raspberrypiguy1

Re: How to install/ build/ play Quake 3....

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm

About the sound... I have never tried it as I don't really need it!

Try malakia's command... Should work! Thanks malakia for embedding my video. I appreciate it!

The Raspberry Pi Guy
;)
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

Hubertrum

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Yes. the sudo modprobe works fine.

fury

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am

My audio is really quiet and noisy. I can hardly hear it when I hook up, whether to my monitor speakers (which aren't great, but should at least make sound) or to a set of Etymotic in-ear headphones.

I tried the sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835 but it didn't change anything. While Quake 3 is running, the sound has a buzz and is really quiet.

Also, when I try to quit the game, it locks up at the ioquake3 contributors screen or the console, whichever place I used to quit the game. It used to lock up here only a second or two, but now it's just plain locked up. I have to unplug and replug.

And now here I am, locked up at "Loading Game Media". I'm not even overclocked. What's up with that? O_o

SiriusHardware

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:00 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:Obtain the source code with this little command:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3.git
P.S: If any of you are successful, PLEASE tell me! ;)
Hi Raspberrypiguy,

Decided to try this as a good stability test for my Raspbian-Turbo-ised Pi, but only got as far as the line above, whereupon I was asked for a username and password. As I didn't have one I had to abort.

I take it it is necessary to be a signed-up member of Github for this to work? If so, it would be helpful to add this to the beginning of the procedure (ie, "Before proceeding, you need to be a member of Github").

vonProteus

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:18 am

Hi
i have problem when i launch q3 everything is ok in menu
but when i start to play after 10-30 seconds my rpi reboot
any ideas?

i have good power supply (2.1A)

SiriusHardware

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am

vonProteus wrote:Hi
any ideas?

Are you running the Pi in turbo mode? Try holding down the shift-key while the Pi is booting (until you see the message where it says it has checked the state of the shift key). This will disable the overclocking. Now see if Quake III will run for longer. Of course it will also run more slowly, but the aim is to find out whether the overclocking is what causes the problem.

raspberrypiguy1

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Raspberrypiguy,

Decided to try this as a good stability test for my Raspbian-Turbo-ised Pi, but only got as far as the line above, whereupon I was asked for a username and password. As I didn't have one I had to abort.

I take it it is necessary to be a signed-up member of Github for this to work? If so, it would be helpful to add this to the beginning of the procedure (ie, "Before proceeding, you need to be a member of Github").

Thanks for telling me! I am really sorry about this. For one I am NOT a GitHub member. Second one I did the command it excepted it without question. Maybe this is the root password? Are you a root user? Are you in the root user group?

Sorry and maybe could you show us a screen shot?

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

SiriusHardware

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:38 pm

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:
Hi Raspberrypiguy,

Thanks for telling me! I am really sorry about this. Sorry and maybe could you show us a screen shot?

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Hi, thanks for the reply - I was sure I had already responded to this but I must have forgotten to hit 'submit'- - sorry about the delay.

Please don't take my problem so much to heart - reading through this thread it's obvious that other people have been able to work through your process without any problems, so your information is obviously pretty solid - I am a very new Linux user and still making a lot of stupid mistakes.

Since posting I actually went at this a different way - a while ago I saw a post (not on this website, I don't think) by someone who had made Q3 available already compiled and zipped up as a tar.gz, which I downloaded and then forgot about. When I saw your post I decided (correctly) that I would learn a little bit more by doing it your way, but then I was stalled by the Github/Password problem - and actually, no, I was not logged in as root, so maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, the ready-compiled version, initially, went through the menus OK but then crashed the Pi within a split-second of the game itself starting. I was running the latest Raspbian with turbo mode on and the default split, so the first thing I tried was to alter the split to 50/50 (no difference) and then finally I tried holding down shift during boot-up to disable turbo mode, so the Pi was running at its default, basic clock speeds and voltages. When I did that, it ran beautifully - at around 45-50fps, a heck of a lot faster than I had expected it to run on a 'stock' pi.

I have another Pi on the way to me any day now - I'll be making a fresh Raspbian SD card up for that one and I will try your method again starting on that clean install, and let you know how I got on.

prayrain

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Worked a charm first time mate, thanks very much!! :D I read through all the posts first and thanks to all previous posters for sharing their experiences and pointing me on the right track!! :D

fury

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:34 am

vonProteus wrote:Hi
any ideas?

