Have you had a decent server and how many players?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 am

No
11%
1 Player
44%
2 Player
11%
3 Player
22%
4 Player
No votes
5 Player
No votes
6+ Player
11%

Total votes: 9
noscope900

Minecraft Server 512mb [RESULTS ONLY PLEASE]

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 am

Hello,

Im looking at getting a raspberry pi to run a small MC server for 2-4 people. There has been a lot of talk about doing it with the new set of ram in the Pi but nothing about the ACTUAL results of doing so. Please post results only. Also if anyones had any luck with bukkit on the new chip please reply.

Re: Minecraft Server 512mb [RESULTS ONLY PLEASE]

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I know your after results not theory but someone has already run the vanilla software on the 256mb pi with 2 players and no mobs, chunk caching set way lower than normal (clients even with render set to far where only recieving chunks from the pi at tiny render). If I recall although RAM was close to full it wasn't 100% used but the CPU was constantly 100% usage and there was still some lag.

I can't remember what its called but someone started a project a while back (not for the pi) which was an open source minecraft compatible server software written in C++ with the intent of using less resources. Compiled to the pi I reckon it might work well but most of the time its more time efficient to host a 3 player server or something for home usage on your existing machine thats already running the client.

Bukkit has extra CPU and RAM overheads from vanilla, it also has additional overhead with the plugins. Protections stones and LWC also require mySQL to be running with even more CPU and RAM usage (huge amounts in fact). Bukkit on the pi is basically not feasible.

ElectroPulse

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I, too, have been wondering this...
6677 wrote:I can't remember what its called but someone started a project a while back (not for the pi) which was an open source minecraft compatible server software written in C++ with the intent of using less resources. Compiled to the pi I reckon it might work well but most of the time its more time efficient to host a 3 player server or something for home usage on your existing machine thats already running the client.
Based on what I've been reading about it, I believe that IS what they were running when they got 2 players on there. I'm pretty sure a RPi isn't capable of running the standard server version.

One question I've got: How well would a 512mb version Raspberry Pi run a Minecraft server if chunks were pre-generated? I used MCEdit to pre-generate a 1024x1024 chunk map (took about 24 hours, and is about 6gb) for this very reason... Haven't gotten around to actually trying it on my 256mb version RPi, though. It sounds like a lot of the issue (I may be wrong, though) is that the RPi's processor is pegged whenever it is generating chunks. If it were pre-generated, I'd imagine this would reduce some lag.

noscope900

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Please I said post results only. Not your discussions. That debates happening http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 30#p202330

And I know about the c++ versions. Please if your going to reply make sure you have tried the server on th 512mb Pi, preferably with results with turbo cpu mode, with official client and with bukkit. If not then please head to the discussion linked above.

noscope900

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:12 pm

moderator removed paypal URL

I started a project so I can get a Pi and some peripherals and start a server on it. Im pretty confident it will work. Im also pledging that if i get funding I will give out a program, or .zip of what I used along with instructions. I feel since no one has tried with the revised model and overclock I'd like to give it a go!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:53 pm

We gave you results.

The pi in question was overclocked and did not run out of RAM before running out of CPU.

noscope900

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm

You told me about a 256mb model

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:11 pm

So, the 512mb model isnt any faster CPU wise. I already said the CPU ran out of steam before the RAM was filled up

raspberry noob

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 pm

hello everyone i'm sorry but i'm really new to this but i am desperate to get a minecraft server running but could someone explain (in detail in a noob friendly way) how to make a server because i have browsed the internet with no luck please help
thanks in advance : )

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Jesus Christ.
How many times does it have to be said. MC servers will not run on the pi.

If your running it on a regular PC then wrong forum. The nice raft wiki has a very detailed guide though, if you don't understand that one then no offense but you probably lack the knowledge to do so.
Moderator; I get your frustration about this, but please moderate your language!

ElectroPulse

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 am

6677 wrote:Jesus Christ.
How many times does it have to be said. MC servers will run on the pi.
^^Corrected (they just don't run very well). People are just wanting to know the difference of how well it runs on the 512mb, vs. the 256mb version.

malakai

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 am

It's really more an issue with OpenGL which the Pi does not have and it tops out with the processor so memory was never an issue.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 am

malakai wrote:It's really more an issue with OpenGL which the Pi does not have and it tops out with the processor so memory was never an issue.
The server doesnt use openGL.

