Andrey

Re: Unreal Speccy Portable - ZX Spectrum emulator

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am

Otto wrote:hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
Ok, i tried this too.
Now my TV shows "No Signal" on most modes or enables 480p or 720p (60Hz).
And emulator works ok :)

saberman

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:18 am

I was hoping to use this with RetroPie/emulationstation can you start a game form the command line?

ulysess

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:47 pm

saberman wrote:I was hoping to use this with RetroPie/emulationstation can you start a game form the command line?
I use FUSE from command line. It's the perfect spectrum emulator :D
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

saberman

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 am

I agree but the version of Fuse installed with RetroPie doesn't run from the command line so I tried Unreal Spectrum and found it really good.

Andrey

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

@saberman

Recently i added possibility to open file from command line.
Can you build version yourself?

Code: Select all

svn checkout http://unrealspeccyp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ usp
cd usp/build/rpi
make
@ulysess

FUSE is using SDL for video output. It's ugly on Raspberry Pi (no vsync, no filtering, software stretching).
Unreal Speccy Portable (USP) uses GLESv2 rendering (GPU hardware accelerated features).
Please read topic from this post
Setup video mode properly (50 Hz) and compare some demos (which uses vsync) on FUSE and USP:
SHOCK MEGADEMO EXTASY MEGADEMO BRAIN SURGERY INSULT MEGADEMO

saberman

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Yes - I built it this evening and it works like a dream :) . You are right about how good it looks too when Fuse didn't run I downloaded Unreal Speccy Portable and really liked how it looked so stuck with it.

The only problem now is that the sound stutters.

Andrey

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:48 pm

@saberman

>The only problem now is that the sound stutters.

really strange. just tested version from latest sources.. all fine with sound.
do you use HDMI or analog?

saberman

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm using HDMI there are some other threads that say there can be problems with the sound drivers so I might look into that.

welshy

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:34 pm

saberman
It is probably the Default Pulse Audio Drivers in the Rpi Wheezy Image causing the Issue (Present in Wheezy Image: 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian), which play havoc with many Programs that don’t facilitate their use (e.g. Most Emulators). The best thing to do is remove them (It won’t affect anything as it reverts to the ALSA Sound Drivers)

To Remove -
sudo apt-get --purge remove pulseaudio

Then do a reboot -
sudo reboot

This should solve the problem

However, I have found Wheezy Image: 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian is SLOWER than almost ANY Image I have used (For a variety of Applications), its performance is between 10-40% poorer (Depending on the Emulator). I would go for the latest 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian Image if you have a RPi of the 512 MEG flavour and 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian if it’s of the 256 MEG variety (This Image doesn’t address the extra RAM)

Hope That Helps!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

saberman

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Cool I'll give that a try. This next question should be a simple one - what keys map to the speccy Cap Shift and Symbol Shift. Can find them in the readme etc... or by trial and error.

welshy

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am

Sabreman
Andrey’s Unreal Emulator has an “Autoloader” for Game images so as to negate the need to type any input for loading!?

Just Press “Esc” for the Menu
Select “Open File” (Then your Game Image) and it will load and Run!

However, if you want that “Fully Retro” feel you can always use FBZX, I previously wrote a “Guide” that can be found Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=231069

Personally, I think it’s BETTER than FUSE (Which is why I originally posted it) but is pretty much redundant due to Andrey’s* excellent addition for ZX Spectrum Emulation on the RPi!

*BTW, Andrey, I did post a link to your exceptional NES Emulator in the EMULATION ON THE RPi (UPDATE) thread, nice work! THE BEST Famicom/NES Emulator available on the RPi!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Andrey

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 pm

@saberman

CAPS SHIFT - SHIFT
SYMBOL SHIFT - ALT

If you want to press CAPS SHIFT + SYMBOL SHIFT (to enter to Extended mode in BASIC) you can press TAB.

Andrey

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

@welshy

Thank you!)

@saberman

Also you can enter to "fully retro" mode by disabling auto start images and disable fast tape mode :)
You will hear authentic tape loading sound!

emptybee

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Got this running with the zx membrane keyboard mapped but have problems with the mapping when I go into the emulator. If you could add shortcuts to the menu items that would be incredibly helpful as the main problem is navigating this. I.e. pressing q when the menu is up exits etc.

emptybee

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi Andrey, not sure if you are still working on this program or not but I've found a bug whereby keys with keycodes over a certain number aren't recognised.

I.e. I have the line keycode 164 = "o" in my loadkeys map file and it works at the console but not in the emulator. I've also found that pressing shift plus 6 to move down, or shift plus 7 to move up, in the menu doesn't work. The presses aren't recognised. Going to have to move to fuse to see if that emulator works unless this can be fixed but much prefer USP so want to avoid this if possible. Please can you help at all?

Andrey

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 am

emptybee wrote:Hi Andrey, not sure if you are still working on this program or not but I've found a bug whereby keys with keycodes over a certain number aren't recognised.
Hi!) I'm still working on!
I.e. I have the line keycode 164 = "o" in my loadkeys map file and it works at the console but not in the emulator.
Ok, but why you have keycode 164 for "o" ? it must be 111 in ascii (see this table)
Also see SDL keymap (this is how keycodes mapped in emulator)
And emulator source with translation.
Going to have to move to fuse to see if that emulator works unless this can be fixed but much prefer USP so want to avoid this if possible. Please can you help at all?
Is FUSE work with this strange keycodes?

emptybee

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your reply.

