Kingeer80

new user needing advice

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

so I have long been eager to get into the pi scene and figuring things out. I was curious if I get a pi3 if I change out sd cards can I use 1 system for multiple emulators? I wanted to set up an nes SNES gameboy genesis and ps1 ps2 games. I am only assuming I need multiple sd cards if not let me know. also my goal was to get bluetooth controllers that I can use depending on the game/system I am trying to play. and finally the major game I have been missing is the original warcraft and warcraft 2 games with a wireless keyboard and mouse. any advice tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. before I jump into this I was first going to practice with a pi zero w to make a plex/ kodi system

B.Goode

Re: new user needing advice

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
if I change out sd cards can I use 1 system for multiple emulators?

Yes. That is the simplest, most understandable, and least error-prone way to allow your RPi to have multiple uses.

Kingeer80

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:00 pm

cool good to know. from what I have read unless I am missing something ps2 is out of the question unless I missed something for the pi 3 b+ maybe. still unsure if I can make it run warcraft 2 or 1. I found inexpensive SNES and NES controllers the best price on genesis though is 50 which seems steep. no luck on a playstation controller yet that's bluetooth unless I can get away with using ps3 controllers. trying to get the retro feel and look lol.

Ger_Pa

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Kingeer80 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm
so I have long been eager to get into the pi scene and figuring things out. I was curious if I get a pi3 if I change out sd cards can I use 1 system for multiple emulators? I wanted to set up an nes SNES gameboy genesis and ps1 ps2 games. I am only assuming I need multiple sd cards if not let me know. also my goal was to get bluetooth controllers that I can use depending on the game/system I am trying to play. and finally the major game I have been missing is the original warcraft and warcraft 2 games with a wireless keyboard and mouse. any advice tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. before I jump into this I was first going to practice with a pi zero w to make a plex/ kodi system

Systems:

PS2 : Forget about it (for now), the PI3 and even the Plus are too underpowred
Gamecubue: I guess the PI3 and B Plus could run some games BUT the emulator is only avaible for 64 bits OS. So again forget it(for now)
What you can emulate are console up to the fifth gen (PS1, N64, Saturn).

Warcraft:
You can run both using DosBox. But there is a catch, the version you can get with RetroPie, Lakka, Recalbox or the one in the raspbian repository. Is not only outdated, but lacks the dynamic recompiler and the opengl output. Which are needed if you want to play games at their real speed.
So you need to build a svn version of dosbox, set it to use dynamic recompiler and the output to opengl, plus if you are using a PI 3B overclock it to 1400 mhz.
About the wireless mouse and keyboard. I would recomend a Logitech MK330 it works great and it is a combo. Plus is quite cheap, you get a keyboard and a mouse for about 50 euros.

Gamepads
Avoid, cheap gamepads, not only they may not work as expected but most of the time, they have poor analogs that are very loose and very crappy DPADs. In your case i think the best option is the SF30 Pro, not the cheapest neither the most expensive.
Slightly bigger than a Snes gamepad, it has the same layout plust 2 analogs and L1.L2,L3,R1,R2,R3

Return to “Gaming”