makermaker

I just made the easiest way to make a raspberry pi into a handheld retro game console

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 am

I have seen lots of video to show how to make a raspberry pi into a retro game console. That's really awesome. I really want to have my own.

But most of them, the case is 3d printed, and the way to make that is too hard for the starter or normal user, so we made the Mido joy, plastic injection molded, two size of HD Screen with HDMI Port, USB Port Game pad, with 8000mAh big battery to run raspberry pi and the monitor. :D :D

Besides, you could put any version of raspberry pi in the back case, because the back case could changed by yourself to suit your needs.

My uncles factory made lots of raspberry pi case since 2013. most of that is in that is just a case. I just want to build this "super case" to make raspberry could be real portable in this way. Also, you could connect the keyboard and mouse to make the Mido Joy as a Mini PC.

if you also want a super retro handheld gaming case like me, please support us on Kickstarter. http://kck.st/2Hdx4zw

Imperf3kt

Re: I just made the easiest way to make a raspberry pi into a handheld retro game console

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 am

How well does it keep a Pi cool?
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

makermaker

Re: I just made the easiest way to make a raspberry pi into a handheld retro game console

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 am

the back cover could be changed, you could removed some piece of side plate to let the fresh air in, also, we left 2cm height for the raspberry pi board, so, i just think there's enough room if you want adding fans. Besides, if you want use GPIO or the fan is too much big, just cut a few of the cover should be working. and as I test, the temperature is not very high as I run LAKKA and RetroPie.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am

why do you show an old pi - what about Pi3
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

makermaker

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am
why do you show an old pi - what about Pi3
As long as the size less 4.45 in *3 in, It could all fit in there.

Imperf3kt

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am

Yes, but fitting is only half the problem with a Pi3. They're a lot more power hungry than other Pis and they generate a lot more heat.

From your description, adding cooling should be relatively trivial, but it doesn't seem to be a design consideration from factory.
Seems like a nice enough product for its purpose.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

makermaker

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Yes, but fitting is only half the problem with a Pi3. They're a lot more power hungry than other Pis and they generate a lot more heat.

From your description, adding cooling should be relatively trivial, but it doesn't seem to be a design consideration from factory.
Thanks, I hope we could get enough support to make it came true, cuz all I see the handheld raspberry pi retro game console project depend on the GameBoy design, use the small screen, small battery, only for show off. So I hope I can make this to help everyone get their own handheld game console.

makermaker

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am

Imperf3kt wrote:

Forgot to say, we redesign the power bank PCBA, and the 8000mAh battery could supply 5V/2.1A to RPi, I guess that's enough, Also, the RPi inside do not take any hard-drive or power hunger device, only a USB gamepad, so it should not cost that much power.

I used to build a thing based on the mag pi, I remember is the issue 55th, the RPi 3 in that machine only use a 2500mAh battery, it could work one and a half hours I remember. (that issue told us to use RPi Zero, but I think zero is a little slow.)

PiGraham

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am

The eight sided shape (or ten sided solid if you prefer) doesn't look very ergonomic. It looks like it needs some curves and grippy materials.

makermaker

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

PiGraham wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am
The eight sided shape (or ten sided solid if you prefer) doesn't look very ergonomic. It looks like it needs some curves and grippy materials.
I used to want to make a rounded rectangle, but our designer said that too much like Nintendo Switch, so we make the design like this :(

PiGraham

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am

Looking at the Kickstarter video at 1:05 the way it is being held to use the joypad looks very awkward. It just doesn't look nice to hold.

makermaker

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

PiGraham wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am
Looking at the Kickstarter video at 1:05 the way it is being held to use the joypad looks very awkward. It just doesn't look nice to hold.
the prototype button is the mechanical button, and the final product button is the membrane key, which is the normal joypad button design.

SgtJimmyRustles

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

So what's the retail price planned to be?
Stop on by the (unofficial) Raspberry Pi Discord!
http://raspberrypie.club

Also, interested in retrogaming on your pi? Stop by /r/sbcgaming
www.reddit.com/r/sbcgaming

makermaker

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 am

the estimate retail price would be more than 100 USD if we succeed, for now on Kickstarter, the material cost is only half of that.

SgtJimmyRustles

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm

It looks pretty good, I'll be honest. I wish you luck man!
Stop on by the (unofficial) Raspberry Pi Discord!
http://raspberrypie.club

Also, interested in retrogaming on your pi? Stop by /r/sbcgaming
www.reddit.com/r/sbcgaming

Return to “Gaming”