jspeccy

ZXBaremulator 35th anniversay edition

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 am

Hi,

to celebrate the 35th Spectrum anniversary, I've released the first complete Spectrum 48K bare-metal emulator for Raspberry PI. It's available from here: ZXBaremulator. The instructions about how to use are on Web page (first in spanish, next in english).

It's really easy to use, I guess, but if you have any problem, don't hesitate to ask me.

Best regards
José Luis

DougieLawson

Re: ZXBaremulator 35th anniversay edition

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:27 am

Wow! That's seriously cool. I'll have to let my brother Cliff know, he put the Amstrad owned Sinclair stuff in the public domain for you.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Vanfanel

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 am

Wow!! This is INCREDIBLE! Baremetal emulation at last! Who said input lag? :D
Are there plans to port other emulators to this system? C64 would be incredible when run this way!!

jspeccy

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Vanfanel wrote:Wow!! This is INCREDIBLE! Baremetal emulation at last! Who said input lag? :D
Are there plans to port other emulators to this system? C64 would be incredible when run this way!!
Thanks by your feedback. When I was young the only one computer I have from the second hand market was a ZX-Spectrum (well, really my first computer was a ZX81, not a Spectrum). When I jumped to 16-bits I buy an Amstrad PC-1640. So, I know nothing about the Commodore, MSX, CPC or any other.

From my humble POV the most important thing is to encourage others to develop his emulators using Circle, Ultibo or his bare-metal code. It's possible to have a bare-metal emulator using a PI. 80% merit is for Rene Stange, the Circle's author, that's the reality.

scruss

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Nice!

Is the USB joystick support limited to that one XBox controller? I mean, I know that QAOP shall be the whole of the law, but sometimes you need a joystick, and I don't have that particular stick.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

jspeccy

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:01 pm

scruss wrote:Nice!

Is the USB joystick support limited to that one XBox controller? I mean, I know that QAOP shall be the whole of the law, but sometimes you need a joystick, and I don't have that particular stick.
ZXbaremulator supports PS3 gamepad, not XBox. I don't have any other gamepad to test. But other gamepad doesn't work without write his driver for the Circle library.

scruss

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Ah, thanks. I meant PS/3, though I wrote Xbox … :oops:
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

jspeccy

Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 pm

I've released ZXBaremulator v1.1.1, with interesting features, I guess.

You can download it from http://zxmini.speccy.org.

welshy

Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am

jspeccy
Suena interesante, ¿te importa si añado esta UEM a la sección de emulación? Supongo que a partir de la lectura de los detalles es una imagen de tarjeta SD "autocontenido" para un Speccy, es decir, no un binario? Normalmente prefiero probar / ejecutar cualquier programa antes de añadir a la Fourm, pero estoy disponible para probar en el momento.

Sounds interesting, do you mind if I add this EMU to the Emulation Section? I assume from reading the details its a 'Self Contained' SD Card Image for a Speccy i.e. not a Binary? I usually prefer to test/run any program before adding to the Fourm, but am available to test at moment.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

jspeccy

Tue May 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi welshy,

ZXBaremulator is a binary image that boots as a kernel, without Linux, and emulates a ZX Spectrum 48k. The first version includes 55 virtual tapes embedded on binary image, but from 1.1.1 version the user chooses his favourite tapes and puts it in the SD card.

The emulator is released as three images (one for every PI model) and a ZIP file that the user needs to uncompres on a uSD, I don't distribute a ISO file. When you see the allfiles.zip, you can see the minimal fileset to boot the PI and the emulator.

So, you can use an installed uSD (with Raspbian i.e.) and replace the kernel*.img with the ZXBaremulator image, or you can get an empty uSD card and uncompress the allfiles.zip on it. This last option would be the preferred by most users.

Yes, I'll be happy to see ZXBaremulator in the Emulation section. 

If you need to know something more, please, don't hesitate to ask me.

welshy

Tue May 09, 2017 1:15 pm

jspeccy
So as I assumed, its sort of like an SD Card Image, self contained (e.g. RetroPie etc). Hopefully I can test it in the next few days, then I will pm you to confirm your happy with the Article once posted. Seems there are only positives from the postings here, can't wait to try it myself!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”