Haven't had a chance to try fuse yet but "o" is 164 because I have my pi in an old spectrum with the membrane keyboard plugged into a flexible rubber keyboard USB controller. Also found that I couldn't use caps shift+ 6 (or 7) to move down or up menu (works in console) and I think this must be something to do with the same thing.

Will read the links you posted and will see if I can figure out a solution.

Thanks,

Emptybee

emptybee

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Must add that all the other keys that I had to remap with loadkeys work unreal_speccy_portable. The arrow keys and "o" are the only ones that don't seem to. Not a huge problem in games and i have swapped the keymap so that the arrow keys don't require the shift key combo. Will only be a problem if i need to press numbers 5-8. Also my hello world program in BASIC becomes hell wrld :-( haha.

Andrey

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 pm

emptybee

Did you tried fuse?) or other emulators/programs with SDL keyboard input?

jfroco

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Hello,

I've tried this incredible emulator... but the joystick didn't work.

I managed to solved it compiling from source (it seems to be the v0.0.59)

https://bitbucket.org/djdron/unrealspec ... 722c25d4c8

And making the following changes before "make":

platform/sdl/sdl.cpp: I use the "SDL_UNUSE_FLAG" to avoid initializing video.

#ifdef SDL_UNUSE_VIDEO
    Uint32 init_flags = SDL_INIT_AUDIO;
#else
	Uint32 init_flags = SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_AUDIO;
#endif   
build/rpi/makefile: I had to add -lbcm_host (or I received an error "undefined reference to symbol 'vc_dispmanx_element_add')

LFLAGS = -s -L$(SDKSTAGE)/opt/vc/lib -lbcm_host -lGLESv2 -lEGL `sdl-config --libs` -lz -lpng
I tested it only with composite video attached to an old CRT monitor (the only way to play Light Force!)

In case you need it the binary is ready to use here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/428 ... jfroco.zip

I compiled it using 2014-09-09-wheezy-raspbian in a Raspberry Pi B. You may need to chmod +x unreal_speccy_portable

Hope this helps.

Best regards

JF

ulysess

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 am

Thks jfroco

I've added it to my PiKISS project if you don't mind :)

https://github.com/jmcerrejon/PiKISS/bl ... /speccy.sh
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

alister667

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with getting Unreal Speccy Portable on work with my joypad (Xbox 360 wireless). When I run jfroco's 0.59 binaries (launched from Emulation Station on Ultra Slim) the 2 analogue sticks work perfectly in the options and keyboard menus, but the d-pad is messed up. When I press up on the dpad, the cursor in the menus goes down. I press down it goes left, I press right it goes up and when I press left nothing happens!

When I try to use the analogue stick in game, it's as though an 'up' key was constantly being depressed, rendering them practically unusable. Even trying to redefine keys within games to suit doesn't work, it never detects 'left'.

I have to say apart from these niggles the emulator works brilliantly and looks great! I can't use FUSE as I'm not launching from Raspian.

I tried to compile my own binaries, using jfroco's instructions (many thanks) and I got it to compile OK (0.59 source, under LXDE), but it does exactly the same thing! I had a look through the source but /platform/sdl/sdl_joystick.cpp looks correct to me. I've tried other, older, binaries, but none of them have worked with the joypad either.

I guess this could be an SDL problem, but every other emulator I have set up seems to work fine with the Xbox joypad, and I don't know where else to look. I even tried a Thrustmaster Dual Analogue 3 controller and it exhibited the exact same symptoms! I was able to run the joystick test program and from LXDE and dev/js0 looks correct.

Where should I look to fix this? Is there somewhere I can alter the codes scanned from the joypad to suit the xbox controller? Does anyone else use an Xbox 360 wireless controller successfully with Unreal Speccy Portable on the Pi?

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm pretty much at the limits of my knowledge, and Chuckie Egg on my TV with a proper joypad is so damned close!

Thanks in advance.

alister667

Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:53 pm

I should add it's a model B+ if that's important.

AmigaGamer

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:30 am

I've tried jrfroco's recent build and also compiling myself from the latest bitbucket source on raspberry pi 2

Having strange problems with sound. as soon as the sound is opened i get a constant fast "clicking" sound in the background - even after the sound is stopped until the sound channel is closed (eg a reset or tape loader is started)
I've tried all the different sound options i can think of. Im using sound over hdmi

Not sure if this is version related, pi2 specific or a HDMI issue

the sound in the binary/store build 0.0.43 seems fine over hdmi on pi2

Anyone else experienced the sound issues?

Andrey

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi, guys!

Just released version 0.0.64 on Pi Store.
You can download latest build here.

What's new in this version:
  • gamepad support
  • able to specify file name to open in command line
  • able to browse files inside zip archives
  • fixed non-ASCII chars in file open dialogs
  • .szx snapshots support
  • more .rzx replays supported (with .szx snapshots inside)
  • reset to service ROM option added
  • .fdi file format support
  • fixed crash when r/w beyond of disk image
  • memory leaks, uninitialized vars, etc. fixed
  • bugfix with opening tape files when .rzx replay working

Return to “Gaming”