midnx

Are they any game emulators that run in windowed mode?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I need a game emulator (any emulator, doesn't matter) that will run on raspberry Pi (Raspbian) in a window.

I have tried retropi/emulationstation and it does not run in a window.

I have made a C program that is emulating keypresses from gpio/pushbutton and sends them to X11 windows and I want to test it on an emulator, in particular I need to test my delay values and the only way to test/calibrate them accurately is to see how they respond in an actual emulator.

I don't care for the fact that emulationstation runs better in full screen mode or about performance or about anything else, this is just about me being able to test my program. I just need an emulator that runs on a window, please.
Last edited by midnx on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

midnx

Re: Are they any game emulators that run in windowed mode?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:34 am

So for anyone else with a similiar question, I found gngb which is a gameboy emulator that run on an X11 window and its perfect for testing out my code.

nastybuttler322

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:42 am

Mind me asking why?

Never mind lol my eyes skipped a paragragh.

scruss

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 am

fuse (ZX Spectrum) and Vice (C64) both run nicely under X.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

bitbank

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 pm

You can add SmartGear (my multi-system game emulator) to your list of games that can run in a window on the Pi desktop. I use SDL2 and GTK+3. With SDL2 and a "streaming" texture, I can get 60fps updates in a scaled window. This only works reliably now that the new opengl driver has been released with the latest version of Raspbian (for RPi 2/3 only). The original "experimental" opengl driver used to crash/hang often.

Here a video of it in action on a RPi3B:

https://youtu.be/PJp1Ml-ZaD4

It requires you to configure/build SDL2 so that it selects opengl as the video output, but other than that, you don't need to install anything special to get the single executable to run. I'm looking for beta testers, so PM me and I'll send you builds to try on your machine.
The fastest code is none at all :)

Return to “Gaming”