Trixster

Re: Full speed Amiga emulator ( UAE )

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:51 pm

What's the minimum gpu memory the emulator can run with? I'm running my pi with squeezeplug as well and I want to keep memory allocated to the gpu to a minimum.

Sound over HDMI seems to work fine.

First Samurai still won't work properly with this release. Shortly after inserting disk 2 uae4all will crash back to cli.

It'd be nice to have a few more options to tweak in the gui, like the pandora version. Is there anyting you can add Chips?

welshy

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Trixster
I don't run any OpenGLES rendered emulator (or omxplayer) with more than 64MEG to the GPU (excluding the PlayStation RetroArch Core which needs 128). Obviously SDL rendered emulators dont require any applied to the GPU as it cannot be utilised in any case.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

KitchUK

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 am

Chips, would it be possible to use a usb pad (xbox 360) to navigate the emulator GUI? Also are you able to assign buttons via a config file?

asiainorama

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:35 pm

KitchUK wrote:Chips, would it be possible to use a usb pad (xbox 360) to navigate the emulator GUI? Also are you able to assign buttons via a config file?
Hi KitchUK, I'm not sure, but using RetroPie I did it:
While the Raspberry is powered off, plug in one of your USB controllers. You should also still have your keyboard plugged in.
Power on your Raspberry by unplugging it, and then plugging it back in again.
Your Pi should go through its regular startup, and launch EmulationStation.
Before we can configure your controller for working with EmulationStation, we need to get rid of the .cfg file which currently should be telling ES to work with your keyboard. So from the EmulationStation main menu, press F4 to get back to your terminal.

cd .emulationstation
sudo rm es_input.cfg

Note: If you want the ability to navigate the EmulationStation menu with more than one controller (2 Player), you should shut down your Raspberry Pi now, plug in your second controller, and then power it back on, and skip the next 2 lines.

cd
emulationstation

Now, I can to navigate the emulator GUI with my pads.
I hope it helps you.

KitchUK

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Thank you for the reply. By emulator GUI I actually meant within the emulator itself and not just emulation station. When you open the emulator and enter the GUI you can select different options and load an amiga disk image but you have to use a keyboard. I wondered if you would be able to do this via a pad.

I'd also like to know how to edit the button assignments when using the emulator for amiga games.

RetroFredde

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks Chips for the awesome port job on the emulator. I'm running both Turrican and Turrican 2 full speed right now on my pi. :D

I have a question though.

Is it possible to run uae4all-cyclone or uae4all-fame with command line parameters?
I've tried a bunch of the ones listed in the readme file but can't get any of them to work.

What I want to do is have the emulator boot up with a adf already mounted in df0 without going into the GUI, that way I can boot games right from EmulationStation.
Is that possible?

I can do it in uae4rpi that came with RetroPie image but uae4all-rpi goes into the GUI everytime the way I do it and no adf is premounted either.

This is how I understood I should do it going by the readme file.
booting with an adf
./uae4all-cyclone -s floppy0=turrican.adf
and no GUI
./uae4all-cyclone -s use_gui=no
but it just boots into the GUI

Noldor

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Looking in current public source seems that command line parameters aren't processed.

RetroFredde

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:03 am

Noldor wrote:Looking in current public source seems that command line parameters aren't processed.
Oh that's not the answer I was hoping for. Is this something that is planned for the next release?
Booting with an adf in df0
Booting without GUI
And also
Exit emulator from joypad
Those are my wishes

asiainorama

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi!!!

I've read today that Broadcom has opened the source code of graphics core on Raspberry.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/6299

Do you think that this will be good for UAE4ALL??

uprocker

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the great work chips!

I'm running uae4all on rpi with two speedlink competition pro usb joysticks.

Everything works fine... however only the left fire button is recognized by default. Is there a way to switch default to the right fire button or make both buttons work simultaneously?

As for the drives:

How can i use both drives (df0/df1)? I havent found a way to attach images to df1. Havent found any menu options or short keys for that so far.

