swordfish

Re: How to install/ build/ play Quake 3....

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:42 am

I have successfully compiled and run the code at https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3 on the Raspberry Pi 2 without a problem.

The thing is, the code base is about three years old. I did a fresh pull from the main ioquake3 source page at https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3 and built it from there. I tried it by updating the distribution from wheezy to jessie. It ran but much more slowly, so I used the https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3/b ... aspbian.sh script to build it. I also tried this using wheezy and compiling SDL2 which seems to be required for the newer source code.

I have not had success getting this to work. It chokes after loading the pk3 files when it tries to open a window.

Might it be possible to update the script so that we can use the newer code? I think it's about time to update the code with a fresh pull! I'm going to keep trying this but I only know enough to be dangerous.

Any input is welcome.

symbios25

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Great tutorial
i have installed OpenArena and i want to load automatically on boot each time i power on m raspberry do you know how to do this?
thanks

magic_man185

Mon May 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this looks like the most relevant way to post. I recently got a Raspberry Pi 2, and wanted to get Quake 3 running on it. I followed the tutorial hereviewtopic.php?f=78&t=18853, and the program starts ok, but when I exit quake, it does weird things. Some times it just gets stuck at a black screen, the last time it got stuck at the last credit screen. No matter what I do, what buttons I push, the Raspberry Pi is frozen. The green activity LED was flashing 8 times. I thought that might be because I had the RAM split set to 64, so I changed it to 256. The next time I ran it I was able to exit back to the command prompt ok, but the next time I started the game it just sat at a black screen. This time the activity light is not flashing, but the LAN led still is. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Angelalapoo

Sat May 23, 2015 9:53 am

Good day,
As a twelve year old, I find your tutorial easy to follow and helpful, being the reason to actually be able to install Quake. I may have some minor problems but that was my fault and none of your code. I had the urge to actually make an account just to say thank you and to keep up your good work, I've always wanted to install atleast one first person shooter game and I feel glad to stumble on your tutorial. I am really really REALLY happy to be successful, hehe :D :lol:

Okay, putting aside all my happiness, It took me 10 minutes staring at the terminal trying to solve the
'Also check that your Q3 executable is in
the correct place and that every file
in the baseq3 directory is present and readable.'
problem that shows up when I type in the last line of your code. I realize that I had to manually transfer the PAK files, but that problem was already discussed with another person so not much of a problem. ;) Sorry for giving such a long comment!
Okay, let's do this...

Angelalapoo

Wed May 27, 2015 10:51 am

magic_man185 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this looks like the most relevant way to post. I recently got a Raspberry Pi 2, and wanted to get Quake 3 running on it. I followed the tutorial hereviewtopic.php?f=78&t=18853, and the program starts ok, but when I exit quake, it does weird things. Some times it just gets stuck at a black screen, the last time it got stuck at the last credit screen. No matter what I do, what buttons I push, the Raspberry Pi is frozen. The green activity LED was flashing 8 times. I thought that might be because I had the RAM split set to 64, so I changed it to 256. The next time I ran it I was able to exit back to the command prompt ok, but the next time I started the game it just sat at a black screen. This time the activity light is not flashing, but the LAN led still is. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

The best thing you can do now is to uninstall and reinstall and make sure there are no interruptions while installing and you have done everything correctly. I also recently got my Raspberry Pi (Model B) around late May and this code worked just fine. If I'm not mistaken, usually it is shown in the terminal the problem causing this to happen. A common problem I saw while reading this thread is that you have to manually move zipped files to work properly. I hope this helps you, have a nice day! :D
Okay, let's do this...

Shade

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:37 pm

I have been trying to use this command
mv ./build/release-linux-arm/ ./
and it isn't doing anything, just telling me there is no such file or directory. I am in the release linux arm directory right now by using the cd command. Is there a way to manually do this or is it a problem with the code?

PiBoy825

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:00 am

Hey there.

When you do the command

Code: Select all

./build.sh
Is it supposed to spew out a few errors?

PiBoy
(I would really like a slice of pi right now)

raXlaaja

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:14 am

Hello. I installed yesterday to my Raspberry Pi 2 Quake 3 Arena using this tutorial: http://raspberrypihelp.net/tutorials/16 ... spberry-pi. I launched Quake, and everything seemed running fine. Then I realised in Single Player there is just Tier 1 playable.. And when I'm creating Skirmish, it is missing lot of maps. For example, in Capture the Flag there is only map Q3TOURNEY6_CTF. Plus in some Skirmish maps graphics are messed up. Any idea what is the issue here?

