axlc

Use a controller to play Minecraft on RPi

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello,
I don't like the keyboard mappings for Minecraft (Q, S, D, W, etc) and would like to use an 8bitdo NES30 controller I have instead.
But I don't know how to do that. Searched on the net but couldn't find either.

This is what I have:
- Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian on it (up to date)
- 8bitdo NES 30 controller (firmware up to date)
- I am using minecraft-pi (I have also installed minecraft 1.11.2 )

The 8bitdo controller works fine (I have recalbox on another partition to test :).
I can pair it to raspbian using bluetoothctl.
But even when it is paired, I can't control minecraft and move with the controller.

Do I have to write a Python program matching each events of the controller to an action in Minecraft? Would work, but long...I would have expected this to already exist...
What's the solution?
Thanks

jdonald

Re: Use a controller to play Minecraft on RPi

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 am

joy2key is the common approach for mapping W, A, S, D.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install joy2key
Implementing mouse-look (for an analog stick on an 8bitdo NES30 PRO) as well as left- and right-click actions is possible, but likely more involved. I haven't heard of a good "joy2mouse" package on Linux. For a starting point here is an example of modding mouse input into Minecraft Pi.

axlc

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Hmm, I don't think joy2key will work. It asks which device it should map to, and my NES30 controller is connected by Bluetooth. I don't know what device to tell it...

jdonald

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 am

Sorry I missed that part. As I understand it to get a Bluetooth gamepad showing up under /dev/input/ like a wired controller, your first step would be to run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install bluez bluez-tools xboxdrv
Some of the tutorials you'll find online may be dated, and I don't have a Bluetooth gamepad to test with. This seems like the right direction though.

jerryrp

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 pm

QJoyPad helped me with my controller. You can easily map axis and everything through simple dialog. Worth a try. I have generic usb gamepad though (not bluetooth).

Return to “Gaming”