Cont3mplation

Minecraft Pi edition crashing

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Just received a raspberry pi zero today along with adaptors and have been very pleased with it, however I noticed while using it and testing things that the Minecraft pi edition had a couple issues which I haven't found anywhere else. I was using the newest version of raspbian from the site (as of 15/02/18) which I'd installed and used on an SD card on a model b+ with no problems, so I took it and put it in the zero. Everything worked normally till I opened Minecraft, when it created a world, loaded it but then froze entirely. Couldn't get it to unfreeze so pulled the power. From then on it would open the game and crash a few seconds after loading a world. I reinstalled a new version of raspbian and have tried an older one too but same issue both times. It had worked fine on my back+ so I'm confused. Is this an issue with my pi zero or is something just up?

Cont3mplation

Re: Minecraft Pi edition crashing

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Ah okay, so found an error when running it through the console:

XIO: fatal IO error 105 (No buffer space available) on X server ":0.0" after 6526 requests (6526 known processed) with 1 events remaining.

I'm somewhat new to the raspberry pi scene overall and haven't been able to find anything on this error, any ideas?

jdonald

Re: Minecraft Pi edition crashing

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Sorry that nobody has a certain answer for this. The fact that it runs on the B+ without issues but fails on the Zero helps to rule out that you don't have any gross software misconfiguration.

Based on what you've said a best guess is that it's due to less RAM (512 MB) on the Zero vs the B+ (1 GB). The error message indicates that X ran out of buffer space so you could run sudo raspi-config and try increasing the CPU memory while keeping the amount of GPU memory sufficient.

You might also try switching to the full OpenGL driver (also via raspi-config). Raspbian Stretch has a shim such that both the legacy and full OpenGL driver work with Minecraft Pi. I don't know which one uses more CPU or GPU memory, but it gives you some options.

Return to “Gaming”