bteeter

using the raspberry pi and the Oculus Rift

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:09 pm

One of the things that got me involved with the Raspberry Pi was another project from KickStarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

It has a HDMI interface and seems that I would be real neat to put it and the raspberry on a battery pack in a Fanny Pack and some Wii controllers and walk into walls when playing a video game.

This at least seems to be possible and no dragging around a PC in a little red wagon to do it.

Bob Teeter

toxibunny

Re: using the raspberry pi and the Oculus Rift

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Are you getting/have you got an oculist rift then? I'm waiting for the consumer version...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

bteeter

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

No I got into kickstarter when the project was listed. They will be sending out the 1st version in December with Doom 3 and Hawken available from a PC. From the videos of the presentations it appears that the 3D function is done on a split screen.

Technical specs of the Oculus Rift Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

I think with this and also the work done by Brian here:
http://www.brianhensley.net/2012/08/wii ... ython.html

we can have a 3D video game system that does not require a keyboard and you can also walk into walls without trying. :lol:

Bob Teeter

Lukesmith

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

The rift requires a lot of power considering it needs the game world rendered twice. The raspberry pi isnt really up to the job. On top of that raspberry pi is more suited to loFi graphics due to the limitations so even if you got something running what would be the point if the quality was really poor?

bteeter

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 pm

The current development screen 1280x800 the screen is display in the left and right of the same screen. And yes it may take more power but that can be dealt with. Just the idea of having a mobile game will make a large difference. No one else has one. Plus if you use the default environment from Oculus the you need a backpack for the computer. It is someplace to start.

Bob Teeter

toxibunny

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Lukesmith wrote:The rift requires a lot of power considering it needs the game world rendered twice. The raspberry pi isnt really up to the job. On top of that raspberry pi is more suited to loFi graphics due to the limitations so even if you got something running what would be the point if the quality was really poor?
Well, the point of the oculus rift isn't that it's stereoscopic Crysis-level graphics with millions of polygons per second - the point of it is that by using below-perceptual-threshold low latencies, modern high-refresh-rate OLED screens, some smart stuff with lenses and shaders, and a bit of psychological trickery, it becomes an entirely new experience. High hopes I know, but I remember when the geforce graphics first came out more than a decade ago, I downloaded a physics demo that looked *amazing* at 120fps, even though it was just a couple of rigid-body 3d objects...

For the oculus rift to deliver on it's promises, all you need is something that can supply visuals at a high enough refresh rate, and that can react to the sensor inputs quickly enough. The pi is technically capable of both. Sure, it will be lo-fi compared to a modern PC, but so what? You adjust your art style to the limitations of what you're working with...

TL:DR - it's not about polygon count, it's feasible, we'll just have to wait and see... Plus, as bteeter says, portability is a big plus...

Yam

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Just ordered the development kit may make more sense to try and power this with 3 raspberry pis
1 for computation and 1 for rendering the screen for each eye, optimising the memory divides you could get some fairly impressive worlds.
You will be able to get something to the oculus with 1 raspberry I mean they managed it in the 80's with much less.

djlins

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi there,

Our company also registered the amount to get a dev kit because I write PC games and am very interested in Virtual Reality.

I like your idea but I have to be honest, I think trying it out for the Pi as a first run will cause quite a few headaches.

I think it would be better to throw a laptop into a rucksack and try and write something using windows tools first. Then when that is all working honky dory you could look at porting it over to pi's.

I probably wont post my progress on that one on here as it is off topic (Windows based) but if I port over whatever 3D worlds I create to the Pi then I will update you all then.
Director of www.thefusionworks.com

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am

Would something along the lines of the Odroid X be more suited to this?
Or would the graphics power still be too low?

djlins

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 am

Hi elJay

Again I believe because it is Android then the tools to create 3D worlds and tweak them into the way the Oculus works are going to be too new to be a good experiment project for a homebrewer.

The Oculus Rift isnt just a Stereoscopic version of a 3D world. That is why it wont just run with every current 3D game like say NVision or iZ3D does, but games have to be especially tailored for its massive field of view and new way of seeing things.

Like I say I think to keep the frustrations only with the new Oculus SDK then the tools to do the rest should be well established. For me, I will use the Microsoft XNA as that is the one I have found to be the easiest and with the best support network. I have also used TV3D and OGRE, and recently met the Away3D Devs and would like to do something with that in flash, but Oculus wouldnt be my fist project to try out using a 3D engine for the first time.

Sorry I know I am now way off topic for a Pi forum now. I leave it here.

bteeter

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I am just going to use the Raspberry Pi for a front end that receives video and takes the motion sensing and sends the key strokes for the game. Not all the game processing. More of a remote screen/keyboard environment to start. Also if I need more processing then setting up a compute cluster a la the raspberry pi 64 system will be the direction to go. Remember that a brick is not a big thing but lots of bricks and a little mortar you can build castles.