Any ideas may be?

Thanks for your help!

ericgus

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 am

Hi everyone .. I have been trying to get this emulator working (using retropi SD boot image with the uae4all-src-rc3.chips.0.2.tar.bz2 binaries) .. and while I can get everything technically "running" including sound the display however looks really terrible .. workbench is very low rez (320x200?) and games seem to be distorted i.e. 4x3 aspect ratio is being stretched out to my monitors 16x9 display .. my AOC lcd has a native display resolution of 1440x900 and it uses a DVI connection (I am using an HDMI-DVI cable to connect it to the Rpi) for the record other apps and X windows seem to work fine and I use this Pi with Rasplex with no issue (if that help) .. any help in getting this working would be appreciated .. My preference would be to have the proper 4x3 aspect ratio and possibly something a bit higher that what appears to be 320x200 (ish) resolution.. I have tried using -s command options but the seem to be ignored or not supported.

Chips

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 am

New version 0.3:

- Now Amiga Vsync is synchronized with Raspberry Pi one. It enables perfectly smooth emulation. Since emulated Amiga is Pal, ensure to set Raspberry Pi to 50Hz display mode otherwise graphics jitter will occurs.
- Since Vsync management is completely rewritten, Auto frame skip is less effective than in previous version. However it looks like enough for Raspberry Pi (especially with cyclone core).
- Improved double buffering: CPU is no more blocked on Vsync waiting.
- Menu can be driven using Joystick.

I'm not sure i will improve it anymore, i could look at uae4all2 ...

RetroFredde

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 am

Chips wrote:New version 0.3:

- Now Amiga Vsync is synchronized with Raspberry Pi one. It enables perfectly smooth emulation. Since emulated Amiga is Pal, ensure to set Raspberry Pi to 50Hz display mode otherwise graphics jitter will occurs.
- Since Vsync management is completely rewritten, Auto frame skip is less effective than in previous version. However it looks like enough for Raspberry Pi (especially with cyclone core).
- Improved double buffering: CPU is no more blocked on Vsync waiting.
- Menu can be driven using Joystick.

I'm not sure i will improve it anymore, i could look at uae4all2 ...
Sounds great! Oh and joystick menu is just what I wanted, I'll try it all out as soon as possible :)

Chips

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I just realized that you still need a keyboard in order to go back to menu from emulation mode :(
I just did a version that use any joystick button number higher than 4 as a "go back to menu" request. It works...

It should do the trick since all joystick do have more than 4 button now.. i should release it shortly...

Chips

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 am

v0.4 available in first page.

New in V0.4:
- Now joystick can be used to go back from emulation mode to menu. If you have a joystick with more than 4 buttons, any button except the four first one will trigger the main menu.

ulysess

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:12 am

Chips wrote:v0.4 available in first page.

New in V0.4:
- Now joystick can be used to go back from emulation mode to menu. If you have a joystick with more than 4 buttons, any button except the four first one will trigger the main menu.
I've compiled and works like a charm. Thanks!

UPDATE: I've added to my project the binary if you don't mind: https://github.com/jmcerrejon/PiKISS
  • PiKISS for Raspberry Pi: https://github.com/jmcerrejon/PiKISS
  • Blog: https://misapuntesde.com/
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/cerrejon?fan_landing=true
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/ulysess10
  • Discord: https://discord.gg/Y7WFeC5

Chips

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:13 pm

New version 0.5 available:

http://fdarcel.free.fr/uae4all-src-rc3. ... .5.tar.bz2

New in v0.5:

- Menu resolution is increased: now more files are displayed in adf loader and name are longer.
- Add new options in menu: second drive (DF1) adf load and 4/3 or fullscreen display selection.

Higgy

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Nice work!
I just updated to latest version on my RPi bartop arcade (customised version of PiMAME with additional emulators).

I had a brief look through the readme's. Is there config file I can adjust to set certain keys to do things?