I'm using Raspbian; Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781.

And yes, I'm rather new with Raspberry and Linux.

AJB2K3

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Have you copy the files from a Q3 CD?
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

AJB2K3

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 pm

I have it installed but getting
user interface version 3 found 6 expected.
I copied my paks from my cd

What is this?
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

PiBoy825

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:03 pm

How do you get more maps? It gets a little boring with the same ones. :roll:

lorecast162

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Can i use my complete q3 paks? and eventually can team arena work on rpi 2? :?:

PiBoy825

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 pm

lorecast162 wrote:Can i use my complete q3 paks? and eventually can team arena work on rpi 2? :?:
Try it. If it works, could you put it on dropbox or something with a link? That would help a lot. :D

lorecast162

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 pm

ok, i will try when it arrives. i'll post the link later... i have it on my other pc...

lorecast162

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:41 pm

i have made a rar with the baseq3 folder in it (contains teamarena too!) in some time it'll be online
do you mind getting it from MEGA?

GTR2Fan

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

I compiled this recently on the overclocked Pi2B in my sig and prepared to sit back and wait for up to an hour for it to finish compiling. The 7 minutes it actually took was the shortest hour of my life! :lol:
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

lorecast162

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 pm

A lil'update!!! I tested just now the official pk3s w/ teamarena and it works just fine except the fact that teamarena isn't in the menu...

adih2001

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 am

I did this on my Raspberry Pi 2 and it worked great! But there is a problem... I tryed adding the full pak files to the quake 3 on the raspberry pi but it didnt work.. Game launches fine but when i am in a arena the gun in my hand is invisible and all the pickups are just 2d textures. I also tryed downloading full pak files from internet but same problem... I wish that i could play the full version of the game not just a demo. Please help.

raguel

Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Didn't work for me on RPi 2 (Raspbian version: March 2016). After executing "./ioquake3.arm" computer freezes. Works on RPi1 B/A+.

Everything seems to be working with Raspbian image from September 2015 (tested on RPi2 and RPi1 B/A).

Could someone confirm? Maybe mine RPi2 is damaged.

jmbrnt

Tue May 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Sorry to necro the thread.. I've been meaning to do this for a while..

Compiled on a RPI Zero:

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/quake3'

real 46m40.457s
user 45m15.370s
sys 0m52.780s

So it took less than 50m from git clone to playing..

Running along nicely at 35-50 fps on my RPI Zero. I have to say, the instructions in the page 1 post still work a treat.

Thanks!

cresfang

Latest build of ioquake3.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:11 am

Apparently there's one person named Preston Smith (github.com/OrN) that still working on RasPi build of ioquake.
So I forked his work and commited one change to the game AI according to latest update from official ioquake3 git, the rest is OrN's work.

I'll try this build later when I get home & report it here.

OrN's: https://github.com/OrN/ioq3.git
mine: https://github.com/CrescendoFang/ioq3.git
Last edited by cresfang on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raspberry Pi 3

cresfang

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:36 am

the build from my github is working, however it failed to register any mouse/kbd input.
the terminal only stated:

Keyboard unknown button '272' pressed.
Mouse unknown button '108' pressed.

Any help?

to install simply clone my git or OrN git and type:

sudo ./make-raspberrypi.sh
and copy the pak0 file to /ioq3/build/baseq3

and run using:

sudo ./ioq3/build/ioquake3.arm
Raspberry Pi 3

cresfang

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:10 am

oh, i forgot, you need to install libopenal-dev before compiling....
Raspberry Pi 3

Erli

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello, i know it is a very old post, but I want if is there a newest totorial for install quake 3 on raspberry pi 3. Thanks

PhillPi

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi. I have followed your instructions before and it worked a treat (thanks). This time I am installing on RPI3 Raspbian Pixels released on 23rd September 16 and I get an error:
UI_CC_MISSIONPACK code/game/bg_lib.c
LD build/release-linux-arm/ioq3ded.arm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvmcs_rpc_client
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:1657: recipe for target 'build/release-linux-arm/ioq3ded.arm' failed
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ioq3ded.arm] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/quake3'
Makefile:981: recipe for target 'targets' failed
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/quake3'
Makefile:975: recipe for target 'release' failed
make: *** [release] Error 2
pi@raspberrypi:~/quake3 $

I have tried this loads of times and even with other tutorials and I still get the same error.

Can you help me please?

Thanks
PhillPi

Return to “Gaming”