berighteous

Recalbox on ntsc tv?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi!
My pi3 is connected to a crt TV and I want to play with recalbox. I downloaded the zip and copied it to the card and booted the pi...nothing on screen. I took out the card and put it on my pc and read the readme file (probably should have done that first) and it said if you don't see anything hit 4 on the keyboard. I put the card back in the pi, turned it on, waited a minute and hit 4 on the keyboard and the installer appeared on screen. It was scaled too big, so part was off screen, but I was able to hit the install button. and it told me it was installing and when it got finished it rebooted the pi...

and there's nothing on my TV screen. Apparently it went back to HDMI mode, and the music started playing out the TV so I know it booted. How do I get recalbox to show on my TV? I looked on the card and there's no config.txt or anything obvious.

Any help? Thanks!

DougieLawson

Re: Recalbox on ntsc tv?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Get a HDMI TV, get a HDMI to VGA adapter, get a HDMI to DVI-D cable.
Use anything that isn't NTSC 376i.

If you insist on using NTSC then you'll need to add some lines to your /boot/config.txt and remove any lines with HDMI, framebuffer or overscan. Then add this:

Code: Select all

sdtv_mode=0
hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1
You can do that with the NOOBS installer which has a config editor. Hold [SHIFT] during boot press [4] to get NTSC running and there's a config editor there.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

berighteous

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:10 pm

I press shift and 4 on boot and it just gives me "Select OS to boot" and RecalboxOS.pi3 is the only thing on the menu. There is no other option but boot recalbox.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Then you'll need to ask the folks who made your SDCard, because they've disabled the stuff on the NOOBS menu. It's may using berryboot (which I've never used or even looked at in any detail).

You could always build a NOOBS/Raspbian system on another SDCard and use that with an SDCard reader to firkle about with your Recalbox system.

Or bite the bullet and wire the wee beastie to a HDMI TV.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Gaming”