Pi newbie

Overclock

Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 pm

I have tried to overclock my pi 3 b+ to better run certain emulators. The highest arm freq i can run stable for more than a few seconds is 1535. I dont get a real noticeable benefit from the overclock i was wondering is this normal or am i going wrong somewhere. Overclock settings are as follows
arm_freq=1535
gpu_freq=510
core_freq=510
sdram_freq=510
over_voltage=8
sdram_over_voltage=3
v3d_freq=550

Any suggestions?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Overclock

Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Overclocking was (sometimes) possible because the chips were not clocked to their maximum, due to production variations, if you were lucky, and had a sample with some headroom left you could get away with overclocking it.

But since the production technology of raspberry PI SoC's has improved, and consequently their default clock speed could be increased, but as a consequence there is now barely any more room for overclocking them left, in essence they are all already overclocked to the max, and the chance you get an outlier that is capable of a higher clock speed has almost vanished.

its only when a very new IC production process is adapted that new overclocking opportunities will arise, perhaps a future PI will use such a technology.

Return to “Gaming”