This is the current limit triggering a reboot.

You can override the current limit to let the Pi draw as much as it needs, but it may cause you to void your warranty if you use it in conjunction with overvolting.

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Overcl ... figuration

To be safe from voiding the warranty, just turn off overvolting when you override the current limit (or when you force turbo, or when you raise the temperature limit beyond 85). However, your Pi may not be able to sustain the higher clock speeds at the default voltage, so you will probably need to lower the clock speed when reducing to default voltage.

raspberrypiguy1

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:56 am

Hi, thanks for the reply - I was sure I had already responded to this but I must have forgotten to hit 'submit'- - sorry about the delay.

Please don't take my problem so much to heart - reading through this thread it's obvious that other people have been able to work through your process without any problems, so your information is obviously pretty solid - I am a very new Linux user and still making a lot of stupid mistakes.

Since posting I actually went at this a different way - a while ago I saw a post (not on this website, I don't think) by someone who had made Q3 available already compiled and zipped up as a tar.gz, which I downloaded and then forgot about. When I saw your post I decided (correctly) that I would learn a little bit more by doing it your way, but then I was stalled by the Github/Password problem - and actually, no, I was not logged in as root, so maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, the ready-compiled version, initially, went through the menus OK but then crashed the Pi within a split-second of the game itself starting. I was running the latest Raspbian with turbo mode on and the default split, so the first thing I tried was to alter the split to 50/50 (no difference) and then finally I tried holding down shift during boot-up to disable turbo mode, so the Pi was running at its default, basic clock speeds and voltages. When I did that, it ran beautifully - at around 45-50fps, a heck of a lot faster than I had expected it to run on a 'stock' pi.

I have another Pi on the way to me any day now - I'll be making a fresh Raspbian SD card up for that one and I will try your method again starting on that clean install, and let you know how I got on.

I am glad to see that everything turned out OK!!!

The Raspberry Pi Guy
;)

shazzydog

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 pm

hello im an absolute noob and im having some trouble installing this.i followed the turoial diligently but when i get to the ./build.sh line after about a minute or so it stops and i get this

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pi/quake3'
DED_CC code/server/sv_bot.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_game.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_ccmds.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_client.c
make[2]: bcm2708-gcc: Command not found
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_bot.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_client.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_ccmds.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_game.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make: *** [release] Error 2

i would really appreciate it if you helped me and told what ive done wrong

Curly420

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 am

shazzydog wrote:hello im an absolute noob and im having some trouble installing this.i followed the turoial diligently but when i get to the ./build.sh line after about a minute or so it stops and i get this

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pi/quake3'
DED_CC code/server/sv_bot.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_game.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_ccmds.c
DED_CC code/server/sv_client.c
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_bot.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_client.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_ccmds.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ded/sv_game.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make: *** [release] Error 2

i would really appreciate it if you helped me and told what ive done wrong
Did you comment out the "CROSS_COMPILE=bcm2708-" line in the build.sh? make it look like "#CROSS_COMPILE=bcm2708-".
I got the exact error you did when I forgot to comment out that line

notarat

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 am

Receiving the following error upon initializing the build process

[email protected] ~/quake3 $ ./build.sh
./build.sh: line 34: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
./build.sh: line 37: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Belay my last. It seems I left out a " in the process of editing the build script

sudo apt-get install git gcc build-essential libsdl1.2-dev
git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3.git

cd quake3

Edit the script used to builkd the application (-w in nano command = no line breaks)
nano -w build.sh

Edit Line 8 to the following:
ARM_LIBS=/opt/vc/lib

Edit line 16 to the following:
INCLUDES="-I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads" (there's the quote i forgot, lol)

Edit Line 19 to read the following
#CROSS_COMPILE=bcm2708-

Ctrl-O to Save
Ctrl-X to exit nano

Initiate the build process by entering the following:
./build.sh

It takes between 30min - 60min to build.

When complete, download the .pak files to the baseq3 folder

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1816557/Q3%20Demo%20Paks.zip

If the pak files are not in the baseq3 folder, it will not work.

