berighteous

Pi 3 not booting images from older Pies

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 am

Hi.
I just got a couple of new Pi3's to do some bartop arcade cabs. A few years ago I built a few using mame4all with advmenu using PI version 1 256:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-p6f5DxiXo

I got the bug again to build some more, so I got the new PIes, and have had no troubles setting up and playing recalbox. But when I attempted to use the sd card image from my older arcade cabs the Pi won't boot. I put the same card into one of the older Pies I had and i booted and went to the game menu fine. I thought The pi3 was backward compatible? Doesn't boot at all.

What do I do? (other than build something again from scratch) 3 years removed, mind is a blank slate. Thanks

berighteous

Re: Pi 3 not booting images from older Pies

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:22 am

I tried an image of piplay .8 beta 9 the last on on the website, and it doesn't boot on the pi 3 but boots on the pi 1B

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:28 am

berighteous wrote:I tried an image of piplay .8 beta 9 the last on on the website, and it doesn't boot on the pi 3 but boots on the pi 1B
Obviously the .IMG do not have the required firmware / kernel to support the RPi 3B
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

berighteous

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:09 am

So they're not backward compatible? The few blurbs I saw said they were backward compatible with the 2 and 1. Why aren't they backward compatible?

klricks

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:22 am

berighteous wrote:So they're not backward compatible? The few blurbs I saw said they were backward compatible with the 2 and 1. Why aren't they backward compatible?
You have it 'backwards'...... All new images will run on the older RPi models...... But not all older images will run on the newer RPi models...
Some old images can be made to work by updating firmware etc.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

berighteous

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:49 am

so if I boot the card on the old pi and do an apt-get update? Hadn't thought of that. lol. Been too long away from linux.

klricks

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 am

berighteous wrote:so if I boot the card on the old pi and do an apt-get update? Hadn't thought of that. lol. Been too long away from linux.
Along with sudo apt-get upgrade for Raspbian OS.
I have no idea what it would take to get whatever OS you are running to work. You need to contact the maintainers.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

berighteous

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am

I got it sorted out. Someone on a raspberri pi face book group told me I just needed to boot the card on a pi1 and update raspi-config and then "sudo aptitude upgrade raspberrypi-bootloader libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi0"

A few minutes of updating and I put the card in the pi3 and poof it works. Plays the games way better too, lol.

Return to “Gaming”