Raspigamer

PowerBoost 1000 Charger Problems

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:05 pm

So yesterday I was running the first test on a project that I had been doing, which is a portable gaming system, Well I got it all hooked up and it worked great but I noticed that it was giving me a low battery indicator so I went to put it on charge. I unplugged it from my project and was charging it separately via the micro usb port. The power supply I was using is 5v 2.5A and the battery I was charging is a 6600mAh battery that I got from adafruit along with the powerboost. So after about an hour and a half I went back to unplug it for the night and the second I touched the powerboost all of the leds turned on then a few seconds later they faded and the powerboost began to smoke. I quickly got the battery and the power supply out of the powerboost and now today I tested it again and none of the leds are coming on. Does anybody know what caused the board to do this and how to prevent it.

mosespi

Re: PowerBoost 1000 Charger Problems

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:32 pm

If I had to take a guess I would say you destroyed the powerboost with some static. On most bare PC boards with semiconductors you have to be careful of electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. On a lot of basic electronic discussion boards, this is not stated enough! Although I believe the Pi is pretty resilient when it comes to ESD damage.

When we get dry conditions, where static buildup can increase, I try to not handle electronics unless at a proper static controlled station. Same might apply for wool sweaters, rubber shoes and cats.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

Raspigamer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 pm

mosespi wrote:If I had to take a guess I would say you destroyed the powerboost with some static. On most bare PC boards with semiconductors you have to be careful of electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. On a lot of basic electronic discussion boards, this is not stated enough! Although I believe the Pi is pretty resilient when it comes to ESD damage.

When we get dry conditions, where static buildup can increase, I try to not handle electronics unless at a proper static controlled station. Same might apply for wool sweaters, rubber shoes and cats.

Regards,
-Moses
Thank you I originally thought that it was the charger because adafruit suggests 2.4A and the charger I was using is 2.5A but it never actually says the range

Powerbanktalk

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Looks like circuit board got short-circuited because of incorrect current and voltage inputs through the battery charger.
Please keep in mind that every gadget and appliance has different current and voltage needs and these are stated in details on charges or manuals.
While using portable batteries try to use high quality brands such as anker, eassacc, ravpower etc
Most of the times these brands provide Smart tech which detects the input requirements and provides appropriate current. I have reviewed many aka portable chargers here http://www.powerbanktalk.com/best-porta ... view-2015/
and have given detailed specifications.
Let me know if you need further details about power banks

Return to “Gaming”