Bilding up my very first Raspberry Pi 3 as an emulation station?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 am

Hey y'all :)

This is my very first actual try, to get myself a running Megaemulator (NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, GBA, maybe PSi) Raspberry Pi3 .

What do I want:
<=> Well, a Raspberry Pie with a large register of the games that enlightened my youth and all the ones I sadly were never able to play.
<=> would be real nice If I could (at times) use it as a mobile device. Like hooking it to my Android tablet (as a display), fed by my powerbar (as the power source) to play games outside, at grill parties at the river and so on. Maybe while commuting or when at work and there's nothing to do and I'm the lone night shiftworker.

What do I have / need to buy:
<=> 2 Buffalo Classco Controller ( ... sb+gamepad)
<=> Raspberry Pi 3B
<=> Raspberry Pi 3B Case (I like ... YPTJH6NN19)
<=> Heat Sinks?
<=> Power Cable
<=> MicroSD Card (how big should the be as the HD?)
<=> USB-MicroUSB Adapter
<=> Need a good source for ROMs
<=> USB Keyboard

Money ain't an issue, at least not that much
<=> If someone really tries to help me I will surely send some money around to my benefactors
<=>I just wanna play my old childhood games again, delve in long gone memories, cherish in Nostalgia... you surely know what I'm talking about.

I'm just completely new to things like this and haven't used forums for quite a longer time, like 10 years, so please go easy on me :)

I am more than open to any suggestion, question and what not

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Bilding up my very first Raspberry Pi 3 as an emulation station?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey there! So you're off to a good start.

I would recommend getting a fairly large MicroSD Card if you can. Maybe 16gb to 32gb if possible. Also, you'll want a heatsink for the pi 3, it does get a bit toasty depending on how hard you're pushing it.

Here's a thread of legal free roms you can use. ... n-retropie

You'll also want your OS Image, and there are many choices. Retropie is one of the most popular, but for starting out, I'd recommend recalbox. It gives you similar features, but it's more set up out of the box. (Retropie admittedly gives you more customization.)

I'd use Etcher to burn the Pi image.
Stop on by the (unofficial) Raspberry Pi Discord!

Also, interested in retrogaming on your pi? Stop by /r/sbcgaming

Return to “Gaming”