charco

Megadrive emulation on original RPi

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 pm

I've an old Model B RPi 1 that's been collecting dust. I'd like to use it for emulating old games. What do people consider to be the best OS/Software for this. As it's the original one I believe it's only got 256MB RAM rather than the 512MB available in the later model.

Would I be better off spending ten quid on a Pi Zero W?

welshy

Re: Megadrive emulation on original RPi

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:22 am

MegaDrive Emulation is fine on the Original Pi which negates the need for a Pi Zero. I would advise a version of PicoDrive which is the best overall MegaDrive/Genesis Emulator available for the Pi. Check the Emulation sticky for info -

Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

charco

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:37 pm

I stuck Lakka on it (Retropie too big for the little 2gb SD) and ran some NES roms on it. Sadly, it runs like a dog. Very slow. :|

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't know if the performance would be better, but you may wish to give recalbox a go.

Vanfanel

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm

welshy wrote:MegaDrive Emulation is fine on the Original Pi which negates the need for a Pi Zero. I would advise a version of PicoDrive which is the best overall MegaDrive/Genesis Emulator available for the Pi. Check the Emulation sticky for info -

Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357
How is PicoDrive, an outdated, buggy and unaccurate emulator, the best available on the Pi?
The only thing that emulator does well is running fullspeed on a Pi1 (provided you use laggy GLES graphics. Framerate != input lag).
Simply load Sonic 1 (Master System) and jump. If you have ever played that game, you will notice the PSG audio (which is also part of the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis sound system) is utterly broken.
Load Golden Axe (Mega Drive) and look for the palette problems during demo mode.
Load Sonic CD and leave the music track playing in Palmtree Panic: you will see looping at the end of the song is broken.
The same with Lunar and many other games.
PicoDrive is abandoned and broken.

For an accurate Sega emulator, use Genesis PlusGX core with RetroArch, be it in Lakka, RetroPie, Recalbox or whatever. But DON'T use PicoDrive.

Neil Munday

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 pm

On the SD card front you can easily get SanDisk 16GB SD card for less than £8 on Amazon.

As it happens I bought one the other day and it works fine with the Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,

Neil.
http://pes.mundayweb.com -> The Pi Entertainment System for all your gaming needs

welshy

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 am

charco
Neil's right a good size Class 10 SD Card would/should counter any issues your having and if you DO go down the SD Card Image route RetroPie/PES should run most Systems upto 32X which is too slow, at least on RetroPie. Additionally some PlayStation and N64 Titles will run OK, but not fullspeed so its a case of what you personally find acceptable. Also don't forget to Over Clock your Pi for improved performance!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”