On my Bartop I have my arcade buttons (joystick + 11 buttons) attached to the GPIO's which are allocated to keys, F1, F12, HOME, INSERT etc.
The menu works great to select games etc, and I played Dynablasters (Bomberman) fine. But I would like to change the menu from F11 to F12 etc. And setup LMB & RMB (mouse buttons) to one of my GPIO buttons.

Also is UAE4ALL2 (using on OUYA) has a button for cycling between MOUSE/JOYSTICK etc. Does UAE4ALL have this? I have USB connectors to add keyboard/mouse but would like just to use my GPIO buttons.

Thanks for all the great work again. I wish I knew how to do all this stuff. Been using computers since the mid 80's but did not learn how to program!

welshy

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 am

Just to let you guys know, UAE4ALL2 is available for the RPi (extract from the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread).

UAE4ALL2 - Commodore Amiga
rSI has compiled the updated UAE4ALL2. There are many improvements over UAE4ALL including increased performance and the GUI is neater allowing 'multiple' Floppy Drives without any fuss. Software is also emulated more accurately with CinemaWare Titles for instance, now running without glitches in Cut Scenes and the infamous 'Juggler' Demo also renders correctly (in UAE4ALL there were heavy graphical errors). All criteria considered it is currently the best emulator for the system on the Raspberry Pi.

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=80602
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

MrStuffnThings

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi,

When I try to make v0.5 it gets to src/m68k/fame/famec.cpp and dies:

g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report, with processed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.7/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [src/m68k/fame/famec.o] Error 4

I figured it was a lack of ram so I changed my GPU to 16 and tried again but it spat the same error. I'm really new to linux and rpi so I've probably just stuffed up something simple. Any ideas?

Cheers

Chips

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:59 pm

I have this problem too... Rpi miss of memory to compile it.

I have following solution:
- Increase the swap. I didn't remember how and how much... :P
- Cross compile it :ugeek:
- There is a backup of fame.o in src/m68k/fame, copy fame.o.sav to fame.o so that it will be already available. Dont forget Date & Time of the fame.o should be never than fame.cpp (do a touch fame.o ) otherwise make command will consider it needs to be recompiled. ;)
- Switch to cyclone core (see Makefile) :mrgreen:

thom

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:10 pm

This project looks great so I'm keen to get it working.

Here are commands to increase the swap: (do as root)

free
(see how much swap you currently have)

dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=512
(create a file called swapfile, of 512MB, full of zeros)

chmod 600 swapfile
(change permissions on the file - root read and write)

mkswap swapfile
(make the file a swap)

swapon swapfile
(enable it)

free
(see how much swap you now have - the 512MB is in addition to existing swap)

These changes don't last so after a reboot everything will go back to normal, although the file will be there but you can just delete it.

It compiles further than before but I still get an error later on (will post the error later as it's not in front of me right now).

RetroFredde

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:44 pm

It all got a bit complicated for me now, could someone please help a noob what lines to write to get the new version working? My current RetroPie image works way to great right now to have it messed up by doing something stupid because I don't quite know what I'm doing :/

Oh and is it possible to somehow run games from the command line now or du you have to use the menu?
I'm currently using EmulationStation as a launcher for all my other games so it would be cool to get that to work with the Amiga games too.

dicko72

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Folks,

I'm running 0.5 on b+.
When I try and run my selected add I just get a black screen with the coloured boxes at the bottom.

Using the larger kick.rom as discussed earlier.

Any ideas?

Thanks

fiedes

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 am

I have the same problem. Was working a few months ago after spending some time realizing the need to add -lpthread in LDFLAGS line in the Makefile. Compiled with no errors after making larger swapfile as described in earlier post.

Before I was able to switch in/out of GUI with LCTRL, but now it just hangs after pressing "Run" in GUI. As described frozen black screen with the colored boxes. No kickstart image and doesnt respons to kill command via ssh. Not using any CPU according to top.

Very annoying as this seems like the best amiga emulator speedwise at the moment. Using latest firmware, might be related to earlier update.

Is this working for anyone else at the moment?

Return to “Gaming”