texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

New Pi with 512MB RAM - Minecraft now possible?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am

As title. One of the reasons why minecraft wouldn't be feasible on a Pi was the ram limitation.
Now that there is a new V2 Pi with 512MB RAM, maybe it is now a possibility?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

malakai

Re: New Pi with 512MB RAM - Minecraft now possible?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:40 am

Minimum Requirements:

CPU : Intel P4/NetBurst Architecture or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
RAM : 2GB
GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent
HDD : At least 90MB for Game Core and Sound Files
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or up is required to be able to run the game.

Going to take a bit more on a machine that is equivalent to an original xbox.

Possibly a portable version but don't know much about the game other than my kid will be grateful to anyone with the ability to port it to the pi.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

ghans

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am

xranby is doing work on LWJGL and you could look at C clones.
AFAIK Minecraft runs on the Pi , but as long its not packaged into the repos only
one person can prove it. Raspbian has no non-free repo anyway.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

xranby

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 am

texy wrote:As title. One of the reasons why minecraft wouldn't be feasible on a Pi was the ram limitation.
Now that there is a new V2 Pi with 512MB RAM, maybe it is now a possibility?

Texy
The main limitation for running Minecraft is that Minecraft is designed to use desktop OpenGL 2 provided by the LWJGL library that in turn uses the system installed libGL.so library.
You can start Minecraft up to the title screen using the ARM compiled LWJGL from the debian repositorys unfortunally this will result in that the game runs, slow, using software rendering provided by the Mesa libGL.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... p?p=189655 - Attempting to port Minecraft (Client!) to the Raspberry PI. with screenshot.

The first step to get Minecraft running is to first compile a OpenGL ES 2 variant of LWJGL that can run on the Pi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... p?p=190363

The second, half impossible, step to get Minecraft running is to change the Minecraft sourcecode to replace all OpenGL 2 specific calls to use something OpenGL ES 2 compatible. For this part you will need the Mojang Minecraft sourcecode that you unfortunately do not have, its closed source.
Instead... what you can do is to extend LWJGL further to provide OpenGL 2 "emulation" for all the OpenGL 2 specific calls so that you can run OpenGL 2 LWJGL code using a OpenGL ES 2 build of LWJGL.
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

ElectroPulse

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:56 pm

What about the server? I know that was possible before, but would take a really long time to 1. Generate the world, and 2. Start the server.

What was the bottleneck before? I'm thinking it was RAM...

raspberrypiguy1

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:52 am

I doubt that Minecraft will ever properly work. :( but, however, maybe the pocket edition is possible? I have seen it running smoothly on a lot less than a 700mhz, 512mb Pi! We might be able to get it if a stable version of Android comes out....

The Raspberry Pi Guy
:)
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

CrysisLTU

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:I doubt that Minecraft will ever properly work. :( but, however, maybe the pocket edition is possible? I have seen it running smoothly on a lot less than a 700mhz, 512mb Pi! We might be able to get it if a stable version of Android comes out....

The Raspberry Pi Guy
:)
Pocket Edition is for ARMv7, Pi is ARMv6. I bet the client version of MC won't run on the Pi but the server with 512MB should run better than before.

alfredzy

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Have you heard of minetest c55? It's a lot like minecraft but runs on much worse hardware. You can take a look? :)

sdd

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm

about getting the neccicary scource cod maby the minecraft coder pack? or wait till that undisclosed open scourcing date? it can't be long now the full game has come out (that is its out of beta) you can find the scource of this info on mincraft.net under "about"

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 pm

sdd wrote:about getting the neccicary scource cod maby the minecraft coder pack? or wait till that undisclosed open scourcing date? it can't be long now the full game has come out (that is its out of beta) you can find the scource of this info on mincraft.net under "about"
Minecraft coders pack is decompiling the original source. Then releasing anything made via this source is actually illegal.