Bob Teeter

djlins

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Heheh nice one Bob, I like the castles euphemism.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Actually you have now got me thinking outside of the box.
Maybe a couple of these Pi Cameras:

Strapped onto one of these:

Piped into an Oculus Rift and you have an awesone real time 3D flying experience.
Hmmmm niiiice
It might be as close as I'll ever get to pretending I'm Superman heheh.

bteeter

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Part of what I want to do is get the Rift and work with the PC on Doom 3. Then using the existing port of Doom 3 on the Raspberry Pi work with the developers on drivers for this. Please note that in all the video demos they have. The video is displayed as 2 screens on the same display. Done that way the work will be doable.

Bob

bteeter

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 am

Just to let you know I got my request for a shipping address from the Oculus Rift project today.

Now this sucker best show up before Christmas or Santa is going to meet a hot fire in the Fireplace.

Bob

toxibunny

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 am

Ooh, congrats! Are you any good with the old graphics programming then?

Do post pics, btw...

djlins

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi BTeeter,

Can you tell me if they took payment from Amazon for your Rift?
I seemed to get an authorised payment email from Kickstarter that is valid until November but my initial donation hasn't actually yet been taken.
I really hope I am still on the early developer list still.

Cheers,

Lins.

bteeter

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Yup - They sucked the money right from where I said it was. Right on time and thru Amazon. I think that if you get an email from kickstarter about what address to send the reward to you are on the list.

I firmly believe that even if I get the initial game close for dual image/single screen that it will work in some form. At that point I believe that the Oculus guys may go nuts about a portable game in real time.
This would be like a version of laser tag PLUS... But my old bones can just watch it from the easy chair and beat the stuffings out of my son.

Bob Teeter

dextrus

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Lukesmith wrote:The rift requires a lot of power considering it needs the game world rendered twice. The raspberry pi isnt really up to the job. On top of that raspberry pi is more suited to loFi graphics due to the limitations so even if you got something running what would be the point if the quality was really poor?
I'm sorry but this just isn't correct. We can run Quake III in stereoscopic at around 25fp, and that's a port without optimisation. Something written specifically for the Pi would fly. What are these limitations you talk of? It's got as much RAM as an XBox360/PS3 and a "modern" shader-based GPU. The bottle-neck is the CPU, but even that isn't "slow".

I see no reason why the Pi and the Occulus Rift can't be amazing bedfellows.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

bteeter

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 am

I just received notice that the Oculus Rift has been delayed till March 2013 but they have supplied valid reasons for that and a gant chart with what happens when so I don't feel bad about the delay. At least they told us about the delay.

Bob Teeter

toxibunny

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 am

I made a homebrew oculus rift the other day using a pair of ultra-strong glasses for extreme farsightedness, and my cellphone held right up to my face playing 3d hd youtube vids. Radical!

ghans

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 am

Lolwut ? :lol:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

djlins

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 am

Yeah I just got my delay news on the Rift pushing back to March or April next year.

Like you say though I appreciate their honesty and swiftness in keeping people informed. It seems they are taking notes on how the Raspberry Pi delay was handled just under a year ago. Keeping the people in the know stops rumor and anger from growing. Nice one Oculus.

Ho Hum - One day i will get my system. I did see a little announcement on the late delivery blog post that Unity 3D will be integrating Oculus soon.
Is Unity 3D something that runs on a Pi currently?
I have never really stepped into the realms of Unity 3D, last time I compared what engine to use for a project I dropped Unity in favour of Ogre. Later on I favoured the XNA gamestudio. Since then I have been looking at Away3D and the stuff they can now do with GPU integration.
Maybe its time to look into Unity3D again.

bteeter

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Just got update #18 from Oculus confirming that delivery is on schedule starting in the middle of March. They have also developed a Latency tester for movement to display changed complete speed evaluation. It appears that this will be some form of a game changer for the industry.

Bob

haberkern

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 pm

djlins wrote:Heheh nice one Bob, I like the castles euphemism.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Actually you have now got me thinking outside of the box.
Maybe a couple of these Pi Cameras:

Strapped onto one of these:

Piped into an Oculus Rift and you have an awesone real time 3D flying experience.
Hmmmm niiiice
It might be as close as I'll ever get to pretending I'm Superman heheh.

I am working on this project exactly. So far the Oculus works exceedingly well if you pass it direct HDMI screen output from the pi. Now i'm working on expanding it to an RF downlink display into the Rift (Quadrotor Pi ---> ground Pi ---> Rift)... i'l let you know how it goes.

haberkern

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:55 pm

p.s. while the pi isn't designed to run two pi_cameras at the same time, you can do an optical trick to spread the monovision and have it look similar to 3D (though from the air, things are usually too far away for it to make much of a difference of 2D). The best thing about the Rift isn't the 3D, it's the real-time position feedback of the head - allowing the 6-axis gimbal to operate to the user's head motions. Pretty cool stuff.

Return to “Gaming”