antiriad

Quakespasm and DOOM Retro on Rpi3 (help)

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi,
I'd really like some help to enjoy these two source ports on Raspberry Pi.

Quakespasm is available in Raspbian Jessie repository, but I get a "Couldn't load video device" error when I try to run it in CLI... perhaps due to GLES acceleration?

DOOM Retro is a minimalist, refined DOOM source port by Brad Harding that implement a set of modern features while still upholding a deference for that classic, nostalgic DOOM experience we all hold dear. I was able to compile and run it on Bunsenlabs (and I wrote a tutorial about it some time ago) but even if I can compile it on Raspberry, I'm unable to run it on CLI (it only works under Pixel GUI, but it is slow).

I know that there are alternatives, however maybe there is someone who might want to try these peculiar source ports?
Thank you!

PrettyCoolBruh

Re: Quakespasm and DOOM Retro on Rpi3 (help)

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Sorry for the late reply,

The QuakeSpasm engine needs desktop OpenGL to play the game smoothly. The DarkPlaces engine is a great alternative to this, as it runs smoothly and uses OpenGL ES, the engine that RaspPi supports.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do

PrettyCoolBruh

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

PrettyCoolBruh wrote:Sorry for the late reply,

The QuakeSpasm engine needs desktop OpenGL to play the game smoothly. The DarkPlaces engine is a great alternative to this, as it runs smoothly and uses OpenGL ES, the engine that RaspPi supports.
My bad, there is a solution to this. You can try the experimental OpenGL engine in the raspi-config. Have fun!
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do

antiriad

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:06 pm

PrettyCoolBruh wrote:
PrettyCoolBruh wrote:Sorry for the late reply,

My bad, there is a solution to this. You can try the experimental OpenGL engine in the raspi-config. Have fun!
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I know Darkplaces engine but I really prefer QuakeSpasm and its "philosophy", and since it is in the official repository... ;)

I didn't know about the experimental OpenGL driver: it is "officially" in development?
I have installed SDL 2.0.5 libraries via Retropie-Setup script for hardware accelerated scaling: they will work also with the OpenGL driver?

Thank you very much, I'll check QuakeSpasm in OpenGL as soon as I'll be back at home! ;)

antiriad

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Unfortunately I get the infamous black screen at boot after activating the experimental OpenGL driver... :(

I just have to keep hoping for a GLES optimized version of QuakeSpasm.

Return to “Gaming”