From default pi user, the folder structure should look like the following:

home
pi
quake3
build
release-linux-arm
baseq3 <--- pak files go here.

Go to the following folder the run the game
cd /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/

Run the game using the following command
sudo ./ioquake3.arm

notarat

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 am

Okay I seem to have the game running, But I can't seem to get timedemo 1 to run.

The performance is quite good on my currently-unoverclocked Pi connected to my Dell U3011 monitor.

do60312

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 am

WOW Thank you SO much! One thing you missed out on though- you have to drag the demo files out and extract them to desktop, then move them to /home/pi/quake3/build/release-linux-arm/baseq3

I'm impressed with the Pi :D (And your tutorial).
Thanks! :D

do60312

RichKavanagh

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 pm

This might sound like a daft question, but is there such a thing as an "out of the box downloadable image'?

(I'm not even sure Image is the right word)

In other words, something I can download, extract to SD card, plug in, turn on, play... That kind of "out of the box solution"?

Again, apologies if this is a daft question :oops:

sheriff076

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:20 am

RichKavanagh wrote:This might sound like a daft question, but is there such a thing as an "out of the box downloadable image'?

(I'm not even sure Image is the right word)

In other words, something I can download, extract to SD card, plug in, turn on, play... That kind of "out of the box solution"?

Again, apologies if this is a daft question :oops:

Not a daft question, I used this link to do the same (download the file with sound). It works well but the only snag I got was that I could not get it to save the config changes I made to improve graphic etc. Maybe because my Linux skills are pretty basic or maybe that's how it is.

Have a go and see what you think.
http://www.memetic.org/quake-3-with-sou ... pberry-pi/

Cheers,
Sheriff
Regards,

Steve

malakai

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Sweet can't wait to give it a try. Here I zipped up a version not sure if it will just copy over if someone wants to try.

wget -U midori http://www.raspians.com/uploads/quake3.zip
unzip quake3.zip
cd quake3
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1816557/Q3%20Demo%20Paks.zip
unzip Q3\ Demo\ Paks.zip
I think that would do it not sure if the Paks zip will unload into the correct directory but it should just run it and let me know if any errors are encountered also what OS wheezy squeeze etc your on.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

dextrus

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

There are a number of tutorials and blogs about this, but I have been getting a bit frustrated about their currency and about having to seemingly "sneak" around getting the data files. Also, the current Raspberry Pi branch of the code doesn't seem to support Raspbian directly which leads to compile errors. It must be *very* frustrating and confusing (I'm an old hack and am used to being frustrated and confused)!

So I've started Yet Another Quake Project (over at pi-fun.com), which also shows how to download, compile, assemble the data and run Quake III Arena (like everyone else). However.. I'm more interested in the Stereoscopic aspects of the game in this project (It already runs great in stereoscopic on a 3D-TV, but could do with some tweaks) and I've also asked John Carmack for permission to distribute the demo *for the Raspberry Pi*, which he has granted!. I can only distribute it on an SD card however, but I'm not that expensive!

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

shawaj

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:

sudo ./ioquake3.arm
I get to this part, but when i type this into the terminal and try to run it it says command not found....any ideas?

thanks
Support The MagPi by purchasing printed copies from one of our retailers - http://themagpi.com/en/buy

Please share with anyone who is interested!

ScottBouch

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 am

Man, once I got the files in the right place, this works awesomely!

It brings back great memories!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers, Scott.
http://www.scottbouch.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbscottmonkey - - - YouTube Channel

raspberrypiguy1

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:05 pm

:-)

sim_tcr

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 am

i am able to launch the game. But as soon as i enter the game pi crashes.
Any thoughts?

Now game is not launching and see the message "Warning pak0.pk3 is present but its checksim (****) is not correct. Please re-install the point release"

I tried redownloading Paks.zip and extracting it. But still same message.
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

dextrus

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 am

Have you overclocked your Pi at all? I find that the game really exposes any underlying problems with power-supplies etc.

We have one Pi that overclocks to high just fine, but crashes as soon as Quake starts. Another Pi copes just fine. A student of mine had it crash on a non-overclocked Pi but tried my power supply and it worked fine.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

Return to “Gaming”