But even so, the server hit CPU limits far earlier than RAM.

noscope900

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:12 am

Right, I finally got my Pi. Im working on releasing a public server. I have tried full version mc, which fills cpu up constantly (overclocked to 950mhz) and there is not much ram taken up. Even better, if you can get a classic version running it is fast booting, and takes up little ram. I am having an issue with something with the external url, im having the same problem on all my computers but I think you could run at an extreme push 5-8 players on it.

ghans

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 am

Why aren't you using third-party servers ? They should run much better .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

noscope900

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:13 am

Ok. Well I was testing the waters.

I couldn't get open classic to run. It would start, and ping the minecraft classic server list and appear. But I couldn't connect. And on the second boot on the server, where it didnt have to create a map it crashed completely. (Which is completely weird but I have ways around that).

For Arc, I can't get the python script to run.

penguin1024

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 pm

A Minecraft server can run on Raspberry Pi! I have tried CraftBukkit 1.4.6 beta and it works really great for 1 person, but the mobs don't seem to mind if you are nearby. :mrgreen:
I have a Raspberry Pi model B with 512MB of RAM running Arch Linux, with Oracle Java SE Embedded. Overlocking is set to high, but it will also run on medium.
I have only tried with 1 user connected, there's a little lag but it's really nice for such a tiny device.
The Vanilla server is more lagging when mining blocks i think.
You can get Java here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html

and CraftBukkit here:
http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/list/beta/

Have fun! ;)

felix3008

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

I managed to run the C++ 3rd party server fluently with 6 players online.
Here are some instructions how i got it to work:

You will need to compile it for ARMv6.
First of all you need subversion to download the sources of MCServer:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install subversion
Then make a new directory and cd into it:

mkdir MCServer
cd MCServer
Then download the source:

svn checkout https://mc-server.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ .
cd into trunk where the sources are:

cd trunk
And compile it:

make release=1
(Note: This process can take up to 1.5 hours)

After it has finished the binary is at /home/<USERNAME>/MCServer/trunk/MCServer

You can copy it to anywhere else or run it out of that dir.

cd MCServer
./MCServer
(If it says Permission denied do "chmod +x MCServer")

It runs at 18 TPS (20 TPS is full speed) with 30 slots, 6 players online, mobs enabled on 448/64 split and no overclocking. Before it will run it needs about 15 min. to generate the world.

Further information in configuring and using the server on:
http://www.mc-server.org/wiki/

Good Luck, Felix3008

penguin1024

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi there again!
I have a Raspberry Pi B 512MB overclocked at 1GHz. I'm using the latest Craftbukkit build and Java SE 8 Embedded from Oracle. Java 8 is a developer preview - but it's optimised for Raspberry Pi! The server ran with 3 people on it in creative mode for 6 hours without any crash. On survival, it lags only when it is generating new areas. The mobs are working nicely, but they can freeze sometimes.
Survival with 3 people should work.

penguin1024

TumnusTheFawn

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey, I haven't read all the posts here but I run a 256mb minecraft server with bukkit and nospawnchunks plus a web front end for the server and between 4-5 players it runs fine until someone starts to go on a adventure and it has to render chunks as of today I'm thinking about pre-loading a load of chunks via Mc edit or something like that pm me for more info or check my thread I would link but on phone

nick258

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I got a server up and running for the first time yesterday, and so far it seems to be of tolerable quality. There is no lag in terms of frame rate, but mobs are quite slow and glitchy, and sometimes the world just lags out and doesn't render anything for a minute. I have only been able to get onto the server while connected to the same network, but I think that might just be a port forwarding issue. I have not had more than one player on the server, but it does work. World edit works fine too.

nick258

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 pm

felix3008 wrote: And compile it:

make release=1
(Note: This process can take up to 1.5 hours)
I tried this, but after about 10 minutes it gave me 1 error saying there was a segmentation fault in a member function. Any Ideas?

skyrunner65

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

6677 wrote:We gave you results.

The pi in question was overclocked and did not run out of RAM before running out of CPU.
Well,couldn't 2 raspberry pis work together,in some way?
Tell me if you know how.
Possibly,4-5 pis could make a decent public server.
~Skyrunner65

TumnusTheFawn

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 pm

it is possible to run two or more pis together running tasks i read up about it here http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspb ... ampton.htm

ghans

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Do you know any MC server which can scale over several nodes ?
I don't think so.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Gaming”