gentle introduction to Risc OS, which is a great little operating system and well worth a look.

Plus a lot of the games are still a lot of fun :)

To help make this easier for people, I've put together a bit of a guide to getting this running.

Check it out here

Return to “Gaming”