smudgey5000

Retropie vs. SNES Classic

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:56 am

This is a question for those who own both the SNES Classic and Pi 3 with Retropie. Which one is better at running the games? Which one has the better resolution? If possible could you post a screenshot or video comparison of the two? Pi 3 seems like a good value but if SNES classic looks better I would use that for my retro box because I know someone will hack it to allow you to add games. Still going to buy a Pi 3 but this is determining whether I use it for Retropie or as desktop.

darksavior

Re: Retropie vs. SNES Classic

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 am

There's enough videos of retropie to make your own decision. The pi will always be a better deal because retropie can play more than snes out of the box without hacking it. Lots more choices too. An snes game might have bugs? There are at least 4 snes emulators to choose from that vary in speed/accuracy. You can also overclock the superfx chip but I haven't tried it. The crt shader is much better and you can output to 1080p whereas snes classic does 720p. Oh, you want to add a ton of snes,gen, segacd, pce, gba, n64, ps1, arcade, etc to a usb stick? sure. I don't believe anyone's gotten around to adding external storage to the nes/snes classic.

bensimmo

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 am

You can do both on the Pi3, why settle for just one or the other.

Buy the SNES mini, it seems a good deal for a nice case, emulator, games, two top quality controllers and storage and psu.
A pi3 with all that is quite costly.

Buy the Pi3 also and run both desktop and RetroPie. And anything else.
You probably would need to look into using the snesmini controllers too.

Domarius

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:14 am

Apart from the cost is the actual end-user experience is much better with the SNES Mini - you're looking at a 5 second delay from power on to actual menu interface with the SNES Mini, vs 30 seconds with a Pi setup.

And the user interface is very user friendly and streamlined on the SNES Mini - browse the games visually, automatic save state when you exit the game, intuitive interface for choosing different save state slots for each game, etc.

And as mentioned already, the hardware is good - don't underestimate the value of a good control pad, and you get 2. Amazing value really. It's all ready to go. (And looks and feels like a real SNES to boot)

The SNES Mini is a worthwhile experience in its own right, don't let someone tell you a Pi setup is "just better", there are pros and cons.

bensimmo

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:28 pm

But not that ugly thing the USA has.

Domarius

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 am

Agreed. No idea what's up with that :D

Vanfanel

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 pm

The Pi runs the Snes Classic Mini emulator (the emulator that the Snes Classic Mini uses, because the Snes Mini is an ARM computer running an emulator) with no problems:
(Well, there's a small problem with the sram files, but it should be easy to fix)

https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1823

Return to “Gaming”