XenoBaby

Are there any RPi game engines that use BASIC?

Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 am

So, I have programmed alot on Texas Instruments graphing calculators and Casio's FX9750GII. Both of them use a programming language that is based off of BASIC. I am very familiar with said coding language. I have seen a game engine for Windows called Blitz3D, which I doubt will get a port to RPi's. Btw, I have a RPi 3 B+. Does anyone know of a game engine that supports the RPi3 B+ that uses a coding language similar to BASIC?

rpiMike

Re: Are there any RPi game engines that use BASIC?

Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 am

Have you looked at Richard Russell's BBC Basic viewtopic.php?f=34&t=211790

RichardRussell

Re: Are there any RPi game engines that use BASIC?

Sat May 19, 2018 9:39 am

rpiMike wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 am
Have you looked at Richard Russell's BBC Basic
Just to expand on this, the Raspbian edition of BBC BASIC leverages SDL 2.0 (the Simple Directmedia Layer) which was originally designed as a 2D games engine but has now evolved to become a general-purpose OS abstraction layer. SDL is what Steam is based on. BBC BASIC provides full access to SDL's 2D graphics capabilities through the SYS statement, and also access to OpenGL 3D graphics via a supplied library.

As an example of what can be achieved using BBC BASIC on a Raspberry Pi here is a video of David Williams' Forces of Darkness game. This game (running on Windows) won first prize in a game programming competition last year; since then another BBC BASIC game - Blue TIGAR - has won another competition!

Return to “Gaming”