The open sourcing date has been repeatedly said to be whenever the community stops buying minecraft (which will also be when we don't want it on the pi, most likely the pi equivelant whenever that is will already be able to run minecraft as computer tech will have advanced somewhat :mrgreen: )

sdd

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 pm

well didn't it say "when people stop buying the game OR after an undisclosed time from the full vershon comeing out"? I'm pretty sure thats what it said a few months ago... it may have changed due to the fact minecraft is really mojangs only succsesful product (that I know of)

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Nope, they never said that last time I checked. Either way I don't think open sourcing it would make a huge difference to whether it runs on the pi or not. I think java is the biggest limiting factor. The only other thing we could do is rewrite the LWJGL backend to run better on the pi which doesnt require minecraft itself to be altered.

robotmaker

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 pm

What about if you did something like this? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/709 ... -13102011/ here's the search. This is sent from an iPhone and I don't know how to do most of the links and such. Anyway, just a thought
I'm hungry. Pi anyone?

sdd

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 pm

well scinse we can't manually mess with the code is there a way we can make a java compiler? because an interpriter is just a compiler that runs with the program right? Please feel free to tell me why this is redicules

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm

sdd wrote:well scinse we can't manually mess with the code is there a way we can make a java compiler? because an interpriter is just a compiler that runs with the program right? Please feel free to tell me why this is redicules
You clearly have no idea what you are on about now.

Java compiles to bytecode which is then run by a virtual machine.

We could make a virtual machine for java optimised for the pi but it would likely need an altered version of the bytecode. We don't have the minecraft sourcecode so couldn't compile it to our new VM anyway.

Anyway, java is already fairly well optimised, you might get better performance from dalvik on the pi but the sourcecode issue applies.

Your chasing something thats not possible.

The only thing that will help IMO is a new LWJGL backend, if you want that, go write it.

Minecraft runs badly enough on full modern PC's let alone the significantly underpowered pi. The pi at 700Mhz is roughly equivelant to a modern PC running at 200-300MHz due to instruction set differences. Would you try running MC on a 300 MHz laptop?
Its GPU although powerful for an ARM chip pales in comparison to the old intel GMA integrated graphics in my 4 year old laptop, even then the chip in my laptop was discontinued shortly after I got it and is so awful it can only cope with 2 fps on MC 1.3 on tiny render (15 with optifine) and I can only achieve that by using an older version of LWJGL because the new version uses a version of OpenGL unsupported on my hardware.

noscope900

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Moderator removed paypal URL

I started a project so I can get a Pi and some peripherals and start a minecraft server on it. Im pretty confident it will work. Im also pledging that if i get funding I will give out a program, or .zip of what I used along with instructions. I feel since no one has tried with the revised model and overclock I'd like to give it a go!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:52 pm

That topic is about server, we're talking client. Also £25 plus an old phone charger and a keyboard is hardly worth a PayPal donation setup. Don't need a mouse as you can do it all on the command line

Valdiralita

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

What about writing a client for the rPI?
Or, if the source code of a client would exist, would it be possible to port it?

regards Valdiralita

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, in principle you would be able to port it, but in all probability the PI would still not be able to support it in a reasonable useable way, not even overclocked to the max and with 512MB.

The specs needed for a client are simply way too high for the PI's humble CPU.

Unless you are talking about a much simplified "mobile version", not written in java. Perhaps a port of an Android version, but don't count on it.

But the original java version for PC's, simply no way!

Valdiralita

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Im talking about a Client written in C#.
It needs about 500MB ram with view distance at 15.
Setting the view distance to 5 chunks (this is a 11x11 chunk square) needs about 90MB ram + (50MB vram).

ghans

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:51 am

Wouldn't be a C client better performance-wise ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 am

Writing a client in C#? That would be more like porting the entire game over to C#. Again, requires the original java source code.

jlongstreet

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:55 pm

It's not going to work, period, regardless of the memory.

Valdiralita

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm

6677 wrote:Writing a client in C#? That would be more like porting the entire game over to C#. Again, requires the original java source code.
Why should I need the original java source code? I wrote my own client in C# and all informations i used are from minecraftwiki and wiki.vg (everything is clean room).

muad_dib

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Valdiralita wrote:
6677 wrote:Writing a client in C#? That would be more like porting the entire game over to C#. Again, requires the original java source code.
Why should I need the original java source code? I wrote my own client in C# and all informations i used are from minecraftwiki and wiki.vg (everything is clean room).
so you basically want to recreate minecraft?

Return to